Table for 2?

pogieone

My wife and I will be taking our first "solo" cruise to Alaska in May, for our 19th anniversay, and were wondering if a table for two has any drawbacks. I could see a table for 4 and maybe even six being a bit claustrapobic depending on your dinning partners, but what about an intimate table for two for a week? We've cruiesed before with people we knew so we haven't thought about this until now. Any thought?

Hola,

Congrates on 19 years of wedded bliss. I can't believe that I said that, and this is from a man that has been married for 36 years. You would think that you would get time off for good behavior. All joking aside, nineteen years is a long time to put up with anybody or anything, so take pride in doing something that so few manage to do in this day and age. Celebrate this occasion and do exactly what you want. If you want the intimacy of a table for two, then by all means, request a table for two.

On our first cruise we were placed at a table for 4 and the other couple never ate in the formal dining room. After 30+ years together we crave companionship other than each other so now we request a table with at least six people. This way we meet some really neat people. We've had belly dancers, jewelers, retired teachers that now work at an amusement park that we have frequented, (small world, huh?) and train engineers. The belly dancer even got married while visiting some Mayan ruins near Progreso, so we got to hear some pretty unique stories.

But this is YOUR TRIP, you decide what you want. If we were all alike, this would be a pretty dull world.

My husband and I are going on our second 12-night cruise in August. We had a table for 2 on the last cruise and have requested one on our upcoming cruise as well. We really enjoyed the time together alone. We both work and have to travel occasionally, so it is a nice time for us to reconnect and have some "us" time without telephones, televisions, and kids. For a special occasion we would definitely request a table for 2.

It really is such a personal choice. On the QM2 my husband and I sat at a table for two and really enjoyed it. Other cruises we have been at tables for eight and those were hit and miss. You hope that you get some wonderful table companions but that does not always happen. On our 11 day Caribbean cruise the people were nice but their quirks and personalities were just too much. We were subjected to a woman who berated her poor husband at every opportunity and made him order meals that she wanted just so that she could eat his as well as her own. At the same table was a psychic who just married a firefighter who loved to talk about his bag pipe playing. Well as a surprise, he arranged a private concert (yes he brought it along!) for all the table mates. We could not say no, so we found ourselves outside on the deck at night in gale force winds listening to the echoing sounds of a bag pipe in action. I couldn't even tell you if it was good or not. I was just trying to keep my clothing from blowing away. Now this was worthy of a chuckle but by day 4 with these folks we were finding other venues for dinner. This of couse, is not an every time occurrence, but it can happen. If nothing else it makes the cruise an adventure.

We always request a table for two as well. We enjoy each other's company, after 10 years and have met other people at the pool, excursions and having cocktails. At dinner, we prefer a nice bottle of wine and just enjoying each other. Personal choice.

Archived