How to keep my laptop safe?

Tati1216

This is my first cruise and I am thinking of taking my laptop so that I can backup my pictures daily. For those that take the laptops how do you store them when you're not in the cabin? Do you bring it on with your carry on luggage? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely carry it on with you! Not only do you not want to risk theft (carry all your valuables with you), but it could be damaged with all the tossing around of luggage that occurs.

In the cabin, I put mine in the vanity drawer when I'm not in the cabin. It's not secure, but it's out of sight, except for the charging cord. I don't think you need to worry about your cabin steward, and it's doubtful that your fellow passengers would steal it, either. I'm not as vigilant as I would be on land, and (knock wood) I haven't had a problem yet.

I don't take one for that reason. I have seen mention of people locking it in a suitcase which you would have stored under the bed. Last year on my cruise to Alaska I debated taking mine to download pics. I decided to just take my memory card to the photo center on the ship and have the pics put on a disk. That worked for me. It cost 9.95 but it was worth it, not having to drag my laptop with me and then worry about it being stolen.

I don't take one for that reason. I have seen mention of people locking it in a suitcase which you would have stored under the bed. Last year on my cruise to Alaska I debated taking mine to download pics. I decided to just take my memory card to the photo center on the ship and have the pics put on a disk. That worked for me. It cost 9.95 but it was worth it, not having to drag my laptop with me and then worry about it being stolen.

I have an extremely small laptop and sometimes place it in the cabin safe.

In the late 90's I even took a photo printer with me and provided prints for my cabin steward and waiter (of themselves) to send home.

If you are only taking your laptop to back up your pictures, I'd say leave it at home. Instead of buying one gigantic memory card, buy several smaller cards. They'll be cheaper and if one fails, it won't ruin all the pictures you took. I take my laptop and use it on board to use the wireless connection, burn CD's, cheat at trivia, etc.

I assume you are a casual photographer, and not a professional or semi-pro. Most cruise ships now can transfer your pix to CD. You might be able to save some $$$ if you bring your adapter and some blank CDs and ask someone with a laptop to transfer it for you. Heck, if I'm in the Internet Cafe and someone offers to buy me a beer for transferring his pictures to a CD, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hi - My husband and I both bring our laptops as we both have jobs where we need to check in daily for emergencies. My husband has a cable that he can lock his computer to a desk leg/headboard, etc. I always just slid my laptop under the bed and I've never had any problems.

Deb

I have left mine sitting on the vanity top every cruise I have made. Mine is marked in various ways to identify it as mine, and if it should happen to "disappear" while on a cruise, I feel confident tht it will be found. I truely believe that a laptop is safer in your cabin than in your office at work.

Your cabin is locked with an electronic key (at least on HAL ships). Unless you leave your door open, its reasonably difficult for the average person to get in.

When the steward is cleaning your room they typically leave the door open so that you know they are there when you return. And I have never seen a room left open with no one there. If the steward leaves, they close the door behind them.

Just my thoughts!

Cheers,

We did the Panama Canal last October - 15 day cruise. We kept ours out on the dressing table that served nicely as a desk. Kept it powered up and in plain sight the entire cruise. Just make sure that your room door always closes securely when you leave. The room stewards aren't going to rip off something like a laptop.

Heck, we had a brain fart, and for the first 2 days of the cruise, the safe was unlocked, and she never even touched it. :eek:

Relax, and have a great cruise!

Joe

I take my laptop and use it on board to use the wireless connection, burn CD's, cheat at trivia, etc.

How much connection time do you spend to get that blue ribbon or whatever the current prize is?:D

sk8teacher, I have seen cabin stewards leave the doors propped open, then they go to get something off their cart and are distracted, leaving the cabin open for quite some time. We saw several women going into an Owners Suite and snooping around for a bit, until they saw us, at which point they sheepishly scurried off. I'm sure they were just curious to see what the cabin looked like, but not everybody has such benign intentions. Even knowing that, I still don't worry about the laptop being stolen from the vanity - I'd be more concerned about something spilling on it, so I try to keep it out of harm's way.

Thanks for all of the advice :). I feel much better about taking my laptop with me now. The reason I wanted to take it was to back up my pictures. I am told that the ships Photo Center charges about $15-20 and I am an avid photographer so I plan on taking many pictures for my scrapbook. If I had to back up my pictures every day or every other day on a 7 day cruise the cost would add up & we are on a limited budget. I really appreciate the help.

Cable locks for computers can be purchased at any place like Office Depot etc. and work great. Put the lock in the computer, wind the cable around the leg of something that it can't slip off of and turn the key. I leave mine on the desk etc and just make sure the laptop is password protected so no one can access your files.

Just be sure to put the key in the safe right away. I had one unfortunate experience with losing my cable lock key and was pretty much wondering what it would cost me to replace the hotel desk after they had to saw the leg off so I could take my laptop home until my travelling companion found the key...it had dropped into a shoe in the closet when I opened the safe! Now...I immediately put the key in the safe...tucked into a corner.

Like many other cruisers, we have a cable and lock and secure it to the desk leg when we're on board. We usually lock it in the safe when we're on shore. Going back to the dsk, we also put the computer on the chair and slide it underneath the desk. That way it's out of sight and out of mind. If someone is going to steal something, it will likely be something obvious and left in the open.

My husband downloads his shots every day - in Asia this summer he took over 1000. Although he would hate to lose his camera, he said he'd rather lose it empty than full.

Just use common sense and you should be fine. Have a great cruise and take lots of pictures!

Charlie

I bring my laptop with me to email or download pics...I just can't be totally away from civilization :p .

Anyway, I left mine plugged in and charging on the desk. I had no problems at all.

For traveling, I have a cool laptop bag that's roomy enough for all office supplies that may be needed, which also translates to roomy enough for carry on articles.:D

Archived