Attire for the ruins?

emilymad

On an upcoming cruise we are thinking about booking an excursion to Xunantunich. What type of conditions will we need to be prepared for? Do you go through the rainforest where you would need to be prepared for rain? Any muddy areas? I would normally wear sneakers but I don't want to have them ruined. We are leaving soon so I want to pack the right things. Thanks for your help! :)

Belize is hot humid and can dump a whole lot of rain on you at any moment. My wife and I were last there in 2004, it is a great country.

We are heading out on the Sun, Feb 18th, this time we have booked a tour to Xunantunich. We are wearing shorts and t-shirts, but are definitely taking our ponchos just in case the heavens open up.:)

We visited Xunantunich last August. Highly recommended! The site is beautiful and well maintained.

It did not rain during our visit, but did rain briefly on the way back. I wore regular outdoor clothes--shorts, polo shirt, sneakers, and a ballcap. I had a rain jacket in my daypack just in case. We also had insect repellant, sunblock, and bottled water. It was warm, but not hot like Tulum.

The ride there was in an air-conditioned tour bus. You transfer to minivans after the Mopan River ferry. (Too small for the bus.) There is a comfortable walk the last part of the way. Be prepared to climb steep and narrow steps (no railing--they are the the original Mayan steps) to the top of El Castillo.

Archived