How much to tip steward...

MamaParrotHead

No, I'm NOT removing my autotips, LOL. I've just never brought along a cooler before, and made a request to have it kept filled with ice. How much extra should I tip him/her for this?

Thanks!

I usually tip $10-15 extra based on all my requests for the week.

We brought a small rolling cooler and tipped $20 the first day and then an additional $40 at the end. He was the greatest! We never had to request a ice or anything else. My luggage with my formal clothes didn't catch up with us until the 2nd day and he was the one to track it down without us even knowing he was looking for it! He was more concerned then I was about it! You know women we can always buy more! To us this is the most important person to take care of for additional tipping.

OK so it is acceptable to tip your first day on the cruise on Carnival? I have tried to tip our room attendant before on RCI and was told not until the end of the cruise.

I will be going on my first CCL cruise in 10 days and I need to know this stuff. lol

I read somewhere recently that stewards may take is as an insult if you tip them before hand (and aren't actually requesting anything that would warrant it). The article said that the stewards may take it as you thinking they were unwilling or uncapable of doing their jobs unless being "paid off" from passengers. :confused:

Depends on how the week go's. Last cruise he was great and kept me with clean wine glasses all week. He also noticed that the lamp on my side of the bed was broken, I did not, he made sure that it was taken care of right away. We usually spoke to him everyday, and would ask if he needed up to pick up anything for him while we in port. He always said no, so at the end of the week, he got an extra $30.00.

The trip prior to that was a 12 day Europe. Only saw the Steward once in 12 days and that was the first day. So just left the amount that was pre-posted to the account for the entire time.

I tip the steward the recommended amount specified by the cruiseline for doing a good job. I've never had a steward that did a bad job nor one that did anything that warranted an extra tip. I really can't think of anything that you would normally ask for that's above and beyond their normal duties.

If he has done little extra things like refreshing ice daily ...etc...for a 7 day cruise, we tipped $20 at the end of the week. On our first cruise, we felt our steward went beyond the call of duty and we tipped him $10 dollars on the 4th day and then an additional $20 at the end.

I usually tip extra for the fine service I receive,

But it does seem a bit odd to tip $20 because they kept your cooler with ice... it's like you have just paid $20 for ice. I don't think it is a big bother for them to give you ice. And I don't think you need to tip extra for that alone.

I tip the Steward extra for the overall excellent service I receive... that I've always received.:)

Well, speaking for myself, we did not tip him for ice alone. I referred to the ice as being one of those things and added "etc". It was a lot of extra little things that added up...making it excellent overall service we received, I just used the ice as one of the examples. Also, I do think it is something extra when I only mentioned having some ice that first night and then he would do it twice a day..making sure our ice bucket was also filled twice daily.

I would like to reinterate what you read recently. It is an insult to tip your steward before they do anything.

We left $20.00 when we left our room for the last time. I had to go back for something and she was there and was very grateful and told me "God bless you". We saw our steward maybe 3 times the whole trip but she did a wonderful job of cleaning our room twice a day and keeping our ice bucket full. The towel animals were worth $20.00 extra.:D

I tried to tip my steward the first day and he wouldn't take it, he said to wait and see if I liked his service then I could tip him at the end. He was awesome, and I gave him $80 bucks for 2 cabins at the end of the cruise! BTW (by the way), I also had a cooler that he filled twice a day in addition to my ice bucket and and extra bucket!:)

I read somewhere recently that stewards may take is as an insult if you tip them before hand

I can tell you this, when I hand them over the 20, their hands come out right away, never seen anyone with an upset insulted face :D

If thats the case, you can insult me all you want :)

Fred

Archived