Should we fly day ahead of cruise

jbkinny

We are sailing on the Legand 2/28. For only $25 more pp on JetBlue would

we be crazy with the weather lately, to not fly a day ahead?:rolleyes:

In the winter...upstate new york....oh yeah:) Just for the peace of mind, plus you will be relaxed when you board.

We are sailing on the Legand 2/28. For only $25 more pp on JetBlue would

we be crazy with the weather lately, to not fly a day ahead?:rolleyes:

i say do it. why risk it? best case scenario, you'll have a relaxing day in sunny fla. worst case scenario, you've built a cushion into your arrival time.

I can relate the sad story of flying the high school band to Tampa to meet the cruise ship. We arrived at our regional airport, day of, at a very early hour. The sun rose upon a beautiful day--and we sat on our plane and waited and waited....due to fog in Minneapolis. By the time we finally arrived in Mpls, it was a lovely bright day, and there were no more flights or seats going South. We all went home on a bus--no trip.

We had beginner's luck in the early years--where we actually flew to London twice and met the ship day of, or flew into Florida, the 4 of us, and VAncouver, from a regional airport, without any delays--but in recent years even routine non-stop flights aren't a sure thing. The airlines are so booked there is not room to just board the next flight any longer. You , of course, are more flexible the fewer people you are traveling with--and more flexible if you are at a major airport. IN Mpls, it is only NWA.

Now i am beginning to question one day ahead---?

We not only fly in a day ahead...we drive in a day ahead (even when it is just a 5 -6 hour drive to New Orleans)

In the good ole days, everyone flew in the day of the cruise (and many still do) but with the ever shrinking seats to accommodate stranded passengers when a plane breaks down, weather rears its ugly head or all flights get delayed because someone left a suitecase unattended.... I would never fly in the day of a cruise again.

Flying just is not what it used to be.

We are on the same cruise Feb. 28 and are flying to Ft. Lauderdale from Albany, NY the day of the cruise. Scary, I know. We are using "Carnival Air" and it would cost a lot more money if we asked to "deviate" and fly down the day before. Plus DH would miss another day of work . . . so we are taking our chances again. We also took the insurance. Worst case: we would be catching the ship in St. Maarten on Saturday. Best case: Carnival will be working for us and making sure we catch the ship and will even hold the ship a short time for us. We are scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 11:04 a.m. so hopefully all goes well. Another thought: If we booked our own air and the "storm of the century" was coming in, how do you we know for sure we could get out the day before?

YES, fly in a day early! I missed the first TWO DAYS of my honeymoon cruise and set off a chain of mishaps, including losing my luggage because it flew without me, because I tried to fly in the same day as my cruise.

Be safe, plan conservatively and fly in prior to your departure day!

You are brave. I fly out of Albany and always leave a day ahead for a cruise. I believe, if you ask at the time of ordering, that you can choose the flight day since at that point it's not a deviation but a "special request". They don't have to grant it, but usually they do (or at least I've had good luck).

We are on the same cruise Feb. 28 and are flying to Ft. Lauderdale from Albany, NY the day of the cruise. Scary, I know. We are using "Carnival Air" and it would cost a lot more money if we asked to "deviate" and fly down the day before. Plus DH would miss another day of work . . . so we are taking our chances again. We also took the insurance. Worst case: we would be catching the ship in St. Maarten on Saturday. Best case: Carnival will be working for us and making sure we catch the ship and will even hold the ship a short time for us. We are scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 11:04 a.m. so hopefully all goes well. Another thought: If we booked our own air and the "storm of the century" was coming in, how do you we know for sure we could get out the day before?

Nor do I think that JetBlue has a baggage agreement with the major international air carriers. If your baggage should not arrive before sailing another carrier may not accept JetBlue bags for forwarding to first port of call. :eek:

Always Always fly in the day before!

We usually cruise out of Galveston, but we had frequent flyer miles that we needed to use, so we booked the Victory out of Miami and flew in a day early. Ironically, the flight we took left late but we had no worries!

If you can, always fly in the day before. You never know what might happen.

Definately come in the day ahead. You'll be able to board early (and enjoy more time on the ship) and you'll get on board relaxed and refreshed instead of frazzled.

We too have taken to the addage of DRIVING in the day before. On our last cruise (and first, I might add) we were detoured on the way home due to wild fires. We acutally had to drive south before we could go north..the whole highway leading into port canaveral was shut down. Can you imagine how stressful it would have been had that occured on our way to the cruise rather than from?

YES, fly in a day early! I missed the first TWO DAYS of my honeymoon cruise and set off a chain of mishaps, including losing my luggage because it flew without me, because I tried to fly in the same day as my cruise.

Be safe, plan conservatively and fly in prior to your departure day!

Totally off topic....Honeywell, I love your icon! It's lovely.

Now, onto topic....the day ahead....always! You can have a nice dinner, a good night's sleep and arrive at the ship rested and ready for a wonderful cruise.

:o Thank-you everyone! Logged on to Jetblue this morning to change to a day ahead and the price had dropped so did not even have to pay a penny more. Lucky us!!!!!. now have to find a hotel in FLL. Does anyone

have adivse on where to stay?

:o Thank-you everyone! Logged on to Jetblue this morning to change to a day ahead and the price had dropped so did not even have to pay a penny more. Lucky us!!!!!. now have to find a hotel in FLL. Does anyone

have adivse on where to stay?

To book through Priceline, esepcially if I don't have anywhere specific I'm wanting to stay.

Archived