Back from the SUN 2/4/07-The Good-The Bad-and the UGLY

IDKaren

Cruised the SUn 1/28/07-2/4/07. Had one night in New Orleans to see just a bit of the Quarter- it was pouring down rain but saw a little. A WONDERFUL lady on CC was nice enough to come and rescue us from the airport and shuttle us in- THANKS Maureen!!

Stayed at the Country Inn Garden/Suites- nice refurbished warehouse hotel about 5 blocks from the quarter- wonderful service- great rooms-would definitely recommend it. TOO far to walk to pier- get a taxi!

Ok-- The GOOD

Embarakation was fast but oh so UGLY (see it later) Got right int our rooms-luggage showed up about 2 hrs later- MINUS a back pack which dumb me had left my medication in. At 7 we received a notice that it had been confiscated as a possible danger(?)-could only pick up till 9 so I am glad we got early notice- it was a 12 pack of batteries that they did not like on xray machine-so I got it back- thats GOOD!

SERVICE- our room attendants were wonderful- room was spotless-always clean towels etc. Sweet and busy young men.

ROOM- Had a balcony cabin on 8th floor- loved it- LOTS of storage room-seemed to have more places to put things than other rooms we have had

FOOD- Ate at Seven Seas once and Four Seasons twice. Service was wonderful- when you go to Four Seasons- find RALUCCA-from Romania-she is a sweetie and goes out of her way for you. Food- well-it was okay-lots of choices- great presentation and everyone else in my party liked it- Me personally- I did not but it is my fault- I am an ex farm girl with a meat and potatoes appetite and all those fancy things were not to my liking- however- kudos to me- I did try them! Buffet food I found was actually quite good cept those RUNNY scrambled eggs every one mentions!

SHOWS- enjoyed the Jean annRyan group on some- did not on others. The Hypnotist was great- daughter went up and it was all hilarious. Be sure and check out 60280-young Phillipina group that can and will sing everything- saw them on the Dream 2 years ago -GREAT group.

DISEMBARKING- very smooth at end- Tendering was a royal PAIN at Belize but we survive

THE BAD:(

DRINKS- WHY do they have to be SO darned expensive. $9.00 for a drink that they must have just waved the cork over. NOT!!! Brother did enjoy the helmets of 6 beers for $19- at least they can't water those down.

EAST MEETS WEST- tried to get an early 1/2 price reservation-they say they do not do that anymore! Ate there one night- service was awful-friendly but awful- they kept mixing up all the orders-took forever to get it right. My steak had an "off" bad taste-had to send it back and everyones lobster was way overdone as well as the steaks. Bread was good:)

EXCURSIONS- people in my party were very dis-satisfied with their SHIP excursions- TRIED to tell them but NO they would not listen- we did our own at Belize and Guatemala with recs from CC -their Ruin excursion was awful- long- not that interesting and they were way late for the ship. OURS were great- more on those in port calls

OK- THE UGLY:eek:

EMBARKATION--- I had called reg NCL customer service TWICE and Latitudes TWICE PLUS had read it many times on CC- can NON Lattitudes in a group check in at Lattitudes counter. I had paid for all 6 and was putting 4 of 6 on MY credit card. NOOOO problem they said. Got to the pier- security NCL guy- NOOO problem- sent us all to the Latitudes check in line- only 20 people vs 100 or so in reg. We were refused and NOT politely- the guys was a jerk about it. Explained that I was paying for shp onboard credit etc and I was not going to stand in the now 200 person line all over. NOPE!!! arrrgg. Finally testosterone of the agent and my husband overflowed and I thought they were going to go at it. He sent me to a supervisor who at first said YES we had to go into the now 300 person check in line- when I explained about payment and how everyone said it was ok she FINALLY told him to do it and he refused to check my husband in- only the other 5-that he would have to wait in the now 400 person line!! She made him do it- I told him to "Have a nice day" and I was sorry for my husband being a jerk but that they REALLY had to make sure everyone knew the rules and didnt' give out different ino:o Not a great way to start the day!

Not NCLS fault- but UGLY- Had a group of 600 Cajuns on the ship from a radio cruise promotion. Not ALL mind you but MANY were the rudest-loudes-most obnoxious people I have ever seen:eek: Find- party it up=get drunk etc- but DON"T come down the corriders at 2am hooting and laughing and banging around and the sit out on your balcony till 4 doing the same. JUST my two cents- it was awful!

Sorry this is long- wanted to cover it all. SHip looked great- new paint- some new carpet. Would go again in a minute!

Wonder why they said no 2 for 1 for early seating in East Meet West? Everything that I have read about the Sun says they have it. :confused:

Sounds like your cruise was "challenging" to say the least. Sorry so many things went wrong, but you are ready to sail again, so that says something.:)

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on the Sun on Feb 25-Mar 4. Only 20 more days!:D

Wonder why they said no 2 for 1 for early seating in East Meet West? Everything that I have read about the Sun says they have it. :confused:

Sounds like your cruise was "challenging" to say the least. Sorry so many things went wrong, but you are ready to sail again, so that says something.:)

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on the Sun on Feb 25-Mar 4. Only 20 more days!:D

They say that they do not do that anymore!~ I am wondering from others on the SUN if they do? Specifically asked- NOPE- No more! Enjoy your cruise!!

I am going on the Sun in April from New Orleans, I have preregistered and have a lattitudes #. I am presuming the check in you described is to give a credit card for extra expenses.

Any help would appreciated

Sue

I am going on the Sun in April from New Orleans, I have preregistered and have a lattitudes #. I am presuming the check in you described is to give a credit card for extra expenses.

Any help would appreciated

Sue

Yes...when you check in you give them your credit card for any ship purchases, your gratuities etc. With the Latitudes number you will be able to go through the much shorter line! Any other questions- just ask!

I am assuming that you have to previously cruised with NCL to be a lattitudes member and use the short line at embarkation. Everyone preregisters and gets a lattitudes number but don't you actually have to be a member to use the short line?

Mac:):):)

You are considered a lattitudes member on your second cruise and then use the short line.

what if you have cruised with NCL before, but don't know your latitudes number & it's not on your paperwork? Can you still go thru the shorter line?

i read in another board that there was smoke in the atrium and other areas from smoking did you notice this. also they complained about tables put out on sea day selling purses jewelry etc and that the sellers were loud and pushy. sorry for the problems but glad some was good. not all cajuns are loud and rude, some are really nice people sorry for the bad ones :)

We experienced these problems and more! We went to East Meets West the first night and it was terrible. We mentioned how bad it was on our comment card and they refunded the price. That was nice. But I found the help to be sullen and when we asked a question they were very short with us. On previous cruises with other companies the employees from the higher ranking officers down to the lowest crew member was friendly and spoke to us. We were passed several times by the same officer (who I believe is in charge of the buffet area) and he didn't even look at us. Not that I need their recognition but he could at least smile or something. The smoke screen in the Atrium on the 7th floor was a bit annoying some days. I noticed a sewer smell in our bathroom and called. After 2 days they came and it was fine for one day then the very next day it was back. Yuck!!! Don't try to steem any clothes in that bathroom. I noticed the same smell near the 7 Seas Restaurant. I was disappointed with the food in general. The breakfast was terrible. The eggs as everyone knows are liquid, the pancakes and french toast are always cold and the waffles...don't even bother to stand in line. We even went to the dinning room and it was the same exact food! Runny eggs, cold pancakes, at least the bacon was always crisp and the sausage was good. All in all I really wouldn't said NCL again. Far less service, lower quality food for the same price. I think I will try Royal Caribbean.

I agree with the other post my family and I were also on this cruise. This is my 1st time the NCL and I don't know if my expectations were high, but I will only sail Royal Caribbean. We chose this cruise because we were with the KTDY Radio station out of Lafayette. This was our first cruise with them and probably the last. The food was o.k., but after a couple of days of cold food, runny eggs it got old. We only saw our room steward one night. The shows in the Stardust Lounge were pretty good. Overall I would rate this cruise at a 5.

I am assuming that you have to previously cruised with NCL to be a lattitudes member and use the short line at embarkation. Everyone preregisters and gets a lattitudes number but don't you actually have to be a member to use the short line?

Mac:):):)

Yes--if that is the way it is "supposed" to be that is great. But they all need to be on the same page when you call and ask. If we KNEW we would have gone immediately into the "all" check in line and not the Latitude line. ALL 3 cabins were going on MY credit card so we all needed to be together to check in-I told the Latitudes customer service this and they said "NO problem" so we "assumed" we would be ok- I know- NEVER "assume" cuz it will be a mess. ANYWAY- we did all get checked in-and next time I will know but they STILL should give you proper information when you call 4 times about it! But "its all GOOD" and over with now

i read in another board that there was smoke in the atrium and other areas from smoking did you notice this. also they complained about tables put out on sea day selling purses jewelry etc and that the sellers were loud and pushy. sorry for the problems but glad some was good. not all cajuns are loud and rude, some are really nice people sorry for the bad ones :)

I ddn't really notice any smoke in the atrium and I hate smoke- the only place I really was bothered with it was in the Disco- Dazzles- but thats cuz it was such close quarters. There were tables with items to buy but the sales people never even spoke to anyone without someone buying. There were some fun things to buy. NO PROBLEM- i will not juddge ALL Cajuns by the ones that were so obnoxious- they do not corner the market on that one and most were wonderful and really fun people- always a few to make a bad mane for some:)

Archived