Where is the best place to buy Blue Mountain Coffee?

bar1986

I bought a pound of ground Blue Mountain in Jamaica. I do not care for it; it is weak and tasteless. Maybe whole beans are better. By the way, I did check the expiration date, 08/07, so it's not that it's stale.

I know that you didn't ask for an opinion, but thought that maybe it might be helpful regarding the ground variety.

I bought some Whole Bean Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee in Ocho Rios and it's delicious. I think I paid $15-$20 for the bag I bought but I couldn't tell you exactly what I spent. I happened to pick mine up in a cigar shop that my husband stopped in, and as we wandered about through several other shops, they had the exact same coffee for the same price. I want to say I picked it up at Island Village, but it could have been the other shopping center over by the Hard Rock Cafe. I can't remember now. Either way, the coffee is awesome.

The first time we went to Jamaica we did the waterfalls in Ocho Rios and on the way back to the ship, we stopped at some shops by the bend down markets. The cruise director suggested we only by the Jablum brand and it was awesome. I couldn't wait to buy some more when we went back last year. We did a tour to Negril and stopped at the shops on the way back. I accidently bought Blue Mountain Coffee instead of the Jablum brand. I was terribly disappointed with its taste. In fact I still have 2 pounds left because I did not like the Blue Mountain. When we go back in June I plan to get the Jablum brand by the shops at the Pier. This was awesome Blue Mt. Coffee, but just get the specific brand. I also heard just buy the whole beans.

I bought a pound of ground Blue Mountain in Jamaica. I do not care for it; it is weak and tasteless. Maybe whole beans are better. By the way, I did check the expiration date, 08/07, so it's not that it's stale.

I know that you didn't ask for an opinion, but thought that maybe it might be helpful regarding the ground variety.

I have to agree. I bought Jablum last year and found it rather bland. Big ripoff at double the price of Dunkin or Starbucks, and triple the price of Eight O'Clock and other major brands.

I was also not too impressed with the whole bean blue mountain I purchased last month on our cruise. On the other hands, we found some wonderful whole beans in Costa Rica and Panama...much fuller and richer flavor than the relatively bland blue mountain...but perhaps what I actually purchased in Jamaica was not true blue mountain coffee?

When in Jamacia or Costa Rica, I perfer to find a Grocey store and go buy my coffee off the shelf and not at a tourism gift shop. Price is better and you get what you pay for.

With that said Who knows where a grocey store is in Ocho Rios? I was there about 4 years ago and thought AI remeber seeing one to the left of the pier about half way down to the flea/straw market? can anyone confirm???

. . . relatively bland blue mountain...but perhaps what I actually purchased in Jamaica was not true blue mountain coffee?

Excactly my thoughts when I posted about Blue Mountain coffee yesterday. My question then, and now, is how do you know you're getting real Jamaican coffee? As opposed to some cheap junk coffee that some local vendor dumped into a fancy bag?

If you could sample before buying, you'd know what you're getting. Are there any stores or coffee shops in Ocho Rios that will offer a sample, or let you buy a cup of coffee before you invest $20 for a pound of beans?

If you could sample before buying, you'd know what you're getting. Are there any stores or coffee shops in Ocho Rios that will offer a sample, or let you buy a cup of coffee before you invest $20 for a pound of beans?

Ask the ship director or shopping expert, they are the ones that pointed us in the direction of real Blue Mountain.

Archived