Sometimes you don't know the background

Ships R Great

There are those of us on these boards who may be critical of others, on land and on sea. But we never know what baggage others are carrying around, especially crew members on ships, who are far from their loved ones unable to effect the lives iof their families back home. Click on this link for a poignant reminder.

http://www.teachermovie.com/

Your jolt of reality isn't quite so real.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_teddy_stoddard.htm

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/teddy.asp

And many others.

Good message nontheless and the fact that this is completely made up doesn't change the idea behind it.

PS Whoever's voice that was narrating the tale was extremely annoying.

Your jolt of reality isn't quite so real.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_teddy_stoddard.htm

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/teddy.asp

And many others.

Good message nontheless and the fact that this is completely made up doesn't change the idea behind it.

Wow! You didn't have to look that hard to find out that it was a work of fiction. It's actually clearly stated at the end...."from a fictional story written by Elizabeth Ballard (Ungar) published in 1976 by Home Life magazine as 'Three Letters from Teddy.'"

Thanks Ships for sharing that bit of inspiration.

Barb

Wow! You didn't have to look that hard to find out that it was a work of fiction. It's actually clearly stated at the end...."from a fictional story written by Elizabeth Ballard (Ungar) published in 1976 by Home Life magazine as 'Three Letters from Teddy.'"

Oh well, missed it cause I couldn't make it to the end due to the overenthusiasm of the narrator (voice was the wrong description earlier cause it was more his tone) in trying way too hard to sound all emotional and what not sounding so completely forced and fake.

Was pretty predictable what was going to happen by the time they started with the "4 years later" train of thought.

But, like I said, the message is a good one and is certainly food for thought and something to keep in mind because we've all come across that individual who makes us think "What's his/her problem anyway?"

Thanks Ships for sharing that bit of inspiration.

Barb

Yes Barb, You're right...It is stated in the end that it is fictional. (I think that some people just jump & grump immediately). I want to join you in saying "thanks for posting, ShipsRgreat...It was a very nice story."

but stories like this are! I teach high school, and very much appreciate you sharing this, Ships. Despite the touch of melodrama, stories like this, are indeed, not uncommon. I could give a hundred examples, but I'll share just one so readers understand that people do carry unbearable baggage and sometimes are doing the best they can every moment.

I had a student once who pestered me to death, always seeking attention. He was a very bright boy -- I loved him to death and he was a wonderful kid, but just a pest many times. I mentioned his incessant need for attention to a friend, who told me how the boy's father had shot himself in the head, right in the family's garage. The boy is the one who found his body. The mother had to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital. Can you imagine? At 15 years old?? He was living with an elderly grandmother when I taught him. And the man who told me this story was the sheriff's deputy who pried the boy's hands off of his dead father and drove the mother to hospital. I could tell so many more stories -- maybe not so graphic, but heartbreaking nonetheless.

Yes -- we all need to be a little more tolerant of others. I'm not sure how anyone could watch this without crying, fictitious or otherwise. The reality is, this world is full of Teddy's. :( THanks again for sharing this.

Archived