Has anyone gone whitewater rafting?

Andiamo39

We're trying to decide whether to go rafting or to take the canal excursion. Has anyone gone whitewater rafting? If so, how long (and uncomfortable) was the bus ride out there? How miserable would we be if it's raining that day? (The canal boats all have canopys covering them). Has anyone even read reviews about the white water rafting excursions? If so where?

Thanks

We're trying to decide whether to go rafting or to take the canal excursion. Has anyone gone whitewater rafting? If so, how long (and uncomfortable) was the bus ride out there? How miserable would we be if it's raining that day? (The canal boats all have canopys covering them). Has anyone even read reviews about the white water rafting excursions? If so where?

Thanks

We did this excursion a few years back. Honestly I was terrified at the thought, but we met another couple who was doing this tour. We were inseperable during this cruise so, I got roped into going. I had the best time ever! The bus ride was long but the tour guide talked about everything we would be doing. He was funny, and very informative. I usually HATE stuff like that but it was fine. By the time we got there I was ready to get in the water...it was hot. It was thrilling, exciting, fun! We laughed, we swam/floated in the calm areas. The guides were great and there really was no danger, it is dam controlled flow.

They stopped at a little bar/snak food place, which I think now they own and provide foor...

Beers were $.50 so we stocked up for the ride back. The bus ride was insignificant, just more time to laugh, and hang out with our friends.

I proudly told everyone at home about the class III rapids. I tell people who do the rafting here in New Mexico, and Colorado, "since I have rafted in Costa Rica I could not imagine rafting in that cold water.";)

If it's raining...you get wet! If it's not raining...you get wet. ??? I think rain would have been a welcome relief from the heat and humidity. That wasn't horrible eaither, I just got in the water as often as I could.

Good Luck! Happy Cruising!

We did rafting with Danillo Hall as our guide . it was one of the best times off the ship we've had on 15 cruises. The rafting guides were great and Danillo took great care of us. Also we did zip line the same day after rafting. if you need his e-mail for more info look at the Danillo Hall post.

Corey

We did rafting with Danillo Hall as our guide . it was one of the best times off the ship we've had on 15 cruises. The rafting guides were great and Danillo took great care of us. Also we did zip line the same day after rafting. if you need his e-mail for more info look at the Danillo Hall post.

Corey

Corey, how did you book with him?

I have the same question about how skilled or fit you need to be to participate. I can swim and hold an oar but if you were in my boat and depended on me to steer or otherwise be considered a skilled oar person we would be in a sorry state. :eek:

I have the same question about how skilled or fit you need to be to participate. I can swim and hold an oar but if you were in my boat and depended on me to steer or otherwise be considered a skilled oar person we would be in a sorry state. :eek:

I am doing it and I have two bad knees, two bad hips but strong arms. I have heard only good things about this tour and I can't wait. I leave in 37 days I just had double hernia surgery and still it won't stop me. This is the one tour BOTH DH and I are totally physced about and can't wait. I almost forgot to add I am 48

I also have bad knees. I think we will sign up as it sounds just a bit outside my comfort area and I'm excited about that.

What do you wear on the actual rafting part of the trip? I guess I'd wear shorts & a t-shirt on the bus and bring a bathing suit to put on for the rafting? Or would you wear a suit with shorts?

I'd also like to wear my water shoes. Am I on target or totally off the mark?

Thanks!

I am going on this tour with RCCL next month and I ordered outrigger shorts from lands end. They are basically shorts with a built in bathing suit in it. I bought them last year and just got another pair last week. They are really comfy but dry really quick like a suit but keep you covered like shorts. Also land's end makes a sea and sport shoe which is a combination sneaker and water shoe. They are great, both these come in men's and women's . You still have plenty of time to order them online since they ship really quickly.

We went rafting while in Limon in Dec and really enjoyed it. My only complaint was that it was too short - only about 50 minutes on the river, partially because the river was running high due to rains. It drizzles off and on, but we did not care. We were getting wet anyway. After the rafting they took is to a rea=staurant for lunch where there were bathrooms for us to change in.

We choose to go with Carnival even though we usually do not take ship tours because we did not have a lot of time in port and I did not want to chance missing the boat. In addition, the cost difference was minimal.

You do not have to be very fit to raft. We did do a little paddling, but our guide did most of the work. However, you do have to be able to go over about 50 feet of rough terrain at the end of the rafting to get to the road. In addition, you have to be able to brace yourself while sitting on the edge of the raft which might be difficult for those of you with bad knees.

Since I burn easily, I wore a bathing suit with a tee shirt over it and water shoes.

Good morning everyone. I have been debatig on where to to the white water rafting or canopy adventure while in port. I've seen the name Danillo Hall being thrown around, I'm sorry to sound stupid but is he a private rafting guide. We usually do not book ship excursions and go on our own, but I am concerned about the long bus ride people are mentioning from the port to where the rafting starts. Looking for some feed back. Is the cost savings between carnival and the the private companies that different in this port? Also I see that the rafting in Costa Rica is only listed at class 3 is it worth it we will be there in July so I'm not sure if that's a good time of year to raft there. I've done class 4 and 5, but my wife has never rafted so maybe this would be a good way to introdcue her to white water rafting. Thanks everyone any input would be appreciated. Happy cruising.

Rich

Good morning everyone. I have been debatig on where to to the white water rafting or canopy adventure while in port. I've seen the name Danillo Hall being thrown around, I'm sorry to sound stupid but is he a private rafting guide. We usually do not book ship excursions and go on our own, but I am concerned about the long bus ride people are mentioning from the port to where the rafting starts. Looking for some feed back. Is the cost savings between carnival and the the private companies that different in this port? Also I see that the rafting in Costa Rica is only listed at class 3 is it worth it we will be there in July so I'm not sure if that's a good time of year to raft there. I've done class 4 and 5, but my wife has never rafted so maybe this would be a good way to introdcue her to white water rafting. Thanks everyone any input would be appreciated. Happy cruising.

Rich

I priced the private tour and the ship's tour through RCCL and it was a very minimal difference like 4 or 5$ per person and with the distance we definitely decided to do it through the ship. Also the river is dam controlled so they can maintain the rapids if in the lower rainfall months. I did a ton of research about this tour.

Archived