Which would you choose?

Ronaldo807

I am reaching out to everyone hear for some solid advice. For my honeymoon in June of 2008 I plan on taking an Alaskan cruise. My question to all of you is which cruise line would you choose?

I've been on both RCCL and Carnival, enjoyed both, but wasn't as satisfied with Carnival as I was with RCCL.

I want to know from your experiences, which cruise line, any of them, has either been amazing in Alaska or has always been your favorite? I appreciate everyone's help on this big decision.

I am an NCL fan first, but would not take NCL in Alaska as they only do roundtrips from Seattle or Vancouver.

I have been to Alaska twice, once by cruiseship, Northbound from Vancouver to Seward and we spend another week exlporing the interior of Alaska, up to Denali, Fairbanks, Artic circle, etc. The other time was a month backpacking in the interior when i was 20.

The inside passage is beautiful and not to be missed but since this is usually a once in a lifetime trip as it is not cheap, i would recomend a northbound trip with a week exlloring on your own or through a cruisetour or a southbound with 1 week before your cruise ending in vancouver.

We took the RCCl Vision of the Seas and it was an awesome trip.

Please email me with any questions and also take a look at the Alaska Board there are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge there to help you plan.

since your listed this on the NCL board, that's what i will tell you.

you did the NCL star last year and loved it. round trip out of seattle.

this year their new ship, pearl, is doing that route. glacier bay was outstanding.

but go to the port of call - alaska, they will give you more information on the different lines and what to expect.

i say...go to the port town's website and do your research. figure your budget, divide up by cruise $$ and excursion $$..start from there.

While I do agree with Pieshops about the itinerary, Freestyle really works well with Alaska. I cannot imagine spending a day of active shore excursions and then coming back to the ship to dress for dinner at a specific time.

I do not deny that I am a big freestyle fan, so take it for what its worth.

freestyle did work beautifully with cruising alaska. DH has said several time about how he will have a hard time with a set dining time.

i keep hearing other say how they won't cruise out of seattle.

BUT it was so easy, flying into seattle..a 20 min taxi ride to the ship.

our "open sea" time was only the 1st night, by 11am we were in the

inside passage. i can't think of any easier, nicer way to take this cruise. unless you have the time to do a land tour around denali, then you have to take a 1-way NB or SB. don't rule out seattle...both the pearl and the star cruise from there. the pearl will do glacier bay!!

Hello,

Suggest that you consider Celebrity and Princess as both have ships to Alaska. I am not saying that Celebrity or Princess provide a superior cruise experience than the others. You should however, have as wide a selection of cruises as possible to choose from.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Archived