Scenic Railroad with Carnival

mayfly511

We are booked thru carnival for the scenic railroad. My question is this - it says we are in port until 4 pm which means you need to be back on board by 3:30. The tour runs from 12:30-4pm. Has anyone done this recently and when do you actually get back. When I talked to a carnival rep they said that if it interferred with our cruise times then it wouldn't be offered to us but that didn't really satisfy me enough. I hope someone out there can answer this for me.

Thanks in advance for your help

The actual St. Kitts Scenic Railway Tour "running time" is from 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM (3 hours). This is 2 hours on the train (18 miles) and about 45 minutes on the sightseeing bus (12 miles). Carnival has the tour written up as "3 1/2 hours" in their tour information, but that time is actually approximate, as the tour runs faster than that, and so you will be back around 3:30 PM with plenty of time. There is never any worry about the ship leaving passengers who are on a regularly scheduled Shore Excursion. The Shorex staff know where you are, and are in constant contact with the tour operators if any tour runs a little late. Just sit back and relax, and enjoy your experience. They take good care of you on the little "Sugar Train" in St. Kitts.

Rail Traveler

We are booked thru carnival for the scenic railroad. My question is this - it says we are in port until 4 pm which means you need to be back on board by 3:30. The tour runs from 12:30-4pm. Has anyone done this recently and when do you actually get back. When I talked to a carnival rep they said that if it interferred with our cruise times then it wouldn't be offered to us but that didn't really satisfy me enough. I hope someone out there can answer this for me.

Took this excursion 2 weeks ago on the Carnival Legend. Pax on the 12:30 p.m. trip got back in plenty of time for sail away.

Railway excursion was popular enough that an earlier trip was actually offered on that cruise. DH & I booked on the 9:30 a.m. trip. The 9:30 trip was not offered on line but was available to book on the ship. We booked the first day right after boarding. Both the 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. trips were booked up within 24 hours of sail away.

Dianne

We just returned from a 14-day cruise with Princess. Since my DH loves trains, we opted to take the St. Kitt's Scenic Railway tour offered by Princess. The day was pleasant enough, but you really do not see all that much, unless you enjoy seeing several sugar cane fields that are dying away and the back yards of the poor islanders. The open bar service was nice (figured if I drank enough I could possible justify the cost of the tour!)

The people of St. Kitts are very nice, but the island is not very clean. Except for the new port and dockside shopping area, the island had not changed much, since we were there 20 years ago! Next time, we'll probably just stay on board or just peruse the products in the shops nearby.

Some people really enjoyed their day at the beach. Since we live in Florida, we only swam/snorkeled at a few ports.

Hope this is helpful!:rolleyes:

We just returned from a 14-day cruise with Princess. Since my DH loves trains, we opted to take the St. Kitt's Scenic Railway tour offered by Princess. The day was pleasant enough, but you really do not see all that much, unless you enjoy seeing several sugar cane fields that are dying away and the back yards of the poor islanders. The open bar service was nice (figured if I drank enough I could possible justify the cost of the tour!)

The people of St. Kitts are very nice, but the island is not very clean. Except for the new port and dockside shopping area, the island had not changed much, since we were there 20 years ago! Next time, we'll probably just stay on board or just peruse the products in the shops nearby.

Some people really enjoyed their day at the beach. Since we live in Florida, we only swam/snorkeled at a few ports.

Hope this is helpful!:rolleyes:

Not every excursion is great for every cruiser. That's why there is a diverse selection of excursions on most cruises.

I guess DH & I got a bit more from our train excursion in St. Kitts. Enjoyed seeing the goats grazing along the rail tracks and have some great photos to remember the view we had of the beaches and blue waters from the train car. We knw going into the excursion that we would be seeing the ``back yards'' of the islands. Train tracks don't run down the center the main streets.

As far as the sugar cane fields ``dying away,'' our eyes saw field after field of sugar cane that renews itself each year waiting until the islanders can find a way to profit from the crop that continues to grow even though it is no longer harvested to grow. I was raised on a farm in Ohio. Sure wish the corn and bean fields could continue to renew themselves without replanting like the cane fields of St. Kitts.

And yes, the train trip takes you through areas where the people live in what many Americans would consider ``poor'' conditions - which is no different that many of the Carribbean islands visited. Poor is how you see it in your own eyes, I guess. Like you said, the people are friendly and they are happy. To me, that's not ``poor,'' that's an island of people who are grateful for what they have.

Dianne

• 2 weeks later...

It's always what the viewer percieves, from their perspective, and thus it's always difficult for a small destination to be that "thing" for everyone. A railroad tour that runs past a golf course and a new housing subdivision might be a beautiful view for one person, while for another person it might be less interesting.

I usually try to leave my American bias and sensibilities behind when I travel if at all possible. I think I see my surroundings more clearly.

St. Kitts is NOT a poor country. The people are not living under bridges in cardboard or corrugated metal shacks. The slums don't rise up the side of mountains at the edge of cities like they do outside of Lima, Peru. I was doing a railroad project in Panama prior to the start-up of the passenger service there, and the terrible barios in Colon were something I will never forget. It is all in what you yourself percieve as "poor".

In St. Kitts the people are not starving, or desperate. Their houses are getting new paint, or adding a second floor. They seem optomistic. They have prospects. As the train rolls through the villages you pass by the schools, and the children are smiling, and waving, all in uniform. Farmers are out in their fields working, planting, waving. We passed a postman walking between the villages, delivering the mail. Fruit grows on the trees.

Even though the sugar industry has closed, the sugar cane itself is not dying out. There are in fact plans underway to transition the cane fields, keeping some of the cane growing in place for critical soil erosion control, and some for possible use in niche sugar product development (sugar for niche "green" markets, and specialty rum). There are studies being done on using the cane for biomass and even ethinol. Sugar cane will still be a part of the viewshed on St. Kitts for years to come.

I personally didn't take exception to the Scenic Railway Tour ticket price. That, too, is relative, and you'll get different reactions to pricing from different people. There are people who think that Amtrak's US $149 coach ticket from Seattle to Chicago is too expensive. But I do think that if you have the opportunity to see an entire country from the back door perspective...in St. Kitts with mountains, volcanos, laughing children, goats, pigs, chickens, monkeys, tall bridges spanning deep canyons, abandoned overgrown British sugar estates, and crashing blue ocean surf with distant views of other islands like St. Barts, St. Maarten, Saba, and Statia...all of it with a ride on a facinating narrow gauge railway train...by all means, do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Not every excursion is great for every cruiser. That's why there is a diverse selection of excursions on most cruises.

I guess DH & I got a bit more from our train excursion in St. Kitts. Enjoyed seeing the goats grazing along the rail tracks and have some great photos to remember the view we had of the beaches and blue waters from the train car. We knw going into the excursion that we would be seeing the ``back yards'' of the islands. Train tracks don't run down the center the main streets.

As far as the sugar cane fields ``dying away,'' our eyes saw field after field of sugar cane that renews itself each year waiting until the islanders can find a way to profit from the crop that continues to grow even though it is no longer harvested to grow. I was raised on a farm in Ohio. Sure wish the corn and bean fields could continue to renew themselves without replanting like the cane fields of St. Kitts.

And yes, the train trip takes you through areas where the people live in what many Americans would consider ``poor'' conditions - which is no different that many of the Carribbean islands visited. Poor is how you see it in your own eyes, I guess. Like you said, the people are friendly and they are happy. To me, that's not ``poor,'' that's an island of people who are grateful for what they have.

Dianne

Very well said! I totally agree with you!

Good Afternoon, I have severe arthritis in my knees and walk with the aid of a cane. I would very much like to take this trin, but am concerned about the bus trip home more then the 2-hours of sitting. Can you ride the train round-trip? What is the bus like?

Thanks

mayfly511...I hope you don't find my question rude.:o but could you tell me how much you paid for this excursion? GF and I are thinking about booking this for our upcoming cruise as it seems a very interesting tour.

Thanks

mayfly511...I hope you don't find my question rude.:o but could you tell me how much you paid for this excursion? GF and I are thinking about booking this for our upcoming cruise as it seems a very interesting tour.

Thanks

I'm not the OP but I'll jump in here to say DH & I paid somewhere around $100pp (a few more or less) for the excursion on our Legend Cruise in early Feb. this year. Carnival excursion price is only a few dollars more than the price offered by the rail company in St. Kitts -- Carnival's price includes the cost of the bus trip to the railway.

We found it well worth our money. The historical information provided by the tour guides was very interesting and the scenery was beautiful.

Dianne

Good Afternoon, I have severe arthritis in my knees and walk with the aid of a cane. I would very much like to take this trin, but am concerned about the bus trip home more then the 2-hours of sitting. Can you ride the train round-trip? What is the bus like?

Thanks

You will ride a bus to and from the railway. The rides are not long, maybe 20 minutes tops. The tour guides were quite helpful and friendly and I'm sure they will be very helpful in getting you on and off the bus as well as on to the train.

As far as the train goes, if you have severe arthritis in your knees you probably will be more comfortable sitting in the lower section of the train car. The cars have a lower inside section and an upper section that is out in the open air. The steps up to the upper section are a bit steep.

Either section of the train will give you a great view and you will be able to hear the tour guide in both sections of the train cars.

Dianne

I'm not the OP but I'll jump in here to say DH & I paid somewhere around $100pp (a few more or less) for the excursion on our Legend Cruise in early Feb. this year. Carnival excursion price is only a few dollars more than the price offered by the rail company in St. Kitts -- Carnival's price includes the cost of the bus trip to the railway.

We found it well worth our money. The historical information provided by the tour guides was very interesting and the scenery was beautiful.

Dianne

Thank you so much for your response Dianne

My cruise is still a long way off but I like to plan ahead:). It does seem to be a GREAT tour and we really want to do it. I am also a history buff so I find it very appealing.

Thanks again

Thank you so much for your response Dianne

My cruise is still a long way off but I like to plan ahead:). It does seem to be a GREAT tour and we really want to do it. I am also a history buff so I find it very appealing.

Thanks again

You are truly welcome, Keith. Hope you enjoy the Sugar Cane Railway as much as we did.

I see you are from Barbados. I would like to thank you for your beautiful, friendly island. We were there last year and realllllly enjoyed our short time in Barbados. DH & I are both looking forward to visiting again. Have to say we had the best fish sandwich we've ever had in our 59 years of life in Barbados. :cool:

Dianne

You are truly welcome, Keith. Hope you enjoy the Sugar Cane Railway as much as we did.

I see you are from Barbados. I would like to thank you for your beautiful, friendly island. We were there last year and realllllly enjoyed our short time in Barbados. DH & I are both looking forward to visiting again. Have to say we had the best fish sandwich we've ever had in our 59 years of life in Barbados. :cool:

Dianne

You are welcome Dianne( I wish I could take credit for its beauty but that is just natural:)) but thank you on behalf of my fellow barbadians. I hope you will be able to visit again real soon but his time for a longer period.

Those flying fish sandwhiches are good aren't they?;) They are also my personal favourite and flying fish are usually the fish of choice for us locals.

Thanks again for your advice and kind words and we hope you come back again real soon.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Pandaman, the bus ride (very short from the pier) takes you within a few steps of the railroad cars (wheelchair can be brought on (folded) (in doorway space) if needed, but there is very limited walking). The steps (3) on are steep, but islanders are patient and try to help. The chairs are rattan (cushioned) and are at tables inside (air conditioned and windowed) - 2 on each side (one can get up in the narrow aisle and walk, but it is narrow). The bathroom (WC) in each car is tiny -- BUT THERE. There is an upstairs which is open, however, when it rains (as it did on our trip) there is sufficient room for all those upstairs to come down -- in other words, you could be sitting downstairs all by yourself and only when rain comes will people come and join you -- was fine with me. Drinks (free - alcohalic or soda) are served, along with a traditional (sugar) cookie. Staff is lovely and the choir sings traditional songs. Sights are genuine -- sugarcane, goats, backyards with people waving and ocean beauty. A very enjoyable air-conditioned 2 hour ride (not sure it's 2 hours - seemed shorter) . Then the buses pull up along the side of the train and again, only a few steps to your bus. The 12 miles back to the ship is approximately 45 minutes. The most walking is getting to the tour -- it seems for security reasons the transportation for all tours is much further away since 911. A very enjoyable tour as long as you don't expect too much.

• 1 month later...
It's always what the viewer percieves, from their perspective, and thus it's always difficult for a small destination to be that "thing" for everyone. A railroad tour that runs past a golf course and a new housing subdivision might be a beautiful view for one person, while for another person it might be less interesting.

I usually try to leave my American bias and sensibilities behind when I travel if at all possible. I think I see my surroundings more clearly.

St. Kitts is NOT a poor country. The people are not living under bridges in cardboard or corrugated metal shacks. The slums don't rise up the side of mountains at the edge of cities like they do outside of Lima, Peru. I was doing a railroad project in Panama prior to the start-up of the passenger service there, and the terrible barios in Colon were something I will never forget. It is all in what you yourself percieve as "poor".

In St. Kitts the people are not starving, or desperate. Their houses are getting new paint, or adding a second floor. They seem optomistic. They have prospects. As the train rolls through the villages you pass by the schools, and the children are smiling, and waving, all in uniform. Farmers are out in their fields working, planting, waving. We passed a postman walking between the villages, delivering the mail. Fruit grows on the trees.

Even though the sugar industry has closed, the sugar cane itself is not dying out. There are in fact plans underway to transition the cane fields, keeping some of the cane growing in place for critical soil erosion control, and some for possible use in niche sugar product development (sugar for niche "green" markets, and specialty rum). There are studies being done on using the cane for biomass and even ethinol. Sugar cane will still be a part of the viewshed on St. Kitts for years to come.

I personally didn't take exception to the Scenic Railway Tour ticket price. That, too, is relative, and you'll get different reactions to pricing from different people. There are people who think that Amtrak's US $149 coach ticket from Seattle to Chicago is too expensive. But I do think that if you have the opportunity to see an entire country from the back door perspective...in St. Kitts with mountains, volcanos, laughing children, goats, pigs, chickens, monkeys, tall bridges spanning deep canyons, abandoned overgrown British sugar estates, and crashing blue ocean surf with distant views of other islands like St. Barts, St. Maarten, Saba, and Statia...all of it with a ride on a facinating narrow gauge railway train...by all means, do it.

Do you have a phone number for the St Kitts Railway? It's not showing up as an available excursion on our Nov cruise and the website is down....Thanks!

Their phone number is 869-465-7263.

E-mail: scenicreservations@sisterisles.kn

www.stkittsscenicrailway.com

Thank you..I just saw in a newspaper article online that they closed for the season May 16th so that's probably why the site is down. I just called them and they said that Carnival is waiting for them to send the new times and they'll probably be doing that next week. I'll just keep watching Carnival's excursions to see when it reappears.

Archived