Charlottetown, PEI, things to see and do?

• 2 weeks later...

While I have never cruised to PEI, I have been there. We drove from Montreal. Incidentally, if you go by the Confederation bridge, notice that the bridge is not 100% straight. That was done on purpose, there is a slight S curve in the bridge to keep driver's aware.

The PEI government tourism site is at PEI Play. And I must say, these are some of the nicest people on earth. One warning though... you will not find a can of soft drink on the island. They have no place to recycle cans and therefore they are outlawed. This is Canada's smallest province and life is simpler. They are extraordinarily nice people. Incidentally, look down at the dirt in the province, it's red instead of black.

Cruises arrive at the historic Charlottetown waterfront. (That's links to the google maps location). They have a desk there with maps for cruise ships, you you can download it here. The map has information about the city as well as some attractions and tours. The city's official website is at http://www.visitcharlottetown.com/

If you are walking, besides Founder's House, you can go to the National Historic Site of Province House, where Canada's documents of confederation were signed. During the summer, they do have people doing reenactments. We saw Darcy McGee giving quite a speech, which was interesting, since he was the only Canadian politician every to be assassinated (Maybe he should have reconsidered speaking out... if he knew his end!)

Prince Edward Tours is the official "Gray Line" representative on the island. They have a number of tours if you want an organized tour.

There are just so many things to do. We went up to Souris to the beach and walked through the singing sand (it's high in silicone and makes a whooshing noise as you walk). We went to see the old railroad station and the light house. We say the Anne of Green Gables house and we went for a Lobster dinner. There is fishing, biking, driving tours, birding, seal watching, sea kayaking, horse-drawn carriages and much more.

If you truly want to feel Canadian for the day, stop for a coffee and donut at Tim Horton's (or Tim's as it's called here). Also good for a nice small sandwich if you are hungry. You really haven't been in Canada till you have seen someone order a "double-double".

I agree with the above post.... lots to see and do while in the city. But, if you have the opportunity, please try to see some of the countryside as well. PEI is so beautiful and peaceful. And you'll see lots of that red soil (which is in my veins). Some of my ancestors settled in PEI in 1792!

While I have never cruised to PEI, I have been there. We drove from Montreal. Incidentally, if you go by the Confederation bridge, notice that the bridge is not 100% straight. That was done on purpose, there is a slight S curve in the bridge to keep driver's aware.

The PEI government tourism site is at PEI Play. And I must say, these are some of the nicest people on earth. One warning though... you will not find a can of soft drink on the island. They have no place to recycle cans and therefore they are outlawed. This is Canada's smallest province and life is simpler. They are extraordinarily nice people. Incidentally, look down at the dirt in the province, it's red instead of black.

Cruises arrive at the historic Charlottetown waterfront. (That's links to the google maps location). They have a desk there with maps for cruise ships, you you can download it here. The map has information about the city as well as some attractions and tours. The city's official website is at http://www.visitcharlottetown.com/

If you are walking, besides Founder's House, you can go to the National Historic Site of Province House, where Canada's documents of confederation were signed. During the summer, they do have people doing reenactments. We saw Darcy McGee giving quite a speech, which was interesting, since he was the only Canadian politician every to be assassinated (Maybe he should have reconsidered speaking out... if he knew his end!)

Prince Edward Tours is the official "Gray Line" representative on the island. They have a number of tours if you want an organized tour.

There are just so many things to do. We went up to Souris to the beach and walked through the singing sand (it's high in silicone and makes a whooshing noise as you walk). We went to see the old railroad station and the light house. We say the Anne of Green Gables house and we went for a Lobster dinner. There is fishing, biking, driving tours, birding, seal watching, sea kayaking, horse-drawn carriages and much more.

If you truly want to feel Canadian for the day, stop for a coffee and donut at Tim Horton's (or Tim's as it's called here). Also good for a nice small sandwich if you are hungry. You really haven't been in Canada till you have seen someone order a "double-double".

Thank you so much for the information!!!!! I will follow-up on all of your leads and websites. We did this cruise in 2004, but they added this port and it looked very interesting. If you think of anything additional, please post.

C-Town also has the Culinary Institute of Canada, their version of the larger and better known Culinary Institute of America near where I live. It is a two or three block walk from the tourist area on the pier. They serve lunch and dinner at very reasonable prices. Their web address is http://www.hollandc.pe.ca/CIC/index.htm . You get a truly gourmet meal at a bargain price.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with previous posters: Charlottetown is best done on foot- Historic sites are within walking distance of the pier. We were there last May and enjoyed it very much. In Province house they will show you a documentary film on the history of Canada every hour or so. St Duncan basilica is also worth a look.

Depending how much time you have another option is to rent a car in Charlottetown and drive to Avonlea: the village of Anne of Green Gables. CHeck times and days ahead of time on the web. Its a 45 min drive.

Archived