Insulin aboard ship

Az_Redneck

O.k I checked with a good source and heres the deal, catridges are not to be refrigerated, vails should be until opened, after opened it is good for 28 days if protected from sunlight, refrigeration is not required but is recommended to protect stability of the insulin. Learn something new everyday here at cruise critic. I guess where I work we must follow what is recommended. Always best to check with pharmacy re: any drug.

I agree that it is best to check. We refrigerate all her insulin until she opens it. Now that she is on the insulin pump, we don't have to worry about the Lantus (although we do have a bottle and several tubes still in the frig...just in case).

We were on the Conquest last year. I thought that I had packed my sharps container, however it did not make it on the ship. I asked the room stewart and he had one for me with in an hour. How is that for service. The TA faxed a form to my doctor to fill out . No prooblems there. The Conquest has some inside cabins with refrierators. Because I had a medical reason, we were upgraded. to a cabin with a refrierator.

• 4 weeks later...

I take Levemir and my open vial is good outside of the fridge for 42 days.. :p I now have a couple extra unopened vials around in case I lose one or ???

Do you leave the sharps container in the room or take it with you when you leave the ship?

Also, would a copy of what you take from the pharmacy be sufficient? I don't know that my doc will give me all new scripts for everything I take. Maybe if there's a form he can sign, that might be the best thing..

To the OP......Go and enjoy your cruise. No need to worry about refrigeration of your insulin. Insulin vials are generally good after they are opened for one month at room temperature. Even if refrigerated, make sure the insulin you inject is NOT cold as this will change its absorption. Once opened, Lantus may be stored in a refrigerator or at room temperature, but must be discarded in 28 days. Here's a link regarding lantus storage:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/lantus_ids.htm

Byetta has been approved by the FDA for room storage after its first use up to 77 degrees. Check out this web site:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=63827

Archived