Driving on the island

vttea

Hello,

My wife and I will be renting a car from Budget at the pier. Our main destination is Orient Beach. We'd like to also visit Marigot for shopping, and possibly some sight-seeing in Grande Case. And then back to for some shopping in Philisburg before dropping off the rental. Between these destinations we'd like to do some freelance sightseeing, so to speak.

Question: How easy is it to get around the island? Are reports that there's only one main road that takes you on the island--and all you need to do is stay on it to see most everything you'd want to see--true?

I appreciate feedback from anyone who's familiar with getting around the island on your own. Thanks in advance!

-Steven

Hello,

My wife and I will be renting a car from Budget at the pier. Our main destination is Orient Beach. We'd like to also visit Marigot for shopping, and possibly some sight-seeing in Grande Case. And then back to for some shopping in Philisburg before dropping off the rental. Between these destinations we'd like to do some freelance sightseeing, so to speak.

Question: How easy is it to get around the island? Are reports that there's only one main road that takes you on the island--and all you need to do is stay on it to see most everything you'd want to see--true?

I appreciate feedback from anyone who's familiar with getting around the island on your own. Thanks in advance!

-Steven

The following is strictly my opinion:

It is pretty easy to get around the island because it is not big and there really is one main road (lots of "little" roads though). HOWEVER traffic can be quite heavy at 'rush' hour - morning about 8-10 and evening about 4-6 and it is pretty hectic around Phillipsburg when a lot of cruiseships are docked. If some hectic traffic does not bother you - driving around should be no problem.

Things to see:

1. Orient beach and other beaches

2. If you want an "exciting" and scenic drive, go to Anse Marcel - the views on the road over the hill are spectacular and the beach is lovely. This could be a "detour" on your way from Orient beach to Grand Case or Marigot.

3. Grand Case is not especially scenic but there is shopping and good food. I think Petit Plage is nice.

4. Marigot has some good shopping.

5. Philipsburg has very good shopping but on a "cruiseship" day driving a car in that area is murder.

Check out the following map:

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/sm/smmap.shtml

Hopefully others will chime in with their "favorites".

It is very easy to drive on St Martin and many people agree it's the best way to see the island. We rented a car from one of the 5 offices that are a block to the right when you get off the pier. We did not have reservations but if we do it again I will probably do so. The car was higher miles, but worked fine. We set out along the road that follows the coast near Dawn Beach. Stopped in Marigot. Went to Mano (airport) beach. Saw a 747 landing 50 feet above our head! It was one of the coolest, most unusual experiences I've ever had and my wife thought it was cool too! The drive from there back to Philipsburg can have some serious traffic jams so plan accordingly. We were able to circle the whole island and make several leisurely stops along the way and still had plenty of time before we needed to board.

In short, rent a car! You'll get a lot of freedom for not a lot of $$.

Thanks for input. I think we'll try to squeeze in a little bit of time (a landing or two) at the "airport beach." I read about some "peak times" for landings somewhere--anyone recall? We may skip Grand Case to make time for a drive out to Anse Marcel.

When I figured out a taxi ride to Orient Beach and back would cost us $35-45, renting a car for $52 was a no-brainer.

Thanks again!

-Steven

It is very easy to drive on St Martin and many people agree it's the best way to see the island. We rented a car from one of the 5 offices that are a block to the right when you get off the pier. We did not have reservations but if we do it again I will probably do so. The car was higher miles, but worked fine. We set out along the road that follows the coast near Dawn Beach. Stopped in Marigot. Went to Mano (airport) beach. Saw a 747 landing 50 feet above our head! It was one of the coolest, most unusual experiences I've ever had and my wife thought it was cool too! The drive from there back to Philipsburg can have some serious traffic jams so plan accordingly. We were able to circle the whole island and make several leisurely stops along the way and still had plenty of time before we needed to board.

In short, rent a car! You'll get a lot of freedom for not a lot of $$.

how long did it take you to go around the island, traffic pretty bad like how bad when there is 4 ships in that day. how was parking if you wanted to stop at a beach, also can you park your car close when you want to stop at a beach for a hour or so, does it cost money, thanks for information.

Thanks for input. I think we'll try to squeeze in a little bit of time (a landing or two) at the "airport beach." I read about some "peak times" for landings somewhere--anyone recall? We may skip Grand Case to make time for a drive out to Anse Marcel.

When I figured out a taxi ride to Orient Beach and back would cost us $35-45, renting a car for $52 was a no-brainer.

Thanks again!

-Steven

what about the airport beach, what time does that all happen. what is grand case and snase marcel if i may ask. thanks

how long did it take you to go around the island, traffic pretty bad like how bad when there is 4 ships in that day. how was parking if you wanted to stop at a beach, also can you park your car close when you want to stop at a beach for a hour or so, does it cost money, thanks for information.

basically it was rather easy than, if you saw something you just pulled over and did it and the car was ok sitting there,

hi: i am new at this , so i probably messed up with my first question. I read on one of the threads you have to get a drivers lincense on some of the islands. If anybody can help me with about what islands and prices, it would be helpful

what about the airport beach, what time does that all happen. what is grand case and snase marcel if i may ask. thanks

Re: airport beach - I THINK most of the big planes arrive in the afternoon

Re: Grand Case - it's a small town well known on the island for its restaurants

Re: Anse Marcel - a very scenic beach area

Can someone tell me what company is closest to pier ? I see several companies online , but I would need one close to where you get off ship.. this is for car rental. Thanks!

I rented from Budget, but I've read from others that there are 4 other agencies near the pier, Avis being the other that comes to mind. The others include one other major rental company and two local operations.

Be careful renting a car on this island. I looked into it, and all the car hire companies have a massive deductible amopunt, which applies even if you take out all the insurance they offer. They probably won't mention this to you unless you specifically ask the question.

Hertz is $900 Avis is $500 Arthurs is $2500 - I am a safe driver who has rented cars all over the world, but it only takes someone else to run into you and you have a massive bill. :confused:

My confirmation from Hertz says the deductilbe is $350.

You might want to check the documents you sign out there as well. The Hertz website says $900, their central reservations told me $900 and I even called St Maarten to check and they lady on the phone also said $900

We rented a car last year when we were there. We even looked at maps online that other cruise critic members had posted, and it wasn't easy for us to get around. Hertz gave us a map, but I don't remember it having road names on it. It wasn't easy to navigate, there are lots of little roads that make getting around confusing. Parking where you can shop is pretty difficult and the traffic in that area (shopping) was pretty bad. We went to see the planes, but most of the larger planes didn't land until later in the day. We saw some midsize planes and ate lunch at a little restaurant right near the airport. The food wasn't very good, but seeing the planes was worth it. We made several wrong turns and were worried about getting caught in traffic on the way back to the ship (the rental guys warned us about this), so we returned REALLY early. We saw some pretty houses along the water, but other than that it wasn't that spectacular. We didn't stop at any beaches, because we drove past them too fast and it's not very easy to turn around. The local people did help us find our way back when we turned down the wrong roads, so that was a plus. But I wouldn't recommend doing this to explore the island. Maybe other people had different experiences, but we're returning in May and are hoping for a water excursion. If you want to drive around the island, maybe you should take a guided tour that way it's narrated and maybe a little bit more meaningful. Good luck! :)

Be careful renting a car on this island. I looked into it, and all the car hire companies have a massive deductible amopunt, which applies even if you take out all the insurance they offer. They probably won't mention this to you unless you specifically ask the question.

Hertz is $900 Avis is $500 Arthurs is $2500 - I am a safe driver who has rented cars all over the world, but it only takes someone else to run into you and you have a massive bill. :confused:

Arthurs is $ 2,500 ???????

Wow, that is absurd. Wonder how all the people here who use him every trip feel about that. I am rethinking my preference for Hertz if the $900 number is correct. For $ 400 I can walk a block outside the pier to Avis.

Yes I have an email from Arthurs which I still have stored with that info.

Apparently some credit cards may cover you, but none of my 3 do, and I imagine it would be tricky trying to claim that back.

Personally I think all of those amounts are too high, so we are taking a taxi. It's the only place I have ever tried to rent a car with such high deductible amounts after you purchase cdw. :(

I rented from Budget, but I've read from others that there are 4 other agencies near the pier, Avis being the other that comes to mind. The others include one other major rental company and two local operations.

Avis is NOTat the pier. Hertz and Budget were as were 4 local car compaies. I had a reservation with Avis but blew it off to take the local rent a wreck.... I would stay away from Orient beach and go to Friars beach instead...much nicer...

Personally I think all of those amounts are too high, so we are taking a taxi. It's the only place I have ever tried to rent a car with such high deductible amounts after you purchase cdw. :(

The high deductibles were the main reason that we choose not to take a rental car. Later, we found out that gas is close to $5/gallon!

For the two of us, it was better to take Bernard's tour and get the tour of the island, see Maho, Marigot, and get dropped off at Orient Beach. ($30/pp)

Traffic was horrendous, I would not want to drive in it. I noticed on the island that many streets do not have street signs and driving is very confusing. As mentioned before, traffic downtown Phillipsburg is something you want to stay away from!