Formal or not for those going to Alaska on NCL

brunolvr

Alaskan cruises along with the cruises out of Texas usually have the least amount of passengers dressing up formally. I would say in the neighborhood of 20-25 percent. At other ports the percentage is higher, around 40 percent.

While you won't need to pack a heavy coat, you will need to pack a light coat or light rain/windbreaker and possibly a sweater for the cool rainy days. Layering is better than a heavy coat.

Just wondering how many of you cruising to Alaska are planning on bringing formal attire or do you have enough to pack with all the "layering" of clothing needed for the cool (or cold) and wet weather.:rolleyes:

On our cruise last Aug, many people did dress up (not full formal) on the one sea day. The cruise is so port focused and long days, most people dressed in resort casual for dinners.

Hi,

We are cruising Alaska on 2 September on the Sun. We thought long and hard about doing the formal nights, we are concerned with luggage weights. We have seen many replies on here about the formal nights on the Alaskan cruises, at this moment in time we have decided to go smart casual...........but that may change :confused:

Steve & Sharon

My husband will probably do his suit, and I'll do a cocktail dress or something, but we really look forward to dressing up like that for dinner on cruises. We usually dress nice every night anyhow (shirt/tie for him, dresses/dress pants/heels for me, e.g.), just because we enjoy it. :)

I am really interested, though, to see if there is a noticeable difference between our June Alaska cruise and the Hawaii/Caribbean ones we've taken.

I would guess that maybe about 1/2 of the people onboard the Star on our cruise to Alaska last year "dressed up" on Formal Night. Oh there were some formal-type gowns, but mostly you saw nice dresses and men in suits or sports jackets w/ties.

But the rest of the cruise was much more casual, sometimes because we were in port until late at night.

If there is an "absolute" about attire on Alaskan cruises, it is that "Freestyle" works beautifully.

On our cruise, as stated by others, we saw everything from full formal attire, right down to tank tops with slacks. Amazingly, it all worked.

We wore resort casual every evening, just because it is normal for us. Other's dressed up more, but many more were very casual

on formal night, as well as late on another "formal" night, we saw many, many people ..all dressed up nicely. only a couple of men in tux(s). mostly nice suits and after 5 dresses. the lines were long for the "formal" pictures.

we only took a nice shirt/blouse to go with the black slacks/pants we had packed. we felt very comfortable with what we wore.

Archived