Upsell Veterans -- $'s for OV to Balcony

IMCSICK

Deb -- That is awesome!!! Congratulations. :)

I think I mentioned before that we are in a "G", so maybe they are working their way down and we'll hear something soon. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though as I'm guessing the fact that we require a quad cabin will automatically exclude us from some of the upsell opportunities. Plus, it really looked like this cruise was close to being a sell-out.

Last August DH and I had already gotten an upgrade from a BC balcony to a BA on the Dawn out of NYC. Then 4 days before we sailed the TA called with an upsell to an Owner's Suite for $300 per person. What a treat, and we felt the extra was reasonable.

Friends who were also on the ship and using the same TA got the same deal.

My wife and I cruise out on 03/04/07 out of New Orleans. Original we booked a GTD Oceanview and we just got a offer for an upsell to an Oceanview Balcony (BA) for $75 each ($150 total). I thought this was an awesome deal and snap up the offer immediately!

My wife and I are really excited now for our first cruise ever!

sandradeen: Yes, they call passengers; they do not accept incoming calls requesting upsells. When and whom they call depends entirely on how well the cruise is selling, which cabins they think will not sell and which they think they will be able to re-sell, and what the revenue department wants to do.

Upsell is a very, very small department with one person handling upsells for each ship. They typically do them chronologically, but not always. Upsell calls have started as early as right after final payment date and as late as a week before the cruise date.

There is really no way to know who is going to get "the call," but if you do, be prepared to respond with a yes or no right away. They will just move right on to the next call, and by the time you decide that you are willing to pay the upsell price, it may be too late. What we do is decide in advance exactly how much we would be willing to pay, just in case.

beachchick

I have never gotten the call!

I thought maybe this time if I booked directly with NCL I would, but still haven't. Our cruise leaves on Sunday, so I guess it's not going to happen?

:confused:

I'm afraid (based on what others have reported and our limited experience) that it is doubtful you'd get the call at this point. It absolutely couldn't hurt to ask about upsells at check in. You never know. The ship may be completely sold out, but what if it's not? The worst that could happen is that they will say, "Sorry, but nothing is available." (I'll send good vibes your way; don't know if it will help, but I feel I should repay the favor others did us last December--we got a superb offer that we couldn't resist.):D

beachchick

Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting an upsell if you have booked through a TA in England? Also is there anyway of contacting NCL to tell them you are interested in it becomes available?

Not sure about chances if you are booked through a TA in Englad. I can tell you though that there really is no way to let them know you are interested if it is available. I mean you could let your TA know and she could put a note in the booking. However, the upsell agents don't read (and are not allowed to read) these comments in order to keep the process pretty much random.

sandradeen: Yes, they call passengers; they do not accept incoming calls requesting upsells. When and whom they call depends entirely on how well the cruise is selling, which cabins they think will not sell and which they think they will be able to re-sell, and what the revenue department wants to do.

Upsell is a very, very small department with one person handling upsells for each ship. They typically do them chronologically, but not always. Upsell calls have started as early as right after final payment date and as late as a week before the cruise date.

There is really no way to know who is going to get "the call," but if you do, be prepared to respond with a yes or no right away. They will just move right on to the next call, and by the time you decide that you are willing to pay the upsell price, it may be too late. What we do is decide in advance exactly how much we would be willing to pay, just in case.

beachchick

they do take upsell calls. I've done it twice now, and have the ladys number on my cell phone.

When we book a cruise we do our home work and check all the cruise sites for the best prices, then I call ncl directly using a PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant) and check what Ncl has Usually they will match the price if you are a lattiudes member plus I belong to a union so that gives me interline discounts.

We usually book a oceanview room and say it would be nice to get a upsell later and we get a call or the name of the person working the ship that we take. beachchick is right they have person working each ship and they rotate them from ship to ship.

I'm still hoping for a call. Our cabin is OV (but in our case -- that means 100% obstructed view!) and I really want to be able to enjoy the scenery.

Also, even though I've been told we actually lucked out by getting a handicap-access cabin due to the extra space, I'm still really concerned about having a teen and a tween using the roll-in shower. I'm afraid my whole vacation is going to be spent mopping up the floor!

In hindsight, I feel we probably could have gotten two inside cabins for the same amount of money and would have had more space and an extra bathroom. Oh well, need to stop obssessing about it and concentrate on the fact that we'll be spending a week in paradise!

they do take upsell calls. I've done it twice now, and have the ladys number on my cell phone.

When we book a cruise we do our home work and check all the cruise sites for the best prices, then I call ncl directly using a PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant) and check what Ncl has Usually they will match the price if you are a lattiudes member plus I belong to a union so that gives me interline discounts.

We usually book a oceanview room and say it would be nice to get a upsell later and we get a call or the name of the person working the ship that we take. beachchick is right they have person working each ship and they rotate them from ship to ship.

One of the reasons that they no longer accept incoming calls is that the tiny department was inundated with people calling every day asking and pleading for upsells, and starting with call months in advance. The PTB decided that it was not working and changed it to "don't call us, we might call you." Another reason was that seasoned NCL cruisers were booking lower categories then they might usually book and then starting in on those calls to the Upsell department. The Revenue department was less than pleased, so they may have had some input into the policy change as well.

beachchick

• 4 weeks later...

I have many questions about upsells.

I was on Expedia and saw that OV guarantees were $10 pp less than the inside category we have booked. Yesterday I got the upsell call offering an upgrade from inside to OV for $300 per cabin (we have 2 cabins). I said no thanks and she came down to $200 per cabin. Again I said no thanks and was offered $125 per person (isn't that 250 per cabin?). I said I was fine where we were. Her offered prices were about what they were when we booked and then we would have had any choice of cabin location.

My question is: Is there a way I can move to an OV since the internet shows the cheapest OV for less than my mid category inside? And why was the upsell so much higher?

We booked through NCL and have a wonderful personal cruise consultant. I hate to bother her, but would she be able to help us? We have never been inside and an OV would be nice.

I haven't even cruised yet and I get to help someone. Pretty exciting. :D

Becky, I had a similar situation, although I booked through an online TA rather than NCL. I found that the cost of my cruise went down significantly and the lowest category OV had been lowered to the same price as my inside GTY. Since my final payment date had passed, a refund wasn't an option. However, I speculated that NCL would be willing to sell me an upgrade for the difference between what I paid and the new cost of the room. So, I chose a room that was slightly more expensive than what I had paid and asked to 'buy' an upgrade. They had no problem whatsoever with me doing this.

Thus, my experience was that, as long as you have to pull out your credit card, you can take advantage of the reduced prices, even if you jump 11 categories for less than $100!!! In a sense, it is like doing your own personal upsell!!! :D

Best of luck to you!!!

I have many questions about upsells.

I was on Expedia and saw that OV guarantees were $10 pp less than the inside category we have booked. Yesterday I got the upsell call offering an upgrade from inside to OV for $300 per cabin (we have 2 cabins). I said no thanks and she came down to $200 per cabin. Again I said no thanks and was offered $125 per person (isn't that 250 per cabin?). I said I was fine where we were. Her offered prices were about what they were when we booked and then we would have had any choice of cabin location.

My question is: Is there a way I can move to an OV since the internet shows the cheapest OV for less than my mid category inside? And why was the upsell so much higher?

We booked through NCL and have a wonderful personal cruise consultant. I hate to bother her, but would she be able to help us? We have never been inside and an OV would be nice.

The rhyme and reason of upsells is a mystery known only to...well, I don't know who knows how it's done. What I suspect with the pricing is that the upsell being to a specific selected cabin is not going to be related in any way to the current fare of an OV GTY. You might be able to change to an OV GTY, but unlikely that NCL would refund you the difference because final payment is past. The concern with the GTY is that they won't guarantee that your cabins will be near each other or even the same category. It's basically a crap shoot. That's why the GTY is so much less expensive. But if you're okay with the conditions and are willing to take the lowest category of OV with cabins that may be nowhere near each other, then you've got nothing to lose by calling and requesting that they change you from your inside cabins to the OV GTY. You may need to ask for a reservations supervisor because they are often the ones who will negotiate with the revenue department for you.

beachchick

Okay now I am more confused than ever on upsells/upgrades.

I called my personal vacation planner at NCL. Posted prices for a superior oceanview are $40 p/p more than posted prices for my mid grade inside. I wanted to pay the difference and move up. I was quoted a total increase of $1600--we have 2 cabins. I thought she had the decimal wrong ($40 x 4). She said that no, they go on the currect price of the cabin I want versus the price I paid when I booked. It seems like comparing apples to oranges. When I booked, the rooms I now want would have been about $200 more per cabin. Now it is about $800 more.

What am I missing here? I thought an upsell was a good deal, but in our case it is ridiculous. Any suggestions????

Becky--- The upsell usually make sense, but in your case the original cabin was discounted because you bought it when the prices were low, you got a good deal.

The price goes up as fewer cabins are available. The price today is as you said is $800 more per cabin so that is what you will have to pay to upgrade. Your cabin is still worth only what you paid for it.

They may call back and offer an upsell at a reduced price. What you have told me is not an upsell but an upgrade. Do you see the difference.

Ugrade you make the request and upsell NCL has too many cabins in that class and they want to unload them at a discount.

I have been told by my TA that the ships are full and he has not had an offer for a disciunted upsell in 3 months.

Hope this helps.

Archived