Majesty record

GrannyMouse

Where would I look to check the Majesty's record of missed ports? We missed Grand Cayman on our 1/27/07 cruise due to a medical emergency. I understand missing ports for the Majesty is pretty standard operating procedure. I would love to take this cruise again but the missed ports concern me. I know the medical emergeny was unavoidable but it seems many other ports have been missed by this ship - even after the engine repair.

Cayman seems to be the most missed port, I have been scheduled to go there 5 times and only made it 3. From what I have read this is a very tight schedule for the majesty, from looking on the map near crossroads, she has to average 19 knots (her average rated speed is only 20 knots) so I think that when she hits seas that slow her down, that's when things go haywire.

I would suggest maybe not trying grand cayman in the winter, that seems to be when the seas are the least cooperative to tender into grand cayman.

hope this helps

MAC

Grand Caymen is a very small island without any cruise ship docks whatsoever. Whenever the seas are too rough for their small tenders, ships usually skip this port of call. How often? Probably more than 33 percent of the time.

And the weather does change significantly during the day, and so do the seas. Some have been offended that some ships are able to use the tenders early, but when their ship arrived the seas were too rough. Grand Caymen operates their tenders, not the cruise lines.

With so many cruise ships arriving at Grand Caymen, some will ask why haven't they built six or seven docks for cruise ships? Believe it or not, more tourists arrive by aircraft than by the cruise lines. Plus, being so small, they haven't seen the necessity to build the expensive docks for the cruise lines. It is up to them to provide zoning for the docks before any cruise line could build them. And cruise lines don't like to buy docks, they have enough problems building new ships.

Archived