Norovirus

Globeguy

I read this feature article on the Norovirus:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=358

We hear about the big outbreaks, but how common is the Norovirus? How serious a risk is it for cruisers?

I've read all the tips about hand-washing, not touching your eyes, not putting your hands in your mouth, etc. But I'm considering a trip with a three year old. And teaching a three year old not to put his hands in his mouth is about as easy as teaching a cat to drive.

I would also be travelling with a one year old, so my real concern is that the three year old gets it and passes it along to the one year old, who could get dehydrated and very sick from it.

Is anyone else avoiding a cruise because of the virus? Or taking extreme precautions once aboard?

Am I being silly to worry so much about this?

I read this feature article on the Norovirus:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=358

We hear about the big outbreaks, but how common is the Norovirus? How serious a risk is it for cruisers?

I've read all the tips about hand-washing, not touching your eyes, not putting your hands in your mouth, etc. But I'm considering a trip with a three year old. And teaching a three year old not to put his hands in his mouth is about as easy as teaching a cat to drive.

I would also be travelling with a one year old, so my real concern is that the three year old gets it and passes it along to the one year old, who could get dehydrated and very sick from it.

Is anyone else avoiding a cruise because of the virus? Or taking extreme precautions once aboard?

Am I being silly to worry so much about this?

Unfortunately we hear more about cruise line outbreaks because of the requirement that they alert the CDC. This is not the case with hotels and restaurants for instance, where you are just a likely to contract the virus.

In most cases the virus is either passed on by poor sanitation practices of those who prepare your food. However, I have seen the galleys on cruise ships, and as a certified chef, I can tell you that you can eat off the floor in those places when they are clean. I couldn't say that about any place I ever worked.

It is very possible for someone to have contracted the virus before coming onboard the ship, and then this is the second most likely way to get the virus. It is passed from person to person. Many people have very poor hygiene issues. Just look at the number of people that leave a restroom without washing their hands.

My wife and I always carry those pocket size antibacterial gels, as I am a stickler for sanitation. I would take that with you, and just make sure you frequently wash the 3 yr olds hands, and then just use the antibacterial anytime you are touching what has been touched by hundreds of others, like handrails, doorknobs, etc.

On the whole, the cruise lines get a bad rap. It is unlikely that you or your kids will get sick, so just take the proper precautions, and enjoy the ship.

Regards,

Chef

We just had NoroVirus go through our Preschool. Because of extreme measures in the classrooms (cleaning with bleach) and extreme handwashing, myself and 5 other teachers have yet to contract the virus. When I was looking to find information on the internet about it because one of the families had the diagnoses of the NoroVirus, of course what came up was alot of information about Cruiseships. I copied the information they had about preventing the virus and parents actually thanked me. You can protect yourself with handwashing and taking safety measures. Yes 3 yr olds like to put their hands in their mouths, but with anti-bacterial wipes so available it's so much easier now to keep their hands clean. I am going on a cruise this summer, even after seeing the effects of the NoroVirus. I am so much aware now of keeping my hands clean. I wouldn't avoid taking a cruise with your family. I have cruised 3 times before and never gotten ill. Just pack those wipes and hand sanitizing gel, and be aware of what your 3 yr old is touching but you'll be fine...

We're going on a cruise with a 1 and a 3 year old in October. Our plan is to be more careful with the kids than we are with our own hand washing. Dh is a physician and he feels comfortable with the risks, as long as we are super careful. If my kids touch the railing in the elevator, they'll get a squirt of Purell. The second I pick my 3yo up from Camp Carnival, he'll get a squirt of Purell. We always carry and use Purell, so it won't be unusual for my kids. I'd start talking to your kids now about germs and not touching stuff. Carry Purell in the car and get them used to it. That way it won't be a struggle (or not nearly the struggle it could be) once you board the ship. We'll wash our hands with warm soapy water for 20 seconds each time we go to our cabin. If I see a Purell dispenser on the ship, we'll use it. If I see one every 100 feet or so, I'll use my best judgment. If an adult gets the Norwalk Virus, it can be a nasty illness. If a child gets it, it can be very, very bad. So, just be very careful and go and have a good time. :)

I am concerned too. Not about children, but my husband. He has been sick for almost three years, and is finally getting his strength back. We have a cruise planned for 02/24, and I am really concerned that if he gets sick, he will have a hard time getting over it. Does it affect older people more, does anyone know?

I am concerned too. Not about children, but my husband. He has been sick for almost three years, and is finally getting his strength back. We have a cruise planned for 02/24, and I am really concerned that if he gets sick, he will have a hard time getting over it. Does it affect older people more, does anyone know?

I'm sure like with any illness, the older, younger & those with less than optimal immune systems would contract the virus more easily than the those with hearty immune systems. The key is to be vigilant about what you touch & where you put your hands after that. Cover your mouth when you cough, don't drink after people... the things parents tell their kids all the time when they are growing up. oh & after shaking hands with someone it might be a good idea to find some purell :rolleyes:

The Norwalk virus (Noro for short) is the second most contagious virus know out there. The most contagious is the Flu virus. The CDC estimates that an average of 18-23 million Americans become ill with the Norwalk virus every year. So please, do not believe the media hype that this is a cruise borne illness.

I found a source. It's in an excerpt from Terry L. Dale, president and chief executive of the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA).

As a point of fact, norovirus is the most prevalent illness in the U.S., second only to the common cold. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate 23 million Americans suffer from norovirus every year. That translates to approximately one in 12 people. If you study the CDC statistics for incidents of norovirus on cruise ships, you’ll find approximately 1 in 3,600 people have experienced norovirus on a cruise. In other words, your readers are much LESS likely to get ill from norovirus on board a cruise ship than in their everyday life!

Why do you seem to hear about it on cruise ships if it’s so common? The hotel you stayed in last week, the airplane you flew cross country on, the daycare center where you leave your child, the assisted living facility that’s home to your parent – not even your doctor’s office – is required to report gastrointestinal illness to anyone. Cruise ships are the only entities required to report gastrointestinal illness in the U.S. health system.

The Novo virus goes through Nursing homes all the time. My friend is a nurse in one and they do lose people to it when it comes through.

ANYWHERE there are groups of people gathered together the risk increase.

I would think a grown man is LESS likely to get it then a child as I assume a grown man knows to wash his hands, use santizing wipes and gels, and not put his hands in his mouth.

we cannot all turn into germaphobes,, but it is like stomach flu

it just has a fancy name, its like flu season, everyone gets sick

dont you notice once the winter passes and spring is coming no one talks about the virus on ships anymore? because all the people getting on arent sick anymore,,

to take precautions

use hand sanitizers. wash hands a lot if no sanitizers are avail . on NCL they have them everywhere,

with kids its hard i know , but use the wipes and the sanitizers.

and when you get to your cabin . wipe it down with wipes. anti bacterial, we did that everyday ..

these germs can be everywhere , at the supermarket, on the atM MACHINE. everywhere , its not fair to say its a cruise virus, it s a people virus,

Along with the standard precautions, if I were concerned about Noro or any other flu-like virus, I would probably choose to travel during an "off" season for flu. I'm sure your pediatrician would be a great resource for when you're least likely to encounter a bug. We're in the worst part of the viral season right now, but summer, fall, maybe even spring might be better. I don't know the stats, but it might be worth avoiding the typical flu season.

Along with the standard precautions, if I were concerned about Noro or any other flu-like virus, I would probably choose to travel during an "off" season for flu. I'm sure your pediatrician would be a great resource for when you're least likely to encounter a bug. We're in the worst part of the viral season right now, but summer, fall, maybe even spring might be better. I don't know the stats, but it might be worth avoiding the typical flu season.

Archived