Portoferraio(Elba), Italy

We will be on the island of Elba on our cruise in November. Were there any "must see" places or sights there? It seems that most of the sights are connected with Napolean. I would like to see more than his bed.

Thanks for any info rmation that you can share.

Fran

Must-Sees? Nothing like Rome or Florence but certainly something old enough and for a nice day.

The history of Elba started long before Napoleon; Etruscans, Greeks, Romans - all were there.

From the Roman times you can visit a luxury villa at Le Grotte opposite of Portoferraio.

From the middleage left are the ruins of castle Volterraio. Built in 1020 it was the biggest castle on Elba.

For a long time the Medici ruled Elba. They built eg. the still existing fortresses and walls of Portoferraio.

Reminiscents of the time Napoleon lived on Elba are the Villa dei Mulini and the theatre in Portoferraio, his summer palace at San Martino and some more.

In the capital city there are also an art museum and the museum of archeology.

The Galeria Demidoff close to the summer palace houses the Galatea by Antonio Canova.

Further away Marciana is a marvelous little village in the hills with small steep winding alleys and a fortress. Close by the old pilgrims' church Madonna del Monte. Marciana Marina is the port town, also quite nice.

On a trip to Italy several years ago, we rented a convertible and drove around the island and just stopped where and when we wanted. It was a highlight of our trip because we just enjoyed the countryside and the people without doing any actual museum type activities. For us it was a welcome break from the typical rush to see all the "must-sees". We found Elba to be a beautiful island with many beaches that were perfect for a quick dip.

We don't usually do ship's shorexes, but made an exception in Portoferraio in May as it was our second visit within a year -> took the Mt Capanne tour and were very glad we did - really enjoyed the cable car (it's like a stand up birdcage that holds 2 - so quiet and peaceful as you ride up) and the views from the top of the mt. The tour also included a very scenic drive along the coast and then up into hill villages before we reached the cable car. We had an excellent guide who really projected her love for the beauty of Elba island.

Also, make sure you have a gelato at the little gelateria across from where the ship docks (recommended to us by several of the staff onboard) - it's much better and much cheaper than elsewhere eg. Florence, Portofino

Thanks for all of the sugestions. I have a few questions.

luvnorway, you said that the cable car is like a stand up birdcage. I take it to mean that there are no seats. Am I correct? How long is the ride?

dcnon, as this is near the end of a month long cruise, I can certainly understand wanting to go for a nice drive, Where there taxis available at the pier?

carlmm. thanks for all of the information regarding the places to visit. We will have a discussion regarding what we will choose to do. Majority rules

Thanks again,

Fran

Ride up the mountain is in a stand-up cage (not scary) - 2 people in each - you board it like a ski lift except that you stand in it instead of sitting - takes about 15min to the top IIRC - beautiful views all the way up and when you get to the top you feel like you're on top of the world - can see as far as mainland on a clear day

We took the ferry over and rented a car right where the ferry docked. Not sure if this will be the same pier or not but they had quite a selection of convertibles from which to select. I wish I had more info for you, but it was quite a few years ago - probably 7 or 8 years - and the memory fades with time:).

Thank you. I would really like to go on that funicular but I don't know if I will be able to stand that long after waiting on line. A lot depends on how I am feeling at that time.

I love to drive in North America and have done extensive driving on this side of the pond but never in other places in the world. Call me scared but honest.

Fran

Archived