Weather wise, when should we cruise Hawaii?

mbisson

My wife & I want to do a cruise in Hawaii (hopefully anytime in the next couple years). We're not really familiar with the islands so I'm just sort of wondering---When we get ready, are there any particular months we should avoid?

thanks

-Monte

Hi Monte, we just got back from two weeks including the Fanning Island cruise and the weather was wonderful, (last two weeks of Jan). It was typically 80 degrees or so with tradewinds as expected, occaisional short showers but not enough to stop us from golfing. The crowds almost non-existant and I'm told this is really the low-season! we are planning another winter trip back , Its a nice change from

Hi Monte, we just got back from two weeks including the Fanning Island cruise and the weather was wonderful, (last two weeks of Jan). It was typically 80 degrees or so with tradewinds as expected, occaisional short showers but not enough to stop us from golfing. The crowds almost non-existant and I'm told this is really the low-season! we are planning another winter trip back , Its a nice change from Washington / B.C. Weather this time of year!

Hey wtoms,

We're cruising the islands in April (14-21). We were thinking of golfing at Kauai. Any recommendations for a course? We will need to rent clubs as we are not going to lug our clubs all the way from the east coast for one day of golf. Want a nice course, expect costs to be high but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. :o

Any info helpful. :)

thx.

Hi Cruisechat, One of my favorite courses is on Kauai, its a must play!

PUAKEA GOLF COURSE, just look them up on the internet and you can book a tee time on line. Its the course where Jurassic Park was filmed and is minutes away from the tender dock. We rented a car on Kauai and played 9 then drove around the island for a sight-see. Very reasonable rates and good club rentals. Of course there is also Poipu Bay where the PGA skins game happens and is offered usually as an NCL excursion, but very pricey! let me know if you need more info, ill check back, Tom

On the travel channel yesterday they mentioned that Poipu Bay Golf Course lowers its prices significantly as the day goes on - from $185 to about $120 after noon and then down to $65 after 3:00 or 4:00. I hear that others do as well. Since Kauai is an overnight stop, maybe you could play later in the day when it's less expensive, if that's what you're looking for. Sunset is at about 6:30 pm right now.

My wife & I want to do a cruise in Hawaii (hopefully anytime in the next couple years). We're not really familiar with the islands so I'm just sort of wondering---When we get ready, are there any particular months we should avoid?

thanks

-Monte

Although Hawaii is beautiful at any time of the year, Hawaii does have a "rainy" season, I would say February through April. Saying that, there could be days when the weather is just perfect in between rainy days, but the chances of "worse" weather is definately during these months. On the other side of the coin, late July through September can be very very warm, upper 80's, and humid. But, there usually a nice trade wind to cool things off. In my opinion, the best times to visit Hawaii is late spring/early summer, and fall through January.

Monte, we have done both October and March. The weather was similar both times, but in March the whales were thick and it definitely highlighted our trip. Whale season usually runs from January to April plus or minus a few weeks.

Hawaii is a wonderful place to cruise to.

jc

Hey wtoms & Hawaii4me,

Thanks for feedback! Much appreciated.

I think we can easily plan to play after lunch which should help with the cost some. We're all golfers and hate to go there and not play - especially after having just watched it on TV a couple of weeks ago.

While I have your attention - that Road To HANA - are the roads really narrow? I live only about 5 hours away from the mountains but I rarely ever go because I can't bear the ride up the mountain - it puts me in a dead panic every time :eek: (so I mostly just avoid the mountains altogether).

It's not the height so much - I've parasailed numerous times - it's the curvy and narrow roads to close to the edge overlooking a cliff that scares the daylights out of me....:confused:

CruiseChat

Road to Hana: Very winding, mostly narrow, lots of one-lane bridges, but I don't consider it an impossible drive by any means. Some places are pretty close to the edge, but I don't recall anything that really frightened me. Still, it could be an issue for you.

beachchick

we've also considered doing one of the Hawaii runs from the mainland. That means crossing the Pacific, and we, too, have wondered about the weather. The Caribbean has its hurricane season, is there any season of storms that churn the Pacific?

And it's been said that rainy season in Hawaii is through April. Would this include the sailings from the mainland that RCI does in late April as they transition into Alaska? Or would it be better to do one of the trips they offer in October as they're repositioning out of AK?

Looking at RCI's schedules in the past, and considering its limitations on sailings from the mainland out to Hawaii, it seems that the fall trips are more expensive than spring. Should it then be assumed that the fall trips are the more desireable time frame?

Please talk more about the weather, so we can ponder '08 more before the schedules come out. Thanks.....

My husband and I cruised on the NCL- POH the first week of October 2006. Weather was wonderful, slight rain on just a couple occassions during the week. Beautiful sunrises and spectacular sunsets each evening from our balcony.

I am setting sail with my mom in May for Mother's Day and to celebrate my 50th on the NCL-PoAm. From her research, weather will be terrific and not too humid or hot. Being from Arizona, we'll already start enduring some high temps by May, so this will be a great time. She is soooo looking forward to going to Hawaii for her first time ! Although traveling with Mom will be a lot tamer that the adventures that I shared with my husband, it will be a great time.

I learned so much from the wonderful CC's on line on what to visit, what cars to rent, what books to take along. And the best advice that went a long way towards enjoyment of the cruise ---- do not sweat the little stuff while in paradise ! Do not let others bad experience ruin your expectations. Heed their advice, learn from it and overcome what you can. Enjoy the sights, embarce the memories, and return to Hawaii if your memories start to fade....

GoldieAZ

Archived