Art dealer on CB?

jbpinkie

DF and I will be sailing on the CB in May, and Family and I are traveling on The Carnival Victory in March. It has been 4 years since my last princess sailing, and I am curious to know who they are using for art? I remember last time it wasn't Park West, like Holland and Carnival. Most of the art was pre-framed... Is this still the case? I am trying to decide wether to buy from Park West or wait for my princess trip. Thanks in advance for any tips.

DF and I will be sailing on the CB in May, and Family and I are traveling on The Carnival Victory in March. It has been 4 years since my last princess sailing, and I am curious to know who they are using for art? I remember last time it wasn't Park West, like Holland and Carnival. Most of the art was pre-framed... Is this still the case? I am trying to decide wether to buy from Park West or wait for my princess trip. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I personally feel buying from Park West land auctions is your best bet. First, everything comes framed, and the selection is much better than Princess on ship. Prices seem better than even the Park West at sea auctions too. Also it seems that Princess has hired artist to copy the styles of Park West long time artists such as Tarkey, or Linda LeKinff. On our last cruise I even saw a Princess artist which closely resembled Fanch Ledon who is a very popular artist with Park West.

JMHO

Mark

I personally feel buying from Park West land auctions is your best bet. First, everything comes framed, and the selection is much better than Princess on ship. Prices seem better than even the Park West at sea auctions too. Also it seems that Princess has hired artist to copy the styles of Park West long time artists such as Tarkey, or Linda LeKinff. On our last cruise I even saw a Princess artist which closely resembled Fanch Ledon who is a very popular artist with Park West.

JMHO

Mark

Mark- Thanks for the advice. When I thought to what I bought on Princess vs. Park west, I realized that none of the artists were on both. I love LeKinff, and definitely will plan to buy more of her. There was one artist though, Scott Hile, who I bought on princess and can't find anywhere else. So I guess I will look for him on princess. I had no idea about park west land prices, I have been invited but the schedule never quite worked for me. Thanks for the advice.

I don't know if you have ever purchased art on Ebay but there are a number of works by Scott Hile there right now. Some are reproductions but there are some better quality pieces. Often, you even may read a reference from a cruiser who experienced "buyer's regret" or "overspent" looking to sell a purchase from Princess. Just a thought...

That is the name on the letterhead . We recently purchased some pieces aboard the CB. I think this company used to be called " Global Fine Art" which is owned by Carnival. Some of their return policies have changed in the last 2 years, though.

Is that what you wanted to know?

I have bought amazing art from both places. There is some crossover with the artists but not a lot. I had the best auctioneer I've ever met on Princess (his name was Billy and he was Canadian, but I so don't remember his last name). On Royal Caribbean with Park West, I bought a Sonia Del Signore and an Emile Bellet that I simply love as well as two by Schluss, and I can't get those on Princess. On Princess, I got a gorgeous piece by Hayslette and two Dorit Levi's that I can't get through Park West. Available on both are my Martiros and my two Zamy Steynovitz works.

The auctions are great, and are one of my favorite parts about cruising. I've bought way too much $$$$ worth of art, which is not such a good thing for a lowly school teacher like myself :p

As to the framing, a lot of it is framed and a lot is not, but I will not leave the ship without getting it framed, because I know that once I get it home, it will sit there forever in a closet without being frames, which is no way to treat art!

Enjoy!

Barbara

Archived