Bridge tours???

Hi all,

Question from soon-to-be first-time cruiser: My father, sister and I will be boarding the Sensation Aug. 12 (can't wait!). Dad, an auto mechanic and boating enthusiast, has expressed interest in seeing the ship's engine room and/or bridge. Is this possible? I've heard people talk about galley tours, but what about tours describing/showing how the ship moves, stops and steers? Can you actually go to see the ship's engine and control mechanisms?

P.S. This is such a "guy" thing! I have absolutely no interest in such a tour, but it would make my 64-year-old father's vacation to be able to do this! :)

Betsy

No more bridge tours, for obvious reasons, in a post-9/11 world.

I do not recall *ever* seeing an engine room tour offered. Safety and security reasons would seem to preclude it as an option.

On one of our cruises I sent an advance "thank you for a wonderful cruise" card to the captain and explained very nicely how much my husband would love a bridge tour and the next day we received an invitation. It's worth a try! I'm not sure if all cruise lines or captains do this. Good Luck :)

Guest Time2gocruzn

I heard the same thing, no bridge tours. BUT I heard they DO offer galley tours, which are very impressive, and give you a whole new appreciation for what they have to go thru to feed all the passengers. My father and Husband would love to see things like the bridge, and more mechanical, behind the scenes aspects of the ship, but are not counting on it.:cool:

The galley tour is typically offered lin the afternoon of the second formal dinner, also being the day of the Gala Midninght Buffet, so you get to see the staff working on all of the presentations for that evening.

I've heard of people who were engineers finding the Chief Engineer of the ship and starting a discussion on the engines getting invited for a tour. Might try that.

sls

It happens...not too often but it happens. If you ever see the chief engineer or staff chief engineer, start talking about something really technical until their jaw drops, then your chances just went up 1000 percent....I should know. I had the chief engineer on Paradise speechless.

Between you and me I have seen quite a lot of crew only areas.

Actually, there were about 15 people on our bridge tour. I don't know if they requested it or if it was part of some deal. I thing the one couple was married on the ship. When we got our invitation it asked that we not tell anyone and gave us a place to meet an officer.

I give credit to someone on this Board who posted last year about doing this. :)

Any other ideas on contacting Captain?

Becky

Becky,

In one of the public bathrooms take out your lipstick and write:

IF I DON'T GET TO SEE THE CAPTAIN WITHIN 24 HOURS WE ALL GO DOWN !

That ought to get his attention ! ! :D :D :D :D

• 6 months later...

We got a post-9/11 bridge tour on Celebrity, but it was because the captain's wife was a friend-of-a-friend. There were about ten people on the tour... so they had to get an invitation somehow. I would try the note-to-the-Captain route. Address it to him by name and give it to the purser's desk. You might also try writing a note to the social hostess.

The post 9/11 "security" obsession really irritates me sometimes. If you want to be perfectly safe, you better not leave your house. Don't ruin life for the rest o fus though! It's irritating that because of some people's paranoia we can no longer take bridge tours regularly.

The post 9/11 "security" obsession really irritates me sometimes. If you want to be perfectly safe, you better not leave your house. Don't ruin life for the rest o fus though! It's irritating that because of some people's paranoia we can no longer take bridge tours regularly.

Seems a small price to pay, IMHO

In one of the public bathrooms take out your lipstick and write:

IF I DON'T GET TO SEE THE CAPTAIN WITHIN 24 HOURS WE ALL GO DOWN !

That ought to get his attention ! ! :D :D :D :D

glrounds, hopefully that was meant as a joke, but something like that was done before and caused one heck of a problem in April 2003 on the Legend of the Seas..... Created one huge scene involving everyone onboard.

Making threats, even jokingly, are not considered jokes and are not funny. I am a prankster and practical joker, but there are lines that sometimes should not be crossed.

Now, having said that, lets get back to having fun!!!

Archived