A Good Story about Bank of America NCL Credit Card

coka

For the last few months I have been watching airfare prices to Sarajevo, Bosnia because I am going there this summer. I decided to start looking at European online agencies since I heard it is sometimes cheaper to buy a ticket over there. I found what appeared to be a United Kingdom based site and found a fare for 1050 Euro, about 1400 American.

It seemed too good to be true. As I began to book the flight, the company wanted my credit card number first and then I had 24 hours to decide to purchase it. I decided not to do it because it did not seem right. A few days went by and the American prices kept going up. I went back to the U.K. site and against my better judgement filled out the reservation and clicked "purchase." I did it even though my intuition was telling me not do it. I tried three times but in the end of each attempt, the purchase would not go through. Frightened at the thought that this was a scam site and my credit card number was just given to them, I called Bank of America.

Bank of America told me that a few attempts were made to purchase something for 2,047 American dollars. I said, yes that was me trying to buy an airline ticket but not for 2,047 dollars. Bank of America said that they would not allow the purchase to go through because they have a watch on these sort of things. I asked what was odd about the European purchase. They said the purchase was coming through from South Africa. The purchase attempt was red-flagged and therefore not allowed.

I was happy to know that when I lapsed in judgement, Bank of America was there for me. I thanked BOA very much for protecting me and my money. To be on the safe side, I canceled my card and requested a new one. My NCL credit points were rolled over into the new account and my new card arrived 7 days later.

Coka

On a side note, I think I was looking at 1050 pounds (L)and not euro (E)because one pound is almost two dollars. So, even if it was a legitimite site, that was 700 more than what I willing to pay! So again, A BIG THANK YOU TO BANK OF AMERICA!

Although it probably wouldn't have made a difference in this instance, I do recommend that you use the "ShopSafe" feature of your NCL card for any purchase from online websites. I use it for everything I buy online except through paypal or for my monthly utility bills.

At most I'd lose the amount I authorized for the specific transaction because that's the maximum that can be charged against the ShopSafe-created credit card number good only for the specified amount. The vendor does not ever see my real credit card number.

It was much easier to use ShopSafe back when NCL cards were MBNA cards, but the BofA ShopSafe is certainly better than nothing!

They took care of us too... although it might have still been MBNA then

Last summer we were on the Jewel Med., when we got back we had several voicemails asking for us to return a call. When I did, they informed me that they had denied several attempts of an internet purchase. Someone got a hold of our number and was trying to buy a Dell Computer. The purchase was denied because they knew we were traveling during the attempted time. The account was closed and a new one issued promptly.

Archived