How does the "single supplement" work?

MamaParrotHead

I have a friend who desperately wants to go with a group of us on our trip, her boyfriend is being a stick in the mud. She said she would consider going without him, how is a single supplement figured? Thanks.

For a 1A its 150% of the cruise fare plus (1) one port charge. For the 4A and above its 200% of the cruise fare plus (1) port charge.

Spoilt

Cruise lines charge a "single supplement" to passengers traveling solo. Typically the cruise line starts with the per-person rate based on double occupancy and adds 50-100% to the price for a single. That means that a cabin that sells for $1,000 per person based on double occupancy would be sold to a single for $1,500 to $2,000.

From the cruise line's perspective, what they are selling is space on the ship. If there are two or more people in a cabin, they split the cost of that space. People traveling alone pay for all the space by themselves.

MamaParrotHead,

I just booked an 8 day cruise for an inside guarantee (I'd do a balcony if it weren't for the single supplement). The going rate per person based on double occupancy is $549 + $42.xx taxes for a total of $591.xx. My rate based on single occupancy is $939 + $42.xx for taxes for a total of $981.xx. Hope this helps.

What's your friend's hubby's problem? Has he heard bad stuff about Carnival (referring to a previous thread of mine)? Afraid to cruise? What's the deal?

You may get a better deal if you have a PVP and call them directly, especailly on Wednesdays, when they do their specials. I got a great deal for single occupancy.

Or another option, your friend can cruise me, and we can switch to a nicer cabin and get dbl occupancy rates! ;)

I have a friend who desperately wants to go with a group of us on our trip, her boyfriend is being a stick in the mud. She said she would consider going without him, how is a single supplement figured? Thanks.

I went as a single last year on the Imagination. Originally it was going to cost me about 750, but I kept watching Expedia and Travelocity after I booked, and ended up paying less then 500! I booked a 1A, which was perfect for me (will book it again if I decide to cruise alone again). Tell her to book and keep an eye on the prices and to call her PVP (which I recommend because of the possible reductions) if she sees it go down. I had a 200 credit when I got there. It was great!!

Chigirl- they're not married, he's her BF. They've only been dating a year, so she's not privy to the financial details, but seems to think (from what he's said) that it's because he's a FREAK about planning. It's spontaneous (even though we invited them in June, but they didn't really start considering it until we "re" invited them last weekend) and that's what's freaking him out. He s aid he'd go if he'd had more time to plan (even though he has the money, or could take it from his tax returns or use a CC). Neither of us (she nor I) understands, as he works 2 jobs, has a small house=small mortgage (plus has a roommate). He's just one of those people that has a list a MILE long list of how he has PLANNED to spend his money (things like unnecessary room remodels, paying ahead on things, etc.). She doesn't own a home, has a nice job, has the cash. She has even offered to help pay his way, he's just being stubborn. I keep telling them (and she agrees) that this is the time to do spontaneous things...before life (marriage, children, jobs) get top billing and everything else is put on hold for a block of time. She's never even flown on an airplane, so travelling is a dream of hers, she just hasn't had the opportunity yet. Even if she convinces him, he had a job interview last week and doesn't know if he can get the time (even unpaid) off, will hopefully know this week.

As for the other details, since she's never cruised and may be cruising solo, I know she won't be comfortable on another deck than us. And we're on Main Deck/6B. Just called my PVP to get a single sup quote.

Thanks again!

Chigirl- they're not married, he's her BF. They've only been dating a year, so she's not privy to the financial details, but seems to think (from what he's said) that it's because he's a FREAK about planning. It's spontaneous (even though we invited them in June, but they didn't really start considering it until we "re" invited them last weekend) and that's what's freaking him out. He s aid he'd go if he'd had more time to plan (even though he has the money, or could take it from his tax returns or use a CC). Neither of us (she nor I) understands, as he works 2 jobs, has a small house=small mortgage (plus has a roommate). He's just one of those people that has a list a MILE long list of how he has PLANNED to spend his money (things like unnecessary room remodels, paying ahead on things, etc.). She doesn't own a home, has a nice job, has the cash. She has even offered to help pay his way, he's just being stubborn. I keep telling them (and she agrees) that this is the time to do spontaneous things...before life (marriage, children, jobs) get top billing and everything else is put on hold for a block of time. She's never even flown on an airplane, so travelling is a dream of hers, she just hasn't had the opportunity yet. Even if she convinces him, he had a job interview last week and doesn't know if he can get the time (even unpaid) off, will hopefully know this week.

As for the other details, since she's never cruised and may be cruising solo, I know she won't be comfortable on another deck than us. And we're on Main Deck/6B. Just called my PVP to get a single sup quote.

Thanks again!

ok... i'm gonna sick dr. phil on y'all. so she's landed a classic type "a" for a bf. betcha he's an aries or taurus. what ever happened to the art of seduction? c'mon! we're not talking black nighty and heels here....well.. maybe....

the poor guy can't help it. he's used to leading a very ordered life, and you two wanna drag him kickin, scratchin' and screamin' on a big adventure where he has NO control. no wonder he's fightin' it.

y'all need to just back off a bit. gf needs to get a yellow pad and pen, and break it down for him. the hour by hour and dollar by dollar thing... time to airport, time to boat, breakfast, lunch, dinner, time to shop, time to... then... leave it on the kitchen counter by the coffee pot...put some brochures with it...

gf needs to get on here...show bf some web stuff.... coax bf along...don't drag him...make it his idea...he's been workin' hard on the house and he's earned some time off.

it still works on me (aries, type "a")..... 38 years later. don't you dare tell her!!!

shoot lots, edit later, share always.

That was my first piece of information to them.

A 24 page word document, itemizing costs, detailing excursions we had booked (with the understanding they could join us on any or none of them). Links to websites of all of the excursions and to my webshots album from our last cruise, ship plans, pictures of the cabins, ports, rough outlines for each port day, copies of capers and menus, etc. I am an OBSESSIVE planner myself (and to balance it, more than my healthy share of "sometimes you have to smell the roses, no matter what the florist is charging" kind of mentality) and have made all the arrangements for the other 8 of us. Have the flights handled, transportation to hotel and to port, hotel accomodations, booked all of our independent excursions, post cruise plans handled and booked.

He's just acting like he's 80 and putting his dang drywall plans ahead of his girlfriend.

I could never date a guy that didn't like to cruise, or wasn't a least willing to try:p I misread your original post in that it's a BF, not a DH. Not to get too personal here, but you state they've only been dating a year, and she's not privy to his financial info. Are these people in the same age range as you (and me)? I think by the time you reach a year at our age, it's a darn serious relationship that's headed down a more permanent direction. Of course she doesn't have to know his 401K balance, how much he owes on his mortgage, but she should have a decent idea of how much debt he has, a general idea of his salary, etc. And, I would think his attitude about this simple cruise that you've already laid out the details for would be an indicator about how life with him would be. If she's fine with that, then great. But if not, then this could be a blessing in disguise.

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds. It's just my opinion, and I don't know your friend, and this is only a small bit of info that I have on him, so it's easy for me to be all Dr Phil. And, I'm 30 and still single. I went on a bar crawl yesterday with some friends in the 26-28 range, and halfway through, I said, I can't believe I'm 30 and drunk on a Valentine's Day bar crawl.:rolleyes:

She's actually a bit younger than me/us. She's like 25 or 26. I had "the talk" with her about not giving up her identity, how he should be fine with letting her go even though he doesn't want to, etc. etc. She actually hasn't mentioned to him she wants to go bad enough that she'd either take a friend or go alone, I told her that may just do the trick right there, we will SEE about that.

And although she doesn't know details, she does know that he HATES debt of any kind (and doesn't HAVE any) and I'm sure she knows how much he makes. It's just the bank balances and mortgage payments, etc. that she's fuzzy about, I think. And she's completely stumped as to why he's dragging his feet SO HARD on this.

That was my first piece of information to them.

A 24 page word document, itemizing costs, detailing excursions we had booked (with the understanding they could join us on any or none of them). Links to websites of all of the excursions and to my webshots album from our last cruise, ship plans, pictures of the cabins, ports, rough outlines for each port day, copies of capers and menus, etc. I am an OBSESSIVE planner myself (and to balance it, more than my healthy share of "sometimes you have to smell the roses, no matter what the florist is charging" kind of mentality) and have made all the arrangements for the other 8 of us. Have the flights handled, transportation to hotel and to port, hotel accommodations, booked all of our independent excursions, post cruise plans handled and booked.

He's just acting like he's 80 and putting his dang drywall plans ahead of his girlfriend.

Tell your friend to find another friend, sister, sister-in-law, cousin or whatever traveling companion and just go without him. If you have to coerce someone into doing something they really don't want to do she would probably not enjoy herself anyway.

Sounds like you guys have covered all the bases and he's not budging. Since he is so concerned with other matters and not living his life for some fun with her.......leave him behind! Maybe that would be his wakeup call.

This is just my humble opinion. Life is way to short to not enjoy it!

She's debating between the "Surprise! Happy Valentine's Day! Here's $X towards OUR cruise, I have it all booked and it's not refundable!" and trying the tactic about letting him know that just because HE'S not going, doesn't mean that SHE'S not.

Patiently waiting to hear back what/if any progress she's made today and help her refute some of his protests/excuses. I also agree that she's risking having a miserable time because he might complain the entire week. But I don't think he'd be the type to agree to something he doesn't want to do.

I'm older than your friend - much older.:D BUT, just thought I'd throw in a few words.

I usually cruise solo, by preference. I've also cruised with friends and relatives. I like my alone time, and I LOVE having my own cabin. I normally book a porthole cabin, which are usually 5A cabins (200%), but my PVP always manages to find me a 1A rate of 150%.

I don't LIKE paying the single supplement, but that's the way it is. I have a great PVP, and have used her for several cruises. I have rarely cruised without some little perks, and more likely than not, I have an onboard credit....which makes me happy-happy.

Before anyone asks, if you haven't read Cruise Critic rules - We are not allowed to give the name, numbers, etc. of any booking agents, not even our PVPs. Nor can we ask for emails about them. Would love to share my PVP, but.....:rolleyes:

Anyhoo, there are deals out there for us solo cruisers. You just have to check around and often.

I hope your friend will go on the cruise, BF or not.:)

He almost sounds like my dad - of course a lot younger. My dad never did anything fun while we were kids. The only time we went anywhere in our car (my dad was a truck driver so everywhere we went was in the truck) was when one of my older sisters got married in PA. A year ago, my dad had a massive stroke, he was 65. He has been through hell and back, and you would never know by looking at him he had the stroke he did. For the first time in his life he is going on a real vacation - 8 days on the Liberty to Costa Maya, Costa Rica and Panama, and while we are gone he will be celebrating his 67th birthday, a day none of us thought he would see. We are doing it because these are the places he wants to see, while he is doing it so my children have memories of him, and so I will have something other then him working to remember. I hope your friends BF decides to go, there is a lot more to life then being debt free and having the perfect house.

Archived