Cave Tubbing - The Caves Themselves

melgray13

Strange question. My sister and I are going to Belieze in Sept. I am trying to talk her into cavetubbing. I showed her some pictures and website stuff. She thinks it looks to "horror picture-ish". What is it like in the caves? Is it a little scary? We've done river tubbing and are good with that concept but she's worried about the cave part.

Any advice is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I didn't think they were scary at all, just fun to go through. You really aren't in them all that long at one stretch, there are other groups going through, you have headlamps, etc. You can also usually see the light at the ends while in the caves.

Hi, I am a very clostrophobic person and was very scared to go inside a cave. My husband wanted to go, so I bit the bullet and went. I kept telling myself it would be like a disney ride. I even broke out in a sweat on the trail thinking about it. But, we were told to get wet in the river at the first crossing and from there I calmed down. By the time I got to the cave, I had talked myself down. I decided to keep my eyes closed. All this ended up being so un-necessary. We got into the water, (we were with cavetubing.com) very easy, were put into groups and told to put our feet under the person in front of us arm pit. This hooked us together like a train. As soon as we went into the cave I shut my eyes, but couldn't keep them shut for a second. I open them and how beautiful. The caves are huge, you can put a couple of buses stacked on top of each other in places. No place in the caves are tight. Very open. They can be dark, but so many people with head lights, yours included, that its not really that dark. You can see other people. You will be quite supprised. Many children and elderly people will be there. Crush your fears. Its not scary. Take it from someone that is so clostrophobic that I freek in an elavator. If you have any questions, e-mail me. sandrafaymarks@aol.com. Enjoy your cruise and enjoy cave tubing. The best in Belize. I will be doing it again.

Hi, I am a very clostrophobic person and was very scared to go inside a cave. My husband wanted to go, so I bit the bullet and went. I kept telling myself it would be like a disney ride. I even broke out in a sweat on the trail thinking about it. But, we were told to get wet in the river at the first crossing and from there I calmed down. By the time I got to the cave, I had talked myself down. I decided to keep my eyes closed. All this ended up being so un-necessary. We got into the water, (we were with cavetubing.com) very easy, were put into groups and told to put our feet under the person in front of us arm pit. This hooked us together like a train. As soon as we went into the cave I shut my eyes, but couldn't keep them shut for a second. I open them and how beautiful. The caves are huge, you can put a couple of buses stacked on top of each other in places. No place in the caves are tight. Very open. They can be dark, but so many people with head lights, yours included, that its not really that dark. You can see other people. You will be quite supprised. Many children and elderly people will be there. Crush your fears. Its not scary. Take it from someone that is so clostrophobic that I freek in an elavator. If you have any questions, e-mail me. sandrafaymarks@aol.com. Enjoy your cruise and enjoy cave tubing. The best in Belize. I will be doing it again.

That is awsome that you did that for your husband. And what a great reward you got not only did you overcome your fears but you got a great reward and an awesome experience you will always remember. We did cavetubing.com also a couple of months ago. Each line has a leader who totally controlls where the group is going, no need to even try to paddle, its taken care of. No fear needed!

You can do this excursion without knowing how to swim. They have life jackets that you can use if you want.

As to the walk, I thought it was pretty easy and that carrying the tubes wasn't hard, but others on this board have said they thought it was fairly difficult, so I think it depends on your fitness level. The path is well-beaten dirt, has some rocks, and, depending upon the weather, can be a little slick. There was one place where you have to clamber down a fairly steep path with slick rocks (it had rained the day before) and a couple of milder slopes. If someone has mobility issues, such as bad knees, I can see that the walk might be harder.

BTW, I'm 61, but used to lots of walking and other aerobic exercise and have no issues with knees, hips, etc. All I can tell you is that for me it was easy and I enjoyed the walk through the jungle.

Hi, my husband was recovering from a broke leg. Steel Rod from knee to ankle. He made it just fine. He stayed at the front of the pack, just in case he had to drop back a bit. But it was a nice, easy walk. And they help you if you need it. The spot where you get into the river is tricky, BUT, they have a rope to hang onto and they are also in the water to help you down. So its really no problem. You will have a great time. Also booked through Cave-tubing.com. These people are wonderful. Happy Sailing.:D

The caves are not scarey at all. You can pretty much always see the light at the other end, There's light from the helmets and everyone is moving together so it's fascinating, but not frightening. As for the hike, it's what I'd consider moderate exercise. Someone who can walk for 30-40 minutes in uneven terrain can do it. I'd say if you can't walk comfortably from one end of a major mall to the other, then don't do it. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

Archived