Which Stingray City/ Snorkle trip is best?

lelalenore

Who would you choose for your Stingray City/Snorkle trip?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose for your Stingray City/Snorkle trip?

• Capt Marvin
    • Capt Bryan
    • Ebanks Watersports
    • Cruise ship offering
    • Other 'outside' company

We are looking at several 'outside' options for the StingRay City and two reef snorkle (3 stop) trip on Grand Cayman. Have looked at and heard a lot of good things about Capt Bryan, Capt Marvin, and Ebanks Watersports.

Looks like all leave at about the same time, arrive back at the same time, offer the same inclusions, and cost about the same...

So.. who would you choose?

• 3 weeks later...

We highly recommend Ebanks Watersports at www.ebankswatersports.com/ We have gone with them twice before and are returning in April and plan on going on a couple of their excursions again. They offer some unique things like a waverunner tour where you snorkel at a few different locations, as well as taking a speedboat or a bigger boat to stingray city. Good luck.

We would highly recommend the Buccaneer Catamaran Stingray Expedition through Captain Bryan's. We have done this twice with them. It is a great catamaran, where you can spread out a bit and enjoy the sailing when you are done snorkeling, there is no crowding and we've always buy some of the professional pictures they take. I am sorry that they no longer have a videographer on board, but I still feel that they are easy to find, great price, great to work with etc.

I have been trying to make this decision for a couple of weeks and we leave in two weeks!!! We did this excursion years ago, but booked with RCCL. I am a little nervous to use an outside company because of time constraints, etc. However, I am very frugal and know an outside company would probably give me a lot more for my money. We want to go again because my daughter's college roommate will be with us and she has never done anything like this. If I don't make advance reservations, are there tour companies at the pier that offer this tour last minute? If so, would that be a big mistake? We love seven mile beach and if it were just my family, that's what we would do. The Nativeway RRR sounds perfect, stingrays, reef, and beach, but... did I mention I am frugal? HELP!!!!!!

Star Doggy,

After a lot of research and posting a thread, we are going with Capt Bryan on his catamaran. They pick you up at the port, and will drop you back off there, or at Royal Palm, on 7 mile beach, and pickup you back up and take you back to the port. You need to be at the dock at 8:45, and they are finished at noon, so lots of extra time to get back to the dock. We are having them drop us off at Royal Palm, it's only 5 minutes from the port, and have them pick up back up about 3-3:30 (we don't like to cut it short). And......drum roll......it's only $35 per person. And, if something happens and the ship doesn't make it there, they don't charge you.

We were thinking about using Nativeways, but I have read a couple posts, lately where they have been late, could just be a complainer, but....

Have fun, we leave in just 2 weeks!!!!!!

I too have been doing a lot of research, and we are definitely going through a private group rather than the ship. It will be cheaper and with a smaller group. I'll be there in September.

The last cruise I went on I booked exclusively through the ship, and while the tour guides were great, I felt like one among hundreds. Then we got back on the ship and talked with folks who did things on their own. I realized then I would probably not book an excursion through the ship again. This is my long winded-way of saying I'm going independent. We're looking at Captain Marvin or Mobey Dick. I'm going to check out Captain Bryan's though--that sounds nice.

Breanne$5,

We will be on the Rhapsody in two weeks. I believe we port in Cozumel and Grand Cayman together. There will be four ships in each port. We just might be on a tour together. :) How did you find out they would drop you off at the beach and come back for you at no extra cost? That is amazing and makes $35 a really good deal as it is about $4 per person to take a cab from Royal Palm back to the pier. I may just be booking Capt. Bryan.

Thanks for the information!

K

We used Nativeway and did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point. The price included lunch which was great since Grand Cayman prices are so high. I would recommend Nativeway as we had such a great time. Rum Point is a beach not to be missed. It has been the most beautiful beach we have went to so far.

We were in Grand Caymen last Sept and there were several different complanies at the tender point offering tours all over. We did use Moby Dick and had a great time. We actually went snorkling first because there were to many boat on the sand bar when we arrived, by the time we got to the sand bar there was only one other boat there. Mark and his partner got in the water and interacted with the Stingrays with us. They showed us how to hand the rays and actually made everyone feel very comfortable with them. It was an awesome experience and we are planning to take out kids on the next cruise and Moby Dick will be the way we go.

Sealpup--

Thanks for the info on picking up a tour once you get on the island. I have read about Moby Dick and knew they didn't require deposits, so I am glad to know that we could possibly use them without booking ahead. That may be the way to go for us.

K

Thanks for all the great replies guys! It was a hard decision, but we have booked with Capt. Marvin's for our Oct trip. We'll let ya know how it goes.. in the meantime, keep the summaries, updates, and reviews coming!!!!

Hi we are interested in a waverunner experience, which one do you guys recommend, I see that Capt. Marvins doesn't have the waverunners, are there any that people recommend, also, my concern is about the dep. if the ship doesn't make port, is there a problem getting dep. back?? This is our first cruise and very new so sorry for all the questions! :)

My question is regarding Stingray city.......

Is there a difference between Stingray City and Stingray city sandbar? Meaning does one have deeper water then the other? Or, are they the exact same place/thing?

My sister thought that she had read something about the sandbar being 3 to 5 ft. of water, with less stingrays, where as Stingray City has deeper water and more rays......Is this a correct statment? :confused:

I am looking to book ASAP, and I can not find anything regarding 2 different areas for Stingray City excursions.

Thanks in advance, for any help you can provide.

Stardoggy,

Here's Captain Bryan's email address captainbryan@cayman.org I emailed them directly, and they got right back with me. They said when they get back to port they would drop us off at a beach and pick up us back up and take us back to the ship. I also posted a thread asking opions on Captain Bryan and Captain Marvin, both had excellent responses, the catamaran sounded like more fun.

Our deposit was only $28 for four of us.

Never know we may run into each other, and never know it. Have a great cruise!

Archived