Spur of the Moment Cruising!!

BillfromWV

We decided on Friday February 2 that we wanted to escape the cold forecast for West Virginia the following week. I called RCL and they advised that if I booked by noon Saturday I could be aboard the Freedom of the Seas on Sunday. So, by noon Friday all travel arrangements were made and by Saturday afternoon we were in Fort Lauderdale. We had wonderful weather and a great time was had by all. We learned when we got back that the temps in WV were negative 16 and the kids has been out of school for 3 and 1/2 days. I only wished we had done back to back and missed this week of cold. The trip worked out wonderfully with no problems even though it was last minute. I strongly suggest if you can do it, and want to do it, take a last minute cruise. It is great.

Bill

I did that last year, Bill, and can also say it's a great thing. I messed up though, in booking through Expedia I didn't realize they don't contract with the discount airlines, so I ended up paying way too much for the last minute airfare to FLL. Still, it's fun to do things on a whim, isn't it?

The benefits of last minute booking depend in large measure where you live relative to the departure point. Last minute air fares are often very expensive and would outweight the low cost of a last minute bargain offering for the cruise. For someone living in Florida who could drive to Miami or FLL it could be a great buy, but not if you happen to live in Omaha or Des Moines. And I was under the impression that, since 9/11, there are a minimum number of days that the cruise line has to prepare the manifests for the Coast Guard and/or Homeland Security to review

The benefits of last minute booking depend in large measure where you live relative to the departure point. Last minute air fares are often very expensive and would outweight the low cost of a last minute bargain offering for the cruise. For someone living in Florida who could drive to Miami or FLL it could be a great buy, but not if you happen to live in Omaha or Des Moines. And I was under the impression that, since 9/11, there are a minimum number of days that the cruise line has to prepare the manifests for the Coast Guard and/or Homeland Security to review

That is a good point. We live in Florida and can drive to all florida ports, however I do not enjoy the 5-6 hour drive to Ft lauderdale.

and you are correct about the manifest.. the ship is closed for bookings 3 days before sail dates.

Airline cost can be quite prohibited but we were set on going so what the H.ll. As far as the manifest goes and needing to book 72 hours or more out, that is not true. We booked with less than 48 hours before sailing and RCL was willing to accept a booking by noon on Saturday for a Sunday sailing. So if you can and you want to...escape the snow and enjoy.

Bill

We have done several spur of the moment cruises and they all have been wonderful! Our "quickest" one was in October of 2002 when we booked the Rhapsody on Friday about 6pm and it sailed Sunday at 5pm. I, too, thought you could not book within that timeframe any longer. Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the heads up Bill!

Archived