Inside Passage Alaska excursions

Itsacruisething

the websites for this port town give so much information, with links to what's available. i suggest checking them out and seeing what interests you. if you do a search on this board you will find that skagway is discussed alot...you can get everyone's opinion on the train ride..round trip, train up..bus down, bus up ..train down OR renting a car. (warning, lots of opinions on this)

ketchikan has totems and tours to see them...or do-it-yourself. lumberjack show is right near the docks. the town, it self, is great for a photo op.

juneau has a tram to go up and see the sights from on-high. it starts right where most ships dock. for mendendhall glacier you can catch a shuttle and go on your own. last year is was $6 one way for the shuttle, a small fee if you go in the visitor's center. i do recommend doing some type of whale or wildlife boat trip. it's very special!

anyone doing this cruise should do their homework, there is just too much to do and what i did won't appeal to you (i did whale watching, that's what i went up there for)

ketchikan ... lumberjack show is right near the docks. the town, it self, is great for a photo op.

juneau ... for mendendhall glacier you can catch a shuttle and go on your own. last year is was $6 one way for the shuttle, a small fee if you go in the visitor's center. i do recommend doing some type of whale or wildlife boat trip. it's very special!

Saw the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan - nephew was even picked to throw an ax for our "Team" - Lots of fun and entertaining.

Mendenhall glacier --- a must see or do -- if you don't want to fly do what we did - we kayacked to the glacier - we were not able to get onto the glacier but it was a nice little workout with breathtaking scenary. My favorite picture from Alaska is the one with my sister, myself and my 2 nephews bundled up like orage pilsbury dough boys in front of our kayack -- Fun , fun, fun!!

Hi,

Can anyone give advice and recommendations for shore excursions in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan? We're not into the whale watching or flying.

Thanks, Dean

Take a peek at the shore excursion booklet (or website listing) for your cruise. If you want to book independant rather than via the cruise line, that's fine too. Just use the cruise company's list as a starting point. Pick a few ideas for each port that sound interesting, then start talking to the folks here who have been on those or similar tours. You'll get LOTS of opinions and advice if you ask about specific tours. Also, for every tour offered via the cruise line, there's always an independant way to book the same or very similar tour.

-Case

Hi,

Can anyone give advice and recommendations for shore excursions in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan? We're not into the whale watching or flying.

Thanks, Dean

It would really help if you could give us some idea of what you're interested in...there are SO many excursions, it's tough to narrow them down, and everyone enjoys different things. Do you want to be active? Do you have price limits? Do you want to do once-in-a-lifetime or Alaska-only things like glacier flightseeing or dog sledding? That would help clarify, and you'll likely get lots of responses if you can focus your question a bit. :)

My husband and I are doing a Mendenhall Glacier hiking tour in Juneau, kayaking in Ketchikan and the White Pass Railway & Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike in Skagway.

For us, we love being active, so we focused on the most active excursions available through our cruiseline and picked that way. We really wanted to get in a trip on the WPYR in Skagway, and I heard (on these boards!) that Ketchikan is one of the best placed to go kayaking. :)

Hope that helps a bit, but let us know what you're especially interested in! :D

Archived