Table sizes.

nundi

My husband and I are booked on the Oct 11th crossing on QM2. We are not sure what table size we would like to be on. We are youngish Australians, first time cruisers (usually go camping etc) and don't go out for fine dining much. More likely to get pizza and movies with friends, or go for Thai food etc. I guess we are abit worried that the other people might be too posh/snobby for us. Any comments??

Everyone gets on well with Ausies. Ask for a table for six or eight (easier to integrate on a larger table as opposed to a four) and if there are Brits on it they always like to talk cricket. And Americans have been the best of companions for us on numerous cruises. I once spent a full dinner explaining the rules of cricket to a charming American lady who had been watching a match on the tv (think about it) It is very doubtful that you will find anyone who will look down on you - just wear the regulation uniform and you'll be dinkum.

David. UK

Cricket argh!!!!! 5 days of play to finish in a draw. I find Rugby far more entertaining though my father begs to differ as since retirement has the time to follow the cricket. My eldest daughter on the other hand is a hockey fanatic. Not the Ice hockey our North American friends follow to to clarify.

Go and enjoy it. We're in our early 40's travelling with our teenage children and my young 80 year old parents. You will meets allsorts of people and among 2600 I'm sure you'll be fine

I agree -- go with a 6 or 8 table, and there will be interesting people there no doubt.

I shouldn't think you'll be looked down on at all. Everyone is an adventurer and a "sister/brother" in cruising on the QM2.

There are lots of things to talk about, and if you begin to feel too young and too un-posh then ask the others questions about themselves and you'll be surprised how much talking they do and how little you're expected to do.

And of course there are lots of dining alternatives on QM2, so you can give them a try as well, just the two of you. Takes the socializing pressure off.

The QM2 is a magnificent ship. Explore and enjoy!

“guess we are a bit worried that the other people might be too posh/snobby for us”

Right now there are other people booked on your crossing worrying that you will be too posh/snobby for them. What a relief when you first meet and discover that is not the case.

I am sure your table companions will love to hear about your life experiences, as most will probably have never been to Australia. I am sure they will talk about thing from their lives, which interest you. Crossings do attract a wide variety of interesting people and that adds to the experience.

Cunard marketing would like you to think that all their passengers are billionaires, aristocrats or celebrities. QM2 does have a few of those but they are the exception. Chances are you will meet like-minded people enjoying a fantastic travel experience.

I personally always go for the biggest table as it gives a better probability of meeting people you really like. It also helps to dilute any you don’t like as much. I have always enjoyed the company of my table companions and made long term friendships.

After dinner you might want go to the theatre, cinema, ballroom, bars or nightclub. For me it is great fun to go with a party (literally) from your table. It may be the early hours of the following morning before you say goodnight.

Have a great time.

Best wishes, Stephen.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CunardShipQM2/

Archived