family of 7 to Hawaii

petefamily7@yahoo.com

I have been reading all the post's but I feel I really need your help!

We are leaving for Ohau April 3 with our 5 children ages 17/15/12/10/8. I have so many questions I am not sure where to start. We are crusing out on April 7 on POAm.

I have not been happy with my travel agent at all. We have spent tons of money on this trip and I really don't feel she has been helpful at all.

I have maps and one question is I want to know where the ship will port on the islands of Ohau/Hilo/Maui (Kahului)/Kona/ Kauai.

I pretty much have ohau figured out for what we will be doing.

I am still trying to decide on the road to hana. Is this really worth it or should we rent a car and just go some where else?

Also, whale watching is this something my kids will already see on the ship or do we do a tour?

This is my childrens first trip and I want them to see the important things but I also want to relax on beaches.

We are also meeting up with my sister and hubby for the cruise they have 2 kids 17/14.

I do want to rent cars on some islands but if I can get buy with not doing it on some thats ok too!

Sorry so long!

Angie

You've answered part of your question yourself as far as where you port ...

Hilo and Kona are both ports on the big island of Hawaii. Kona is a tender port on the west side of the island, Hilo is a dock on the east side. Hilo is closest to Hawaii Volcanos National Park. Kahului is the port location in Maui. It's on the north central part of the island. Road to Hana is best done at your own pace in a rental car (or in your case van). Remember, it's about the trip, not the destination. Stop often at whatever you think might interest you. On Kauai you dock in Nawiliwili on the southeast part of the island. You board on Oahu in Honolulu.

Whale season I believe is just ending in April. I'm not a big fan of "whale watching" tours as whale sighting involves some random chance of actually spotting whales. There's always the chance you won't.

What I did was pick up the Revealed series of books (~$10 at overstock) for Kauai, Maui and the Big Island. The have alot of info and have proven invaluable in my planning. I've heard not to take them as the final word on everything, but I will be toting them around while I'm driving for info and suggestions.

Don't try to do everything. Find something interesting to all (or most) of you and do it. You're only at each port for a limited time. Pick something enjoyable, do it and try to relax. Don't sweat it if you miss something ... that's just an excuse to go back another time.

Lots of info at http://www.gohawaii.com

Loved reading your post! What a wonderful vacation you have planned! We have been cruising with our daughters, their husbands, and our three grandchildren since the grands were just 2-3 years old! It's a great family vacation. Our grandkids are all teenagers now, and they still love to cruise.

Their favorite activities are water oriented.

GENERAL IFO

We all love Hawaii, but our family trips there have been land vacations However, DH and I have cruised Hawaii several times, and I'm sure our kids would love to do that. We've thought about just how it would work to cruise there with every one and have come up with a few thoughts that might be of help to you.

Not sure of your exact itinerary as we've not sailed NCL in Hawaii, but first of all with all those teens remember they will probably have a great time ON BOARD the ship - quite possibly very late into the evening! I hope it will be easy to get them up and going each morning as any Hawaii itinerary is pretty port intensive and to get the most from your port calls you need to get an early start each day! Good Luck with that! That part would really STRESS OUT my DH!

MAUI

I know we would 'nt include a drive to Hana with so many young people. I know ours wouldn't be happy in the car for that length of time, and while you would no doubt be stopping often, it is a little difficult to just pull off that narrow road when ever you get the urge! Then, all of you getting out of cars in relatively small roadside stops might not be easy or very safe.

Plus with as many people as you have there might be at least one who doesn't take the curvy roads well! We would consider this much more an adult excursion.

Instead of the road to Hana I would suggest the Iao Needle park outside of Kahului. It is beautiful, the kids can hike there, and the scenery is GORGEOUS. Also nearby Kahului is the Maui Ocean Center. We have not been there but have heard that it is small but very well done. Also near Kahului and not very far on the road you would take to go to Hana there is the Hoopia Beach park (I believe I have the name right). This is where windsurfing takes place. There is a beach there but a better spot to observe is the lookout above the beach. Of course, it all depends on weather conditions but every time we have stopped there we have seen lots of action.

Of course, Maui has beautiful beaches. You seem to have maps that will show you those. Our kids would be very happy to visit a different beach every day!

Whales: I believe you may be a little late for whales. Were we going with our family in April we would not take a strictly whale watching excursion, but a snorkeling excursion would be fun and if there were whales around you might see them then or from your ship.

HAWAII: THE BIG ISLAND - KONA

There is a wonderful catamaran cruise offered independently on the Fairwind Catamaran that we would definitely love to do with our family. We have done this ourselves more than once, and it is a great day excursion. You can Google for their website. Wonderful snorkeling, great bar-b-que on board, a slide and diving board, great crew. Don't know your ship's schedule so you'd have to check out timing for that. Kona is a tender port, so you need to allow extra time for tendering to shore.

Last time we were in Kona we went to the SeaHorse Farm. We were in that port on a Sunday when the farm was closed to the public but open for ship's excursions. It was interesting to have a little seahorse wrap itself around our fingers as we submerged our hands in their tanks. If we had been there on a weekday we could have saved $$$ by going there on our own.

A drive down to the City of Refuge for a bit of Hawaiian history. There is a lagoon there where we've seen lots of sea turtles. Also great snorkeling near here. Rangers can give you information.

THE BIG ISLAND - HILO

Not much to comment on here as I would assume you plan to go to Volcano National Park. We would also include a visit to Akaka Falls with our family. Akaka Falls is in the opposite direction from the ship, but we have always found time to do both in one day including a stop at the Mauna Loa Mac Nut factory for a free sample or some mac nut ice cream on our way back to Hilo from VNP!

KAUAI

Our family's favorite beach on Kauai is Poipu Beach. We would spend the day there perhaps after going to Waimea Canyon in the morning. There is a beach you can walk to from the pier in Kauai. It is at the Marriott Hotel right near the pier - not to be confused with the Marriott timeshare located at Poipu Beach.

Kauai is a beautiful island, very quaint compared to the others, and possibly our favorite though we love them all.

If you hoped to visit the Fern Grotto be aware that it has been closed now for almost a year due to the heavy rain and mud they had last Spring. You would need to check to see if it has reopened. I believe they still have the river cruise there.

FINALLY . . . . . .

We took the Island Princess RT from Los Angeles in December. There were six adults in our group, and we rented vans in all the ports for about $50-60 plus gas. That worked really well for us. We're doing the same cruise again at the end of April. Can't wait!

I see I have gone on and on here! Have to admit, I AM a true Hawaii Cheerleader!! Hope some of it has been some help. I think it's a wonderful thing you are doing. We would try not to do too much and just try to make the days as relaxing and stress-free as possible.

Aloha and Enjoy!

We must have been posting at the same time! We also love the Revealed Books. We got ours at http://www.Amazon.com I understand most public libraries also have them. They are wonderful. I do wish I had just taken notes and left the books at home. There is a book for each island, so they are rather cumbersome to carry with you.

Also, wanted to add the website for the Fairwind Catamaran in Kona is: http://www.fair-wind.com

Have fun with your planning.

Thank you so much for the info!! I am really tossed up about the road to Hana, I don't think it sounds like something I would really want to do but I don't want to miss the beauty of maui.

I really want to know how you found a van for 50-60$$ a day. I have just started looking and it has not been pretty.

I also wondered about getting a big van so my sisters family and ours could just ride together.

Did you rent a car on every island?

We will be in Hilo from 8a-6p

Maui 8a-overnite 6p next day

Kona 7a-6p

Kauai 8a overnite 2p next day

Thanks so much for the great info!

Angie

I see you're still on this board too! Well, first of all we were in Hawaii the first part of December, and that's low season. It looks like you're going over Easter/Spring Break? Remember, not only will cruisers be renting cars but so will all the land visitors. i'm sure they adjust prices according to supply and demand! We rented through Thrifty on Kauai and in Hilo and Honolulu - joined their Blue Chip Program - and that made pick up faster and easier. We rented from Dollar at the King Kamahameha Hotel right at the pier in Kona. In Maui we were anchored in Lahaina, not Kahului where you will be and we used Enterprise there. We have also used Enterprise in Kahului on a previous trip, and they were good. To me, the MOST FRUSTRATING part of planning the trip is the car rental situation - you just have to go online and check for the best prices. Most people seem to like Hawaii Discount Car Rentals - not sure of the exact website. We just booked online directly and then called the local office to make sure all was in order. I would reserve NOW as it looks like this will be a busy time over there. No matter the price TODAY you can always keep checking and cancel and rebook if prices go down. You do not need to give cc number so you can cancel and rebook. You might consider getting two cars instead of one for all of you. Sometimes that works well with a group if some want to do one thing and others something else. I'm not sure they even have vehicles big enough for your two families. Do keep in mind that if you don't have a car reserved BEFORE you leave, you may not be able to get one when you arrive in port or it will surely cost more. We've seen walk-ins turned away because of no availability or prices way higher than we paid. Every car rental experience seems to be different for each person. GOOD LUCK!

We are leaving for Ohau April 3 with our 5 children ages 17/15/12/10/8. I have so many questions I am not sure where to start. We are crusing out on April 7 on POAm.

I have not been happy with my travel agent at all. We have spent tons of money on this trip and I really don't feel she has been helpful at all.

I have maps and one question is I want to know where the ship will port on the islands of Ohau/Hilo/Maui (Kahului)/Kona/ Kauai.

I am still trying to decide on the road to hana. Is this really worth it or should we rent a car and just go some where else?

Also, whale watching is this something my kids will already see on the ship or do we do a tour?

This is my childrens first trip and I want them to see the important things but I also want to relax on beaches.

We are also meeting up with my sister and hubby for the cruise they have 2 kids 17/14.

I do want to rent cars on some islands but if I can get buy with not doing it on some thats ok too!

Sorry so long!

Angie

Thrifty $60.02 per day, unlimited mileage, click on link

https://www.thrifty.com/reservations/index.aspx?SavedState=True&ControlTarget=TransitionLocationTime

MINIVAN: The car you selected

Dodge Caravan

(or similar)

Mini, Van, Automatic, A/C x7

2 weekend days @ $60.02/day with Unlimited Miles

*TOTAL BASE RATE (USD)

$120.04

RESERVE THIS CAR

Angie,

Welcome to the boards. I'm sure your kids (and rest of family) will have a fantastic time on the cruise and will fall in love w/Hawaii. We just did a land vacation (5 days each Big Island and Kauai) w/10 and 14 yo.

My suggestion is in Hilo rent a car and head out to VNP. Check out rates but I'd think you'll probably be better off to "caravan" in two sedans. If you're a member of Costco check out their rental rates (they've got coupons for upgrades etc). Having 2 cars might give everyone a little more "room" and also have 2 trunks to store beach stuff etc. for your day's excursions.

In Kauai the pier's not far from airport car rentals. There's a beach nearby but I'd really suggest renting car and exploring island. Scenery is amazing. You can drive to Waimea Canyon and then stop off at a beach before returning car (we enjoyed Poipu Beach though on way back from Canyon we stopped off at public beach for DS to bodysurf and we saw a few whales in the distance. We always had towels etc. in SUV and ready for "anything" if the mood struck. Can't help w/Maui or HNL. Revealed books are for each island. You could pick them up at library to get an idea and then purchase if necessary (esp. to get most current edition, Kauai gets updated almost yearly). Don't forget to make a stop for Shave Ice.. my kids LOVE it and I really enjoyed this treat too (wasn't expecting to btw).

Have fun planning. Too bad about agent though. It's a shame esp. since I'm sure they got quite a nice commish.

Carolyn

Sounds like a wonderful family trip you have planned. However, do be aware that here on the Big Island of Hawaii, the Merrie Monarch Festival will be taking place here in Hilo from Apr. 8-14th. This is the ultimate hula competition and festival here in the islands. This is the biggest event of the year on this island. Hula schools from all the islands and the mainland send their dancers to compete in the competition. The week is also filled with craft fairs, parades, etc.

Rental cars and hotel rooms are very hard to come by. Even the rental cars on the Kona side of the island tend to sell out. So, you may not see any discounted rates on the car rentals on this island the week you are cruising. If you can get a rental...I suggest you book it and then keep shopping around. This way you will at least have something on hold.

Thank you so much for the info!! I am really tossed up about the road to Hana, I don't think it sounds like something I would really want to do but I don't want to miss the beauty of maui.

I really want to know how you found a van for 50-60$$ a day. I have just started looking and it has not been pretty.

I also wondered about getting a big van so my sisters family and ours could just ride together.

Did you rent a car on every island?

We will be in Hilo from 8a-6p

Maui 8a-overnite 6p next day

Kona 7a-6p

Kauai 8a overnite 2p next day

Thanks so much for the great info!

Angie

Trust me when I tell you that you will not miss the beauty of Maui if you skip the road to Hana. There is soooo much more to Maui than that. If you want a taste of what the road might be like, you can head to Iao Valley/Needle for the lush tropical feel, flowing water, and so forth. There is a nature center and plenty of walking/hiking, and it won't require 7 hours of your day like the road to Hana (and back) would. I wouldn't do the road to Hana with 5 kids; nope. That's a heck of a lot of "in the car driving on a winding road with one line bridges" time for 5 kids to handle (at least without go crazy or driving you insane. LOL).

Edited: Oops, I see Bucky3 beat me to it in suggesting Iao. It's a good alternative, IMO.

beachchick

Thank you so much Everyone! I have been making new plans because of your help. Today I am going to do car rentals. It is hard to believe we are a little over 6 weeks away.

I didn't ask this but my travel agent booked us in the Embassy Suites in HNL for 3 nights.

Does anyone have any info on this new hotel?

I can't even find anything on their website.

Angie

Sorry so long!

Angie

Hi Angie,

My husband and I will also be on POAm 4/7 with kids (15, 11, 6) and my mom (Our first cruise and first time to Hawaii). I too have been having a hard time deciding on what to do with a family 6 with different interests. Rented a minivan in all ports except Kona where we're gonna splurge on an NCL excursion - it's very expensive for so many of us. I see you haven't joined us on the roll call yet; so far it was just my family and a couple celebrating their 35th anniversary. Glad to see there will be other kids onboard!

Betty

Hi! We will be on the same cruise wity your family of 7. Traveling with our 16 year old son, and looking at much the same itineray, though we are doing Captain Zodiacs in Kona with a group of friends also traveling that week. We are renting cars most days too.

So much to choose from! It is a bit overwhelming and we have cruised before.

Glad to see other teens on board!

Here is what I found thanks to all your help! Enterprise seems to have the best rate for a mini van. I booked them for every island except Kauai. I went a head and booked with Thrifty.

I feel like I am almost ready! We haven't decided on a luau yet but I am pretty sure we are going to try to book the Old Lahaina. With my family size it is going to cost us 600$ just to go to one.

I had thought about doing one on Ohau but for the price I don't think its a good idea.

Thanks so much for everyones help!

Angie

Re the luau, yes the Old Lahaina is considered the most "authentic." But for a group your size, and the fact that the kids vary so much in age, may I suggest the Royal Lahaina? I've gone with small kids to both, and they both thought the Royal Lahaina was more fun. The fire dancer, the food, the location, more kids there. And there are often discounts (like kids free with an adult - that sort of thing.)

Please don't do the road to Hana. I'd hate to be the child in the middle in the back, and as much as I like it, it's the ideal place to induce a wee bit of motion sickness in little ones.

Have fun! That's an order.:)

You said you had made plans for your time on Oahu. I am wondering if your plans include the Polynesian Cultural Center. If so, and if you are planning to stay for the evening performance, I wouldn't think you would need to do the Old Lahaina Luau on Mau in addition. The PCC would be a very educational and interesting day for your teens, and the evening show is fantastic.

No we are not doing the cultural center because we are meeting up with my sisters family on the cruise and we wanted to experince the luau together.

I am wondering where I can find more information on the other luau that sceptic talked about, The Royal Lahaina?

Also, something else I forgot about till the am is I need somewhere to stay for our very last day in Hawaii.

We arrive in port at 7am and don't depart until 10:45pm that night.

That day I was thinking about doing the dole plant and visiting the north shore. I want something by the beach and maybe something with a washer/dryer so I could maybe just maybe start my laundry.

Any ideas?

Angie

Angie,

I personally can't help you with the Embassy SUites since I haven't been to HNL is over 20 years and this hotel is relatively new. YOU can help me on this hotel (when you return of course, I'd really appreciate your feedback) since I have a ressie there for us in December right after Xmas. I understand there are NO closets, is brand new and since it's right next to Trump it can get a bit noisy etc with construction going on. I'd like to know how the pool area is and also beach.

As far as Kauai goes, the pier is very close to airport. I'd check out Alamo's rate. We had a ressie for cars at Alamo and Thrifty and (at least at airport kiosk) very little activity at Thrifty. We had GREAT success with Alamo. Manager there was very nice and offered us an upgrade. You might want to call up the location directly to make sure you get the exact vehicle to fit your family group's needs.

Good luck. It's going to be a wonderful family trip.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn! When I get back I will post everything I can on the Embassy.

I just called there and the lady is going to send me some information. You can't find hotel info on their normal web site. Go to embassysuiteswaikikibeachwalk.com.

Sorry, I don't know enough about computers to add its link. I do hope it is wonderful but I have decided to contact my travel agent this week and find out why her price was 600$ a night and I was just priced 419 for the same room!

Archived