family of 7 to Hawaii

petefamily7@yahoo.com

Hi Carolyn! When I get back I will post everything I can on the Embassy.

I just called there and the lady is going to send me some information. You can't find hotel info on their normal web site. Go to embassysuiteswaikikibeachwalk.com.

Sorry, I don't know enough about computers to add its link. I do hope it is wonderful but I have decided to contact my travel agent this week and find out why her price was 600$ a night and I was just priced 419 for the same room!

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=S2GA4X5B3DHF4CSGBIXMVCQKIYFCVUUC?ctyhocn=HNLESES

Room Type:

2 BDRM STE-1KG/2 QUEEN BEDS-2 BATH-NONSMOKING

Total Rooms:

Rate Detail

Rate per Room per Night: 449.00 USD

Total for Stay per Room:

Rate: 449.00 USD

Taxes: 53.70

Total: 502.70 USD

Villas in Waikiki

https://secure.hgvc.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/rentals.woa/wa/rental?rgn=hawaii

http://www.a1vacations.com/waikiki/s/6271/fa/find.squery

http://www.vacationhomes.com/19222

Angie,

Are you gettting the 2-bedroom "suite" 'cause I've read some reviews on tripadvisor.com for the hotel and it seems like the unit isn't "that large. I'd wonder if you'd be better off staying in 2 connecting rooms. Are transfers from the airport/hotel/pier included and is this a rate directly from NCL? That might result in the price. Not sure if you've past final payment and all but depending you might want to call up the hotel (if it was a package and you hopefully can cancel) and find out how much a town car may cost (group van) I think I read somewhere here on thread that it might not be "that high". We're trying to decide whether we'd want a car from airport to hotel or taxi it and then rent on a day to day basis and not pay the $25 per day parking fee.

Good luck w/TA and hotel.

Carolyn

Angie,

Are you gettting the 2-bedroom "suite" 'cause I've read some reviews on tripadvisor.com for the hotel and it seems like the unit isn't "that large. I'd wonder if you'd be better off staying in 2 connecting rooms. Are transfers from the airport/hotel/pier included and is this a rate directly from NCL? That might result in the price. Not sure if you've past final payment and all but depending you might want to call up the hotel (if it was a package and you hopefully can cancel) and find out how much a town car may cost (group van) I think I read somewhere here on thread that it might not be "that high". We're trying to decide whether we'd want a car from airport to hotel or taxi it and then rent on a day to day basis and not pay the $25 per day parking fee.

Good luck w/TA and hotel.

Carolyn

The new Embassy Suites being built are smaller than the older original Suites, economics? :eek:

Yes we are in the 2 bedroom suite. I hope its not too small!

We do have our transfers included from airport/hotel/cruise port.

With this web site and everyone's help I really didn't even need the travel agent!

I have really worked most of the day on this trip. I am going to call her Monday and question the rate. I am pretty sure I am screwed because I have this trip paid for.

I will let you all know once I talk to her.

Did you look into the NCL pre cruise package? I believe they use the Waikiki Marriott. We've never cruised the islands with NCL but I've read of people staying there and saying how convenient it is to even check in for the cruise right at the hotel and be shuttled to the port. Just a thought. It is a very nice hotel and in a good location - so is the Embassy Suites. Don't know anything about that one as I think it has just opened very recently. But $600 is A LOT even in Waikiki. Of course, if it's Easter Week I guess that could be the case.

not sure if this "option" may work or not,Angie.

Did you book the Embassy suites from a package through NCL? Wonder if you could just get 2 connecting rooms at Waikiki Marriott (but don't forget you get breakfast at Embassy). Just remember seeing pictures and reading review about SUites and that the 2 bedroom is the same size as 1 plus a small room. Perhaps you can call the hotel directly and ask.

I agree with sceptic regarding about the royal lahaina luau. Cheaper and I believe kids 5 years and under are free with each paying adult. Here is a link to the website for the discounted price :http://www.hawaiidiscountactivities.com/reservationrequest/activitylistings.asp?actkey=783&island=2&islandhome=true

We've booked this one for our July cruise. hope this helps.

I am really starting to have doubts about the Embassy! My travel agent is the one who booked it for us. I guess if it is too late we will just see what happens.

I really wish I would have just booked everything myself. I have done most of the leg work anyways.

Ask your TA to look for other hotels/villas, etc. to better handle all of you. There is no fees to cancel at these hotels. We cancelled our reservation from the Embassy Suites to Marriott Waikiki because of NCL's transfer program. We can check in our room on the cruise at the hotel, express lane at the pier. :)

I did read that the Marriott Waikiki has "Family Rooms" which sleep up to 6. good Luck.

Please don't do the road to Hana. I'd hate to be the child in the middle in the back, and as much as I like it, it's the ideal place to induce a wee bit of motion sickness in little ones.

Oh boy, you brought back childhood memories for me, sceptic! I was that child in the back and the "wee bit of motion sickness" is still with me. :eek: :D *sigh* Hana is beautiful, but.....

Sorry to be slightly off topic, Angie, but just had to add my two cents in.

:)

I think Hana is off the list of things to do! I did have on my list to do Capt. Cooks but I read somewhere you can only get there by boat?

I don't really want to do it thru NCL because of the cost.

Any ideas?

Angie

Correct. Boat/zodiac excursion, kayak excursion, or kayak rental (or you could swim a mile or so across from the other side of the bay to get to the snorkeling areas). With boat/zodiac and kayak, you need to be aware that there is no beach and no land access. You will snorkel off the boat (or kayak).

There is a 2+ mile hiking trail (hot, uphill all the way back, and not an easy walk) that used to be open, but it's been closed for safety reasons since the earthquake last fall. They are afraid of rock slides or drops from above. (Frankly, I wouldn't waste that much of my day just getting to the water and back even if the trail was open. You'd spend a couple of hours minimum on a hot, boring trek. I don't even know where parking would be near the trailhead (or even how much of a trailhead or trail there might be). I can tell you that the "uphill" part isn't just a little slope--it's really uphill. No way I'm going to do that after snorkeling.)

You might want to look into one of the commercial boat/zodiac excursions. Warning though: They are not cheap. Suggestion: Look for a morning trip because mornings are almost always better for snorkeling. Second suggestion: Look into which excursions might have kid fares (1/2 price or whatever). Third suggestion: Go snorkeling on your own at Kahalu'u or near Place of Refuge (Honaunau) south of Kona. (There's a shuttle in Kona down Ali'i Dr. to Kahalu'u if you don't want to fuss with renting cars.) Or go north and snorkel at 'Anaeho'omalu Beach/Bay (also referred to as A-Bay or A-Beach for obvious reasons), Mauna Kea, Hapuna or one of the other good beaches on the Kohala coast.

Has anyone suggested that you invest in a set of the "Revealed" series of books on Hawaii? There's one for each island. They are an excellent resource for planning and touring.

beachchick

Thanks Beachchick! Well from what you say it sounds like Capt. Cooks is out for us. My kids are too small to snorkel all day or even for a few hours. I thought there was beach so they could get in and out.

Yes I am going to get those revealed books! They sound like the Bible for Hawaii!!

The Shuttle in Kona, is it close to our port? I do already have a car booked but I could always cancel.

Thanks for you help! Angie

I actually don't know where the shuttle is because DH and I always rent a car. You might want to try an advanced search on this forum for "kona shuttle" going back about a month. I recall a few threads about it recently.

Your kids could get in and out at K-Bay, but only on and off the boat; no beach or other land. Depending on your kids' ages and interests, it might be too long for them in any case. The other issue, of course, is cost. For that many people, you're looking at a pretty pricy few hours.

The shuttle to Kahalu'u might be just the ticket for you: Inexpensive transport, beach and facilities, good snorkeling and swimming, and even food available.

Our Revealed books are at least four editions out of date, but are still so helpful. In fact, we don't even have the one for Oahu because it hadn't been published at all when we bought ours. They are well worth the investment.

beachchick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, We did the Road to Hana 16 yrs ago on our honeymoon. we took a slow trip down but were faster on the way back. The road is very windy. I remember feeling sick when we got back. My stomach was off from a full day and it is a long drive back on a curvy road. I was 26. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I would want to do it as a child/teenager..then again, I am not a good passenger in a car..Enjoy your trip, we are leaving soon as well.!

Just thought I'd check in to see how you are doing. Have you got it all together now? Don't hesitate to ask more questions if need be. It's going to be a great trip for you and your family and I can hardly wait for your return report!

Archived