Taxi to Mountain Top

winner1965

Hello:

Does anyone know if it is possible to take a taxi from the pier to the Mountain Top first for a little sightseeing then to Magen beach, and what would be the cost? Is it possible to get a private taxi for a tour like this for our own party of 3?

thanks

Do a search in this forum on either Sonny/Sunny Liston or Godfrey. They offer tours that do just that and I think it's maybe $20/$25 per person.

Hi Linda:

Yes I have considered the Sunny or Godfrey tour, but the Jewel will only be at port from 8am to 4 pm. I believe I won't have any beach time if taking the tour (maybe 15 min). So I would like to take a quick tour of the Mountain top as soon as the ship arrived and then spend a few hours at Magen beach before returning for a bit of shopping.

thanks

Most of the taxis here are geared for groups of 10 or more, and the fare structure would make it expensive for 3 people to go from the pier to Mountain Top, from Mountain Top to Megan's, and then from Megan's back to the ship.

However, if you take any of the "2 Hour Tours" you'll get Mountain Top plus beach and back to the ship for approx $25 per person. You'll also be taken past other sites, so I don't know exactly how long the actual tour portion is. That's the best deal, and it'll give you approx 4 hours beach time (clarify that with the driver).

Just ask the first driver you see at the dock for a 2 hour tour that includes Megan's, and you should be on your way in no time. The taxis will be waiting for you when you get off the ship.

Most of the taxis here are geared for groups of 10 or more, and the fare structure would make it expensive for 3 people to go from the pier to Mountain Top, from Mountain Top to Megan's, and then from Megan's back to the ship.

However, if you take any of the "2 Hour Tours" you'll get Mountain Top plus beach and back to the ship for approx $25 per person. You'll also be taken past other sites, so I don't know exactly how long the actual tour portion is. That's the best deal, and it'll give you approx 4 hours beach time (clarify that with the driver).

Just ask the first driver you see at the dock for a 2 hour tour that includes Megan's, and you should be on your way in no time. The taxis will be waiting for you when you get off the ship.

Thanks for the info, this seems to be a good choice. How exactly are these "2 hours tour" work? Do you get drop off at some fixed sites or do you get your choices of where to go? Do you get to decide how long to stay at the beach? Do they take more than one group for the tour?

Hello,

The full day; shopping, tour, beach tours generally have a fixed schedule, 2 or 3 beach choices and are group tours. You can request just a tour with drop off at the beach when the tour is over and then you can take a taxi back. The tour is a driving tour, you stop at some set places for a bit, hear some information, take photos and move on. If you want a private tour and to choose where you go ect. you can request this as well, price might be a little more. When you get off the ship there will be taxis around you let them know what you want to do, are looking for.

--Islander

Goodwrench, that sounds like a good deal - the $15. Can you please post more details so that others may also take advantage of it? Hopefully you remember who the driver was!

Did your tour include beach time? Most of the drivers combine beach + Mountain Top, etc for $20 to $25 (I think prices are starting to come down a bit) with transport back to the ship included. Most of the taxi drivers lined up at the dock offer these tours - but if you're set on going to a specific beach, make sure you insist that that's where you're going. Depending on the number of ships in town, drivers take people to different beaches to avoid crowds. So, if you want Megan's, make sure your driver is taking you to Megan's (bar some traffic accident or something that may stall traffic there or back).

When we first arrived the women had to go bling shopping, so we took a van taxi into town and from there we grabbed an open air taxi that took us on a tour. She wanted to take us to more spots but we all wanted to return to the ship. She was willing to take us down to Megan's but opted out of that. We were the only ship in port that day so I guess it was slow for the cabbies. Yeah we thought that $15 per was pretty dam good. Leaving port in St Thomas was also a sight not to be missed especially when the island is lit up.

Here's a picture from our last trip there. Mountain Top is really worth it. We took a tour that didn't go to the beach so I can't help you there. Be sure to get your picture taken with some of the pirates hanging out in the bar. I got a great deal on baseball caps there, too. Two for $10.00 on sale.

MTT003-2.jpg

Archived