What is the best cruising AGE for kids?

Luxuriate

My son is 2 1/2. Not out of diapers and probably won't be for another six months to a year. Seriously, all, what is the best age to take a child on a cruise. I'm thinking the first cruise is best about age four. Would you agree?

My son has been in a small daycare since he was two months old so he is pretty used to lots of kids and a routine but I truly want this to be a good experience for both him and my husband and me. I'm afraid if it doesn't go well we may never try again. Hubby and I were frequent cruisers before our son.

Thank you for your advice.

Cheryl

My son is 2 1/2. Not out of diapers and probably won't be for another six months to a year. Seriously, all, what is the best age to take a child on a cruise. I'm thinking the first cruise is best about age four. Would you agree?

My son has been in a small daycare since he was two months old so he is pretty used to lots of kids and a routine but I truly want this to be a good experience for both him and my husband and me. I'm afraid if it doesn't go well we may never try again. Hubby and I were frequent cruisers before our son.

Thank you for your advice.

Cheryl

I agree that 4 is a good age. We travelled with our two kids at all ages from newborn to 8 yrs. While we enjoyed our cruises with them as infants and toddlers, it is definitely much more relaxing and enjoyable these days because they are potty-trained, can eat more variety of foods, and eligible (and confident enough) for the kid's programs.

I understand it can be difficult going anywhere with a toddler. But I still think you can go now if you want. If you are worried about not being able to use the pool, then pick a port-intensive cruise so that you can get some good beach time scheduled. Many of the catamaran/sail excursions (the shorter ones) allow small children too.

Also, since they are too young for most kids programs until they are 3 - schedule an in-room babysitter for the evenings (usually get the same person all week from what I have heard). THen you can have dinners for just the adults.

Hi! I agree with the previous poster who said you could consider going now. On our first cruise, DD was 25 months. We chose Carnival simply because they allow 2 year olds in camp and they change diapers. She had a great time, we had a great time, and we've been hooked ever since!

I also agree that a cruise which will allow you to do some water/beach activities makes the no pool rule less of a problem (although it was never an issue for us - she just knew from the beginning the pool was off limits and that was that.)

Happy cruising, whenever you decide to go for it!

I agree you CAN take your child at earlier ages, BUT as you are paying for them either way, I just want to reemphasize that IMO parents and children will get so much more out of the cruise if the child is potty-trained and more mature.

"I just want to reemphasize that IMO parents and children will get so much more out of the cruise if the child is potty-trained and more mature."

Well, I have to say that the more thought I give to it the more I realize that potty-training is a big deal. Not having the counselors change diapers would really be a pain. I think we will wait until we are sure he is trained.

Thanks

Cheryl

Our DD was 21 months old the first time we cruised. It was a great cruise. Of course, since she was too young for camp all of our activities had to be ones she could do as well, but we knew that going in and it was fine.

You know your family best and whether it would be difficult for you before he's diaper-free.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

We took our girl on her first cruise at 23 months on a Carnival ship. My hubby was apprehensive and we knew she was one month short of getting into the kids program, but as it turned out, we all had fun. Since then, she has gone on five more cruises -- at 3 yrs, 4 yrs, 5 yrs, 7 yrs and 8 yrs. We can't see going on a cruise without her.

BTW, not all cruiselines offer the in-cabin sitting as mentioned above.

I started both of my children cruising at 8 months old (they are 7 and 2 now)...but I agree....being potty trained would allow for the easiest time.

My youngest was potty trained at 2, so we were able to go into the pools onboard the ship. And we did Carnival so she could go to the kids club.

For her 3rd birthday, we are going on RCCL Freedom of the Seas because they accept kids who are 3 in their kids club.

So potty trained would make it easier. But I still love to travel with babies...they sleep in a carrier car seat and don't run off anywhere. ;)

If you are looking for the best age for your child's enjoyment - I'd agree with the posters who say all ages are best. Most kids want to spend good quality time with their family at any age. As they get older, they will also want to spend some time with some peers, and generally cruises are a good place to meet other kids.

If a parent is looking for the best age for the child as far as for THEIR enjoyment - 5YO to about 9YO is best. Prior to 4 or 5, your child may want to spend more time with the parents than they had planned. After 10 or 11YO, the child wants more independence; and as the child's parents they will need to provide guidance and be responsible for their child's behavior. In the 5 to 9YO range, the children's program will keep the kids busy and happy with limited impingment upon the parent's time or energy. (sorry the CondeNast article really struck a raw cord with me!)

I have two kids. My oldest son started cruising at age 8 and finally stopped enjoying it at age 16.

My younger son has been cruising since he was born (3 months) and is now 6. He still loves it. He went willingly to the kids program at age 3 almost 4. So I agree that 4 is probably a safe bet but three is fine too. I am going to cruise until he doesn't like it anymore. Then I will probably do some other types of travel with him.

My older son (now 19) likes to go places on his own more than with me. But at 14 we went to Italy together and did a train trip. He loved that and we really had a wonderful time.

For now though, cruising is still my number one choice with a six year old.

Our youngest is 8 and she went on her first cruise last year at 7. She decided she wanted to quit school and just cruise all the time- just like all of us!

I saw plenty of people on both our cruises with small kids and everyone seems to be having fun. If the kids are too young for the organized program, don't most ships offer additional-cost babysitting? Gosh, I would have paid almost anything when my three older kids were small to get some quality time with DH and some time off from being Mama. Go for it!

Barb

Archived