Turtles from beach

stefmo

Has anyone seen turtles close to the beach,

while snorkeling from a beach or do you

have to go with a tour to see them ?

When we were on Silvermoon 2 in January, some people had swum out from the beach to see the turtles. Problem is, it's a fairly long swim, and most easily done with fins. However, you're not supposed to wear fins around the turtles, because you could hit them with the fins, which isn't good for the turtles, and the people who came out from the beach while we were there were doing just that. If your endurance isn't good enough to do the swim there and back without fins, I'd book an excursion.

Jodi

I been out to the turtles by kayak, catamaran, and by myself as a shore swim (without flippers)...

Like the above poster, the swim out if fairly rigorous, especially without fins, especially if there even a slight chop (say 1 foot) that wouldn't be noticed by those entering the water by boat. When I swam out the exersize of the swim out and the awareness of a needed "energy reserve" for the swim back prevented me from relaxing and enjoying the turtles as much as I would've liked. If you're fit and a swimming enthusiast, the shore swim is do-able - but for the majority it is less than optimal.

When you consider taxi expense and other factors, I don't think that the economy of doing it on your own is worth it (and I'm one usually advocates independent excursioning).

As a another tip though, my experience is that the turtles are more abundant and interested prior to being fed (overfed?) by morning excursioners so if you come in the afternoon, you're less likely to see as many than if you come in the morning when they're hungry. I suggest you splurge a little and do a packaged turtle excursion that goes out in the morning, then hit one of the beaches near the ship terminal (Boatyard or Brandon-Malibu) in the afternoon.

I been out to the turtles by kayak, catamaran, and by myself as a shore swim (without flippers)...

Like the above poster, the swim out if fairly rigorous, especially without fins, especially if there even a slight chop (say 1 foot) that wouldn't be noticed by those entering the water by boat. When I swam out the exersize of the swim out and the awareness of a needed "energy reserve" for the swim back prevented me from relaxing and enjoying the turtles as much as I would've liked. If you're fit and a swimming enthusiast, the shore swim is do-able - but for the majority it is less than optimal.

When you consider taxi expense and other factors, I don't think that the economy of doing it on your own is worth it (and I'm one usually advocates independent excursioning).

As a another tip though, my experience is that the turtles are more abundant and interested prior to being fed (overfed?) by morning excursioners so if you come in the afternoon, you're less likely to see as many than if you come in the morning when they're hungry. I suggest you splurge a little and do a packaged turtle excursion that goes out in the morning, then hit one of the beaches near the ship terminal (Boatyard or Brandon-Malibu) in the afternoon.

Archived