dunns river falls & white river tubing on our own????

niagaracruisers

going @ march break with costa - want to do both tubing on the white river & dunns river falls - family of 4 - could we do these things on our own or is it better/just as costly to take an excursion???? how much would a taxi be??? & how much is admission to each???? any info would be much appreciated!!!!

Ionie McBeam took our family of four to dunn's river falls and river tubing. IT was much cheaper then the cruise tour and much more personal. We got to the falls before everyone. We climbed the falls ourselves. We also went river tubing with just the four of us. She watched our belongings for us after dropping us off at each tour. I would definately recommend her.

going @ march break with costa - want to do both tubing on the white river & dunns river falls - family of 4 - could we do these things on our own or is it better/just as costly to take an excursion???? how much would a taxi be??? & how much is admission to each???? any info would be much appreciated!!!!

I haven't been on this tour yet, but I thought I would help some of you out by telling you about Peat Taylor and his tour of Jamaica. We'll be in port on March 14th and we are using him. I know that this tour will get you to the Dunn Falls before the rest of the people on your cruise ship and take you to see things the crusie ship excursions won't. It's cheaper too. Here's an email I just recieved about what is included. I have read rave reviews on his web site too.

"I take pleasure in forwarding the following proposal as requested:

I will refer to the Ocho Rios Itinerary and make the necessary

arrangements. The tour begins with a visit to Dunn’s River falls one of the main attraction in Jamaica, we then drive through the Fern Gully which was a once river there you will see various species of ferns, we will then make our way through a typical Jamaican neighborhood where we’ll stop for 5-10 minutes to visit a school and walk around the neighborhood there you’ll get a chance to meet the most important people in the village, the children. Shopping for souvenirs can also be done at this location and you’ll get a chance to take pictures of the mountainous terrain of Jamaica.

If you need to purchase more items we’ll stop at the, Craft Market and

Gem Place or Tajmahal shopping center or stop at Margariita Ville.

The cost is US35.00 per adult and US$25.00 per child inclusive of

admission to the Falls and transportation to the other locations, no fare for children under 2 years old.

We’ll then break for lunch which is optional and is not included in the

price below. You can have lunch either on the island or back on the

ship The Ruin’s Restaurant is my # 1 recommendation which is a beautiful place with a water falls similar to Dunn's River where you dine in a beautiful setting with the sounds of gushing water cascading down a rock. , this showcase a Local Cuisine of National and International Dishes buffet style, a Jerk Pit and Alcohol and Non Alcoholic Beverages at a cost of US$15.00 per adult & US$12.00 per child, they accept all method of payment cash, travelers cheque and cards.

After lunch we provide free returned transportation service to tubing

or Horse backing or beach, they are optional and entry fees are not

included in the price stated above. Tubing, entry fee of US$20.00 per person. Horse back riding, 1 hour entry fee of US$ 30.00 per person. Tour will last approximately 4 1/2 – 5 1/2hrs. We have 15 and 30 passenger seats buses Air Conditioned buses and take 12 and 25 passengers respectively.

Private Tour

On request for private tour a minimum of the cost for four (4) seats

will be required, that is, any number of persons below 4 persons will be

required to Pay for 4 seats the regular tour is per persons. This does not

necessarily means that I personally will be your driver and Tour Guide but I can recommend persons who have been working with me for a number of years.

Sincerely

Peat /Oneil Taylor"

http://www.peattaylor.com/

Can't wait to go!!! Hope this helps some of you folks. Oh, and bring candy, or a little school supplies for the children you will see. I guess they sing to you and it's a real treat to hear! Jamaica is not a wealth country and neither or the people.

I found this great tour company http://markstours.com/home.html . From the moment we got to Jamaica we were greeted with warmth. We walked over to the taxis and asked for Mark Morris and one gentleman made the call for us. I was really impressed; they seemed to respect one another’s customers. Mark showed up within ten minutes and showed us a wonderful day. The Dunn’s River Falls and White River was a must to see and to experience. Mark was waiting for us after each place and took us around showing us places and educating us about his island. As a travel agent I loved all the history and knowledge that this young man shared with us and will help with booking future clients that want to stay in Ocho Rios. I would highly recommend this articulate, friendly and very professional young man to show you around. If you get the pleasure ask him about his dad’s pottery shop and stop in and purchase a one of kind piece. My sister and I love ours and every time I use my salt and pepper shakers I smile and think about the wonderful time I had in Jamaica. Any questions feel free to email me. sbsmgr@aol.com

With Ionie it was $50 per person. She picked us up at the pier. Took us to the falls. (Watched our belongings while she waited for us). Took us to the rafting (and watched our belongings again). Gave us a tour of the island and took us to a beach. Then took us back to the pier.

The price included all of our entrance fees to everything. So it was definately a good deal.

The cost was $50 per person which included:

pickup and drop off at the pier

transportation to all of our activities

ionie watched our things in the van while we were at the activities

entrance fees to dunn river falls

cost to go tubing/rafting

tour of the area

trip to small beach.

We were in a similar dilemma when we went in January. I wanted to take a cab to go river tubing on our own. Now that we've been, I am SOOO glad we hired someone to take us. I think you'll find you'll feel A LOT safer having someone bring you (it's not exactly the nicest area to go through on the way there) and there are no cabs waiting at the end to take you back. When you hire someone, they'll be there waiting with all your belongings (kept safe) and your towel. It's not like you end up where you started. Where would you leave your towel? BTW, we used Marva Shaw from KnowJamaica.com. I highly recommend her.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a cruise that included Ocho Rios. We did not take the tour but did take a taxi to the falls, this was a van from the Princess dock - 8 people in our group got a personal tour of the island after the falls and ate jerk chicken and pork a a little out-of-the-way place that was great. The tour of the island in our own private van was $20 US each. The falls admission was $15 each and water shoe rental was $5. We all liked climbing the falls and would do it again, there were many photo opps. If you bring your won camera and carry it yourself - it will get wet, you can give it to your group leader and they will take pics of you and your group wiht your own camera - very cool to have later as we all thought these were the best pictures of everyone! All wet - who knew.

Archived