Stanley Park

We are in Vancouver in late May with reservations at the Westin Bayshore. The reason I chose this hotel was its proximity to Stanley Park. Now, after reading about all the damage done to the park I'm wondering should I switch to a hotel more central, maybe the Sheraton Wall Centre. Thanks

Don't switch. The Bayshore is a nice hotel in a great location. As far I I've seen, most of the really bad damage in Stanley Park is on the west side. The seawall from the Bayshore is on the east/north side of the park. You'll see some damage, but you'll certainly be able to get out and enjoy the park.

Don't switch. The Bayshore is a nice hotel in a great location. As far I I've seen, most of the really bad damage in Stanley Park is on the west side. The seawall from the Bayshore is on the east/north side of the park. You'll see some damage, but you'll certainly be able to get out and enjoy the park.

I agree :) The Bayshore in my humble opinion is the best hotel in Vancouver! Great location, fantastic views of the North Shore and very quiet location at night.

:)

• 1 month later...

In mid december, a terrible windstorm blew threw knocking down/uprooting thousands of trees.

you can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park (in the section called "the forest" )

most of the trails are now open again http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/news/2007/070330_trailsopen.htm

but you'll definitely still see some downed trees around.

still very spectacular imho - the vast majority of trees are still standing.

weathermom - thank you so much for your reply. We are in East Texas and just did not hear that news. I am so sad anytime one large tree falls, so to have so many destroyed is heartbreaking. We were in Vancouver 3 years ago and just loved it, so we are ret. in July for another cruise and we are spending 2 extra days and nights, just to enjoy your lovely city and its friendly folks. Any suggestions of things that are must sees. We esp. love nature and wildlife. gg

if you are - then there are lots of things around. I'm assuming that you're not aiming for the "typical" tourist stuff...

If you want to stay in the city area - there are some great truly natural parks - lighthouse park on the north shore, grouse mountain ...also on the north shore. you'll really feel like you can get out & stretch your legs on a walk of either of these + amazing views of the city. If you're at Grouse Mountain - the capilano suspension bridge (about 1/2 way up the mountain on the same road) is quite cool too!

Whistler is just a couple of hours drive in the summertime & it's really beautiful if the weather is good (the drive can be spectacular - particularly as you drive back from whistler looking out towards the water with the mountains towering on both sides. Squamish - about 1/2way to whistler is well known for hiking, rock climbing & windsurfing. If you go through there in the late afternoon on a sunny day - take a detour to the squamish spit (well marked on the roads) and you'll see dozens of windsurfers & kiteboarders in the strong winds that develop there on sunny summer afternoons....very cool

we also have some great beaches around the city - jericho beach (in vancouver) and pacific spirit park (both are near one of our universities (UBC) ...you'll never believe that you're in the 3rd largest city in our country.

other great beaches are in Tsawwassen & also White Rock..these are much less busy & you can walk for miles on the clean hard sand.

there are tour boats that go year round from a quaint seaside town (called Steveston ) within the city of Richmond (just south of the airport). these tour boats will take you out to look at killer whales & sea lions.

also can be great salmon fishing in july if you're into that.

Drove through the Park yesterday to see for myself. Yes there were quite a few treees taken out and park look like a logging show from the 60's up North in a few places.

But...

If you have never been to the Park before by the time that the spring growth is finished everyone will think the park is fine as you would now actually.

It is still beautiful and I'm sure they will have some more of the down tree's out of the way by summer. As mentioned some of the trails and the seawall around part of the West side will be closed for a while yet.

Mother Nature just did one big pruning job.

Archived