Shore Excursions in Mediteranean on Millenium

baltimorebarb

Hi-

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on this? I will be travelling with my husband's family and my two 3 year old sons on the Millenium for the first two weeks in August. We will be departing form Venice and cruising the Med., ending up in Barcelona.

Even though we are travelling with family, we will be solo on most days so I really would like to get an idea of what excursions might work best for my sons. My husband and I are fairly active and in pretty good shape (thanks to my sons!) so walking a couple of miles every day is no problem.

My SIL and I have called Celebrity and asked for suggestions or reccomendations but they refuse to offer any suggestions. I would like to get some idea of what tours would be appropriate or inappropriate for my sons. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

barbara

On the main board of Cruise critics is a section called Port of Calls. Look for your various port you will be visiting. There are a lot of great ideas under each port. Have fun planning.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Quite of few of the shore excursions for Rome and Florence are quite long and tiring---some for as long as 12 hours. Also know that getting from the ports to get to Rome and Florence is a very long ride (can be 90 minutes to two hours). Also, August could very well be unbearably hot so be prepared for that. Take along lots of water and juices for the boys because dehydration can be a problem.

Go to the Celebrity website and look at the excursions they offer for each of your ports. By reading the explanations, you should be able to decide what might and might not be appropriate for you. If your boys tire easily, you might want to either do your own independent tours, or take tours that are shorter in length. Finding toilet facilities are also tough when on a ship's tour. Plus, the tour groups are usually quite large in number, usually about 50 per group.

Tracie

Thank you Tracie and Serena for you responses. I noticed that some of the tours are VERY long. Rome is one of the tours that we HAVE to do with his family. Of course, I glad to have the opportunity to see Rome. Hopefully, my sons will sleep on the way back from Rome to Livorno. We were thinking of hiring an independent tour guide for Rome. There are 9 of us including muy sons, so I will check out the port of call board to see what I can find.

Thanks again!

Barbara

Archived