Airport - Best Western Emerald Beach

abenaki

I apologize if this has been answered b4, but can you tell me how long of a walk it is from Crown Bay to this beach and if there are any chair and umbrella rentals?

Any and all information on the beach and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I heard the property is run down, but how is the sand and the water? Is it rocky? clean? safe?

Thanks so much in advance...

Honestly, after spending 9 days on St Thomas and St John and then spending our last night at the BW I was not very impressed with this beach and the snorkeling was pretty poor compared to all the other beaches we visited (the water was dark and there wasn't anything to see anyway according to my DH and DD). It doesn't compare to the other beaches at all IMO but here's a picture (sorry, it's not a good picture of the actual beach).

I think I've seen other posts on here that say it's within walking distance of Crown Bay but I really can't give you any specifics. There were chairs there for guests and I'm assuming chairs are available for non-guests as well.

USVI_JUN06748.jpg

Jeanne,

This was so nice of you to take the time and post this picture for us. Due to disabilities we will only be able to go to a beach close to the pier. At first we were hoping to go to Water Island, but it sounds like there is a long rocky walk over there. We have gone to other beaches in prior years when the ship docked at Havensight, but were hoping that we could find a spot that we could just get to quickly and relax on the beach. Is it possible to get sun or is it very dismal and have dirty water? Rocky?

Sorry, for asking more questions, as my intention was just to thank you for taking the time to post....

By VI standards, Emerald Beach doesn't win any prizes, but compared to lots of beaches elsewhere, it's good. It's not a good snorkeling beach, though.

It's a white sandy beach for most parts. Where it is rocky, they've built a small park with benches and, I think, restrooms. It's nice to sit there and just look out at the water - lots of iguanas hang out there, and in the trees near the beach.

They rent chairs, but lots of people just lay out on their towels near the shade trees.

Some people have written very favorable reviews about this beach - I suggest you do a search so you can read what others have said.

I agree with what Ms411 wrote, especially knowing now that you've already been to other beaches on St Thomas. If this had been your first time there I would have urged you to try one of the other beaches but if you're just looking for a sandy beach to get some sun the BW will be fine. The water wasn't dirty, just dark.

When our time on St John was over :( we took the ferry to Charlotte Amalie and took a taxi from there to the BW. I looked at my map of St Thomas and it looks like it's less than a mile to the BW from Crown Bay? Hopefully Islander or someone else here can confirm that. It looks like the same distance from Crown Bay to the BW as it is from the BW to the airport and we walked to the airport, I'd guess that walk was about 3/4 of a mile.

We went to this beach in January and we all enjoyed it very much. We actually were at the Beachcomber Club next door to the BW. The beach is small, but it's great for swimming and sunning - probably not for snorkeling. We rented chairs for $5 each, there was a great little bar there (also a restaurant, but we had already eaten), and restrooms.

I would suggest taking a cab, we did, it wasn't far, but I don't think I would have wanted to walk it. I think we paid about $4 per person.

If you're just looking for a quiet beach to relax on, I think it was great.

We spent a very nice day at Emerald Beach in December. It is a short taxi ride from Crown Bay dock, the fare is $4/pp. It is close enough to walk but I didn't see a direct route with sidewalks so I would go by cab. The beach is a bargain compared to the others on the island, only $5 for a chair. The hotel has clean bathrooms and a bar/restaurant available for use. I agree, it is not as nice as Coki beach or Megan's Bay, you will not see the same clear blue water. However, it was very quiet, not at all crowded. If you want to snorkel go to Coki, if you just want an easy relaxing day close to the ship then you will be pleased with Emerald Beach.

• 1 year later...

How far away from this Best Western is Sapphire Beach and do you know how expensive it would be by taxi to get there?

What would be the best time to visit St. Thomas when it comes to the weather(rain,warmth) and Sapphire Beach?

When is it less crowded at this beach?

Are there places to buy groceries at Sapphire because was planning on staying a week and still wanted to do some cooking?

Yes, I know alot of questions but if I don't know the answer I know the place to come for those answers is cruise critic and I do appreciate your help. :D

THANKS A BUNCH!

Crown Bay to Emerald is about .7 miles. There are chairs for rent, no umbrellas but there is some natural shade.

Best Western to Sapphire would be about a 35 minute drive in low/moderate traffic. Taxi would be $11 per person, one way. There is a small store at Sapphire that sells souvenirs, snacks, sodas, they had some frozen food stuff too; for a grocery store you can head to Red Hook, which is just a minute drive from Sapphire.

--Islander

Archived