MSC Lirica Currency Question

sja307

We are cruising on MSC Lirica, Jewels of the Carribean in April. Would anybody be kind enough to tell me what currency we will need to take? (Haven't been cruisng before) Ittinary: Port Everglades - San Juan - Phillipsburg - St George's - Bridgetown - St Lucia - Tortola - Cayo Leventado. Sorry forgot to say we are from England!!

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Sue x :cool:

We are cruising on MSC Lirica, Jewels of the Carribean in April. Would anybody be kind enough to tell me what currency we will need to take? (Haven't been cruisng before) Ittinary: Port Everglades - San Juan - Phillipsburg - St George's - Bridgetown - St Lucia - Tortola - Cayo Leventado. Sorry forgot to say we are from England!!

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Sue x :cool:

Dear Sue x,

I have been every place you mentioned above except Cayo Leventado and I can report the American dollar is widely accepted in each of the ports mentioned above. Actually I beleive for some reason they prefer the dollar to their own currency. Even the street merchants will take American dollars. Just watch out that you get your change in American dollars. The currency used on some islands is valueless off the island. For example in Hondorus they use Limpera and after you leave Hondorus they are worthless unless you collect Limpera. In American you can't find a bank to exchange Limpera into American money.

If I were you I would get, from a local bank in England, American dollars and get them in smaller denominations like $1, $5, $10 and a few $20. I wouldn't take anything larger than a $20. Also only take new bills. A bill which has writting on it or it is torn will not be acceptable in some places.

I understand the ship is bad on making change so try to get this done a home. Or get to the US early and go to a local bank and change your pounds into small American bills. Most larger banks will exchange English pounds into American dollars. There are very few money changers in the US like you have in England. You will fine a few in the duty free portion of some international airports but in all my travels i have only seen a few. Like in England they are everywhere in the airports. There is a exchange fee so try to keep it close. You will lose money when you sell it back to the bank. At least you do in the US. Now in England you might make money. How is the pound against the dollar these days?

Hope this helps.

Don

We were just on the Lirica and the dollar is the coin of the realm in the Carribbean. We found that the money exchange was open every day but the last one on our southern itinerary. I believe there was a 3% charge for cashing travelers checks and sometimes there was a limit on getting small bills like $1s and $5s so we planned ahead to be sure we got plenty for onshore tipping.

Archived