Waverunner Excursion Question

mommatee

To those of you that have done this excursion - I understand that there is a compartment in front of the waverunner to put things, but is this compartment waterproof? The reason I'm asking is because I wear hearing aids and am not supposed to get them wet. Thanks in advance!

We just returned from the Jet ski tour in Grand Cayman, and I'll give you another opinion. We had booked the 1pm tour about 3 weeks before our Feb 11 cruise on the Carnival Liberty. We tried to get an eariler tour, but those times were booked. We took a Van from the docks and paid $7.00 a person to take us to the Grand Cayamian hotel, which is where the jet ski's office is. Be careful, because we had two couples that got stuck with cab fares of $20.00 and $25.00 each way, which is a total ripoff. Yes the resort is a little out of the way, but not worth a $20+ cab fare. The jet skis are brand new Sea Doo 1500 and are very fast. The two guys that run the tour are real nice guys that sorta expect you to already know how to ride a jet ski. My wife and I have ridden them several times, but one couple was new at this. The guides did give them a 2 minute training session, but that was it. We alll have ski vests on, so there is no chance of sinking if anyone should fall off. These jet skis are very large 3 seaters, and it would be very hard to tip them over. They also have plenty of storage for your personal items, and yes they will stay dry. We rode the skis out to the stingray sandbar and spent about 30 minutes "playing with the stingrays". We then went to Rum Point and enjoyed the beach and restaurant for 20 min. (Very expensive because the US dollar is only worth about 80 cents in Cayman dollars). Then its off to the races to get back to the dock. The entire trip was about 2:15min long. It might of been longer but a couple of us had to get back to catch the ferry back to the ship. Our guides advised that they would call us a cab as we were headding back to the dock, but we had already made arrangements to get back by a couple we met on the beach there that were staying at the hotel in a time share. They volunteered to take us back to the ship with their rental car. All in all it was a very fun day of Jet skiing and enjoyiing the Grand Cayman Island. The price is very fare, and you will have a great time. Any other questions, feel free to write. Stop at "Margaritaville" after your done. Great new store and restaurant.

I went on this tour several weeks ago and also highly recommend it. There were four of us with two guides. Talk about a personalized experience.... We had items in a freezer style baggie and they got wet on the ride. Of course we were going a little fast and seeing just how much we could push the waverunners:D That being said, I would also buy a good water tight dive bag. Have a great time!

I do have a "Good" dive waterproof bag that I used when we swam with the dolphins. But for some reason the "waterproof" wasn't fool proof. Maybe I didn't have it sealed correctly. If you don't have it sealed "just right", it won't work. If worst comes to worst, I can put the hearing aids in the waterproof bag and wear it around my neck. I think if the bag doesn't get submerged under water, it should be waterproof enough : )

To those of you that have done this excursion - I understand that there is a compartment in front of the waverunner to put things, but is this compartment waterproof? The reason I'm asking is because I wear hearing aids and am not supposed to get them wet. Thanks in advance!

Can you do without the hearing aids? I can't think of anywhere on this trip where you will be dry enough to put them in. You'll be in the water with the stingrays, then at Rum Point, you don't have a towel to dry off with. You're just kind-of hanging out in your bathing suit for 20 minutes or so. Then its back on waverunner back to the resort. You can leave your dry belongings in the shack at the resort. When you're hanging out at Rum Point, you're pretty much just catching your breath, using the restroom, sitting enjoying the view. If they really can't get wet at all, I think you'd be better off leaving behind for safekeeping.

Can you do without the hearing aids? I can't think of anywhere on this trip where you will be dry enough to put them in. You'll be in the water with the stingrays, then at Rum Point, you don't have a towel to dry off with. You're just kind-of hanging out in your bathing suit for 20 minutes or so. Then its back on waverunner back to the resort. You can leave your dry belongings in the shack at the resort. When you're hanging out at Rum Point, you're pretty much just catching your breath, using the restroom, sitting enjoying the view. If they really can't get wet at all, I think you'd be better off leaving behind for safekeeping.

That's an excellent idea! That's exactly what I will do. Does the shack at the resort have a "secure" place to put your things?

Well, define ......secure.....:D

Just kidding. I don't know if they have lockers or anything like that but there's a "shack" where you meet to go on the excursion. While we were on the excursion, we all left our bags inside the shack with the guy who stays behind. Our valuables were fine. I mistakenly left my waterproof lanyard with my cruise card, my drivers license and some money in my bag. I guess I got so excited about going on the waverunners, I forgot to put it back around my neck! I didn't realize it until we got to Stingray City and took our lifevests off. Anyway, everything was right where we left it in the shack. Nothing had been moved. Also, the shack isn't near anything. It's off to the side of the beach, away from the pool and there wasn't anyone on the beach. It's not like there are people crowded anywhere near the shack. I would just put them in a waterproof bag in the bottom of your bag.

Well, define ......secure.....:D

Just kidding. I don't know if they have lockers or anything like that but there's a "shack" where you meet to go on the excursion. While we were on the excursion, we all left our bags inside the shack with the guy who stays behind. Our valuables were fine. I mistakenly left my waterproof lanyard with my cruise card, my drivers license and some money in my bag. I guess I got so excited about going on the waverunners, I forgot to put it back around my neck! I didn't realize it until we got to Stingray City and took our lifevests off. Anyway, everything was right where we left it in the shack. Nothing had been moved. Also, the shack isn't near anything. It's off to the side of the beach, away from the pool and there wasn't anyone on the beach. It's not like there are people crowded anywhere near the shack. I would just put them in a waterproof bag in the bottom of your bag.

I'm sure no one would steal someone else's hearing aids - but for the $6,000.00 I paid for them, I may leave them on the ship and have my DH listen for me : )

Does anyone know how long the cab ride is to get there? We have them booked for 1:00pm and would like to shop around town before heading out to the waverunners.;)

According to the Waverunnder Excursion Website, its about a 15 minute drive.

"The Grand Cayman Wave Runner Stingray City Adventure starts from a beautiful Resort found a short 15 minute drive from the Port of George Town"

I've also read other posters saying 10 minutes & 20 minutes.

It depends on if the cab stops along seven mile beach on the way to the resort. The cabs in GC are like small buses that pick up a bunch of people and then make multiple stops. If you can find a private cab, it will take 10 minutes or so. If the cab makes a bunch of stops, it will take longer.

hi some more questions what he web page that i an fnd the wave runers?

it looks like fun since we are not "snokling people" if we booke for early time would we have time for sme shopping and beach our ship is leaves at 4????

We just returned from GC and did the Island Mktg. Wave runner excursion. We choose the early tour (9am) so that we could beat all the other folks to Stingray City. We arrived via taxi, $6pp one way. Our taxi driver gave us his card so we could call him to pick us up after the excursion. It only took 15 min. to drive there (didn't make any other stops). We walked through the hotel to the beach were we waited for the wave runners. There were 4 wave runners (1 couple per ski) and the guide. We had brought our snorkel gear but found out you really didn't need it so we stored it in their shack (we did take our mask and snorkel and would do so again!). We stored them in the front compartment of our sea doo along with our towels and nothing got wet (our friends had their digital camera and it was just fine, just make sure to secure them correctly and they will seal). After a brief lesson on how to operate the ski we were off. All the hubbys drove out to the stingrays, this took about 15-20 min. We had beautiful weather, calm seas so we had no worrys about water in our eyes (wore my sunglasses and didn't have any problems). Once we arrived our guide anchored our ski's while we went to greet the stingrays. We were the third or fourth group there so the rays were very hungry and friendly. The water was only about 3 feet deep (we were in the very middle since there were only 8 of us). Our guide had food for them and the feeding began, what a rush to have a ray take food out of your hands, there is nothing I can think of that compares to it. We were there for about 30-45 min., then it was off to Rum Point Beach. We rested for a while, purchased a drink (folks there drinks are very expensive, $11 american dollars for one drink) their prices were in Cayman dollars so ask what the american price is before you buy, then you won't be shocked when you get the bill. After our brief rest is was back on the ski's. This time I drove back to the Cayman resort, what a blast. (We owned a jet ski so I knew how to drive one). Well needless to say I was goofing off and dumped my hubby into the sea! LOL To bad I didn't have a camera, what a great picture it would have made. So of course I had to go in the water too! Well we got back onto the ski and caught up with the rest of the group and were back to the resort in about 20 min. We thanked our guide and went to call our driver. He arrived about 10 min. later, drove us to town since we wanted to do some shopping. We arrived in town about noon time, spent the next three hours shopping, eating and drinking at Margaritaville (OMG, sssssoooooooo much fun!!!!!) then headed back to the ship. We will definitely do this excursion again next year when we bring our kids. I wish it would have been a bit longer but was glad to see some of Georgetown.

Archived