Coming Soon? Cells at Sea...What do you think?

You all warm my heart with your responses and I only wish I'd been able to figure out how to make this thread a poll. Because from what I see you overwhelmingly are against it with rare exception.

I would hope the cruiselines would sit up and take notice, but they won't. Ever onward ... add the technology ... raise the prices to pay for it ... experience the fallout ... try to remove the "amenity" ... leave the prices ... I'm tired just thinking about it:D

Again I say, "I'm on vacation".......No calls, no e-mails, no worries. And I wouldn't look for them to be useful in the middle of a trans-Atlantic trip.....you'll be a might far from those familiar cell towers. As far as any other port, as long as your in "Cell-shot" of a tower, you can use the thing.

But again I say, "I'm on vacation" :D If things at home fall apart the minute you board the plane for "vacation", then maybe you shouldn't bother going and take all the medication the doctor's gonna give you for Hypertension.

These modern conveniances would and do work great in today's Navy when your deployed away from home and family for six months but they realy don't have a place when your "On Vacation" on a cruise ship. :D

(3 six month Med deployments and a few 3 month trips pre-internet age FF-1097, CG-17)

I understand the feelings that most people have to cell phones but,we have a grand child who is very sick and without our ability to keep in touch we would not be able to travel...there are other people to consider and that is a two way street.my wife and i say to be oblivous again would be a true gift from g-d. yes we do everything we can to be subtle but depending on the part of the world we may offend some people so very sorry.

I understand the feelings that most people have to cell phones but,we have a grand child who is very sick and without our ability to keep in touch we would not be able to travel
A perfectly acceptable reason to carry a cell with you. Even on vacation and if I was in this situation, I would do the same. As far as other folks "hearing" the ring, I would suspect your a little more discrete with it and placing your calls in port where a cell tower is active.

Absolutely there are reasons for carrying a cellpone and no one is disputing that! Generally, you're in port almost every day with a hundred different ways to communicate with loved ones back home.

This is about the general use of cellphones throughout the cruise ... having the ability to chat away at length because of a new technology now in the testing stage on some ships (see original post).

I am confident that Alsas is not one of the people we're talking about here. So rest assured you have no reason to apologize. There are always reasons to have to keep in touch with someone back home. That's not the same as up to 2000 or more people walking all over the ship with a cellphone attached to their ears blathering on about the stock market, what they did all day or what they'll do tomorrow.

Archived