What to buy in Costa Rica?

Keisele

Bought beautiful wood serving tray (for bread); and two cutting boards (one solid rosewood and the other mixed exotic woods with rosewood as the main section). Also some lovely coffee.

We had a lovely time walking through the stalls at the pier then out the security gates and around town. We stopped for a beer at a local sidewalk bar and had a great time. There were kids trying to earn cash, e.g. get you a chair, etc. however the owner shooed them away from us and then he (the owner) brought his beer out and sat with us. Funny, funny guy -- we had a great time. (Pics in the link below under Panama trip).

Kathy:)

For those travelling to CR, organic coffee would be the #1 thing to buy ( if you're a coffee drinker). I also recommend Cacique (if you drink alcohol) Its a sugar cane liquor that can be used in any mixed drink. Wood carvings are popular as well, and beautiful.

Don't foget the chocolate covered coffee beans and cranberries by Cafe Britt. Oh sooo good!!

Is there anything else near the pier that may be of interest to see? Have not booked any tours yet and I am hesitant to venture out! Not interested in going to the rainforest either. If I can buy some coffee, walk a bit around the pier I am content but if there is any place fairly safe to see near the pier I would be interested in hearing more. Thanks for any info! :)

After we walked through the booths at the pier and bought our wooden pieces my DH ran back to the ship to put them away (too heavy to lug around) then we went out of the security area. We turned to the right and then headed up the first street (there is a nice family park on the right hand side); one block up and then we walked one block down to the water front. This block is kinda of a "mall street" so after viewing the waterfront and trees in the park we walked up along the "mall street" stopped for a beer and a rest and then went another half block before turning left to head back to the ship. Lots of interesting stores including a quasi-aquarium. In essence it was a two block radius from the pier so we felt safe and yet we got to see a lot of interesting things. Pictures in the link below. (I just added a few more pictures of the Main Street to give you a better idea of what it is like there.)

Kathy:)

• 8 months later...

Brightly painted wooden ox carts are great souveniers of Costa Rica. Little ones can sit on a table and large ones (come unassembled) can be used as liquor cabinets.

I don't know what I accidently hit to make the letters so dark..but i'm not shouting.

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Can you buy really good coffee at thr grocery store? If not, where can you buy and what are the best coffee beans you can buy in Puntarenas?

Is the vanilla different than what you buy in Mexico?

I want to buy coffee in both Costa Rica and Panama and I am looking for the best coffee beans I can find. All recommendations are welcome.

Archived