Sailing Blind

Lowie

My husband is legally blind with retinitis pigmentosa (rp) and we have never cruised before. we're sailing with our friends/neighbors who have been on many cruises.

we are interested in excursions but don't want to waste money on things that will not work for him.

he can see a little, but it's not clear vision. he's in good physical condition and wants to do so much.

any suggestions for making things easier?

First things first, where are you all sailing to? This may help people be able to answer things a little better. A lot can depend on which ship and what ports you will be hitting.

I have very limited vision, none in one eye and limited in the other. But I have found things to do both on ship and shore. He will be with people he knows and that know him, which should make things easier.

I'll peek back in a day or two, and in the meantime, I am sure others will chime in.

Enjoy your sailing.

In Grand Cayman I highly recommend the Stingray City tour, especially with Soto's or Capt. Marvin. The water is only about waist deep and you get to feed and touch the stingrays. They feel like velvet but their mouths are like vacuum cleaners when they take the food from your hand. In Cozomel we went to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins but if I was going back I would go to one of the water parks and snorkel. Tulum is wonderful but it is a long bus ride and needed more time than we had. It would have been better for us to do that from a land vacation. We have never been to Jamaica.

Archived