Car rental or Taxi??

petefamily7@yahoo.com

I hope someone has a great answer here.

I took hours looking for the best car rental rates on the islands we are going but my brother in law doesn't think we will need it.

What are your thoughts?

We are in Hilo for the day and are planning VNP.

Maui for 2 days and plan Ioa Vally/Lahaina and maybe Haleakala national park.

and a luau.

Kona for the day at Capt. Cook monument.

Kauai overnight, waimea canyon and maybe Ke'e beach.

We have 7 in my family.

Rental Cost:

Hilo 100.00$

Maui 276

Kona 100

Kauai 130

Any thoughts?

Hi petefamily,

The convenience of stopping when and where you want for whatever time you want to spend at a site is definitely worth having your own car. This is especially true when visiting Volcano. Besides, I'm not aware of taxi service on the neighbor islands. Is there any? (Now I'm wondering...oh boy, this could be embarrassing. LOL!):o

Definitely worth it. Hope this helps!

Aloha,

Noreen.

There is taxi service on the other islands, but definitely not economical. I think a friend of ours paid quite a bit just to get to & from Poipu on Kauai. All of your plans sound car worthy.... Although the only place we went on Maui was Ka'anapali via shuttle - so I can't comment on that one. The drives for VNP & Waimea Canyon are not short drives. We loves just going at our own pace. We rented cars in 3 ports (only actually made it to two of them) but felt it was money well spent. The most expensive rental was Hilo since we ended up sharing a minivan with the family we were traveling with. It sounds like maybe your BIL isn't taking into consideration that you are splitting the expenses between two families. Minivans are limited so they can command a higher price.

Another vote for renting a car. When you go to VNP, perhaps some of you would enjoy walking across the crater from Volcano House (around 3 miles, rather rough) and someone could pick you up at the parking lot by Halemaumau crater.

The Captain Cook monument is a fairly long walk, I've been told. You will be able to drive easily to the Place of Refuge, which is interesting.

If anyone is old enough to have a Golden Age Passport - I think it's 62 - you will be able to get in free to both VNP and the Place of Refuge.

In Kona you will want to rent from Dollar or Thrifty at the King Kamehameha Hotel - right next to the tender pier. The airport is quite a ways away. Nancy

Doesnt sound like he's really thought it thru. First of all, you'll probably be hard pressed in Hilo to find a cab that can carry 7 of you and if not, that means 2 cabs. Does he really think you'll be able to get a tour of VNP with a vancab or 2 cabs for less than $100? Maybe if you can find a driver that is willing to work by the hour, but I cant imagine even that working out for 7 people at less than $100 unless maybe its a short trip out/back with limited stops. What was the average price HE was figuring for HILO? Just curious what his expectations were. That way we'd have a better idea knowing why he was thinking this way.

I hope someone has a great answer here.

I took hours looking for the best car rental rates on the islands we are going but my brother in law doesn't think we will need it.

What are your thoughts?

We are in Hilo for the day and are planning VNP.

Maui for 2 days and plan Ioa Vally/Lahaina and maybe Haleakala national park.

and a luau.

Kona for the day at Capt. Cook monument.

Kauai overnight, waimea canyon and maybe Ke'e beach.

We have 7 in my family.

Rental Cost:

Hilo 100.00$

Maui 276

Kona 100

Kauai 130

Any thoughts?

Try www.orbitz.com or www.travelocity.com for your minivan rental, I show that National, Budget, Alamo have much cheaper rates on minivans that week.

Also in Kauai, the ship leaves day 2 at 1:00 PM. save money by renting the first day, or from noon to noon (day 1-2), day 2 there is a nice beach is front of the Marriott Kauai (Kalapaki Beach) with watersports, restaurants, etc., this is a 10 minute walk from the ship or there are free shuttles.

Kona, there is a great family beach 25 minutes up the Kohala Coast, in front of the Marriott Waikiola (Anaeho`omalu Bay Beach), NCL uses this beach for a couple of their excursions, hotel next door, watersports, Petroglyphs on the grounds, 10 minute walk to the Hilton Village with the free dolphin pool and show.

I think it sounds like the rental win! Just so you know we have 7 in just my family and they have 4 more. The mini van rental will just seat us. I wondered if I called the agency direct if they would have a 12 passenger to rent??

He thinks he will be able to decide last min. on a car rental but from what I have read that might be impossible.

I will just keep my rentals!

Thanks again everyone!

Angie

I think it sounds like the rental win! Just so you know we have 7 in just my family and they have 4 more. The mini van rental will just seat us. I wondered if I called the agency direct if they would have a 12 passenger to rent??

He thinks he will be able to decide last min. on a car rental but from what I have read that might be impossible.

I will just keep my rentals!

Thanks again everyone!

Angie

Just to help you know that renting a van is the right choice. A taxi from Kahului to Lahaina on Maui runs well over $100 r/t. A taxi trip around the north shore from Honolulu on Oahu would be significantly more than that! A taxi from Nawiliwili up Waimea Canyon on Kauai would be at least $200 r/t! And of course, a van taxi might be even more. Those are estimates for a regular car taxi.

Rental is the way to go for saving money and giving you the flexibility to go where you want to go when you want to get there.

beachchick

Archived