POA excursions and car rental

AlohaCruiser

If you don't book an excursion thru NCL but thru a private tour company, do the tour companies pick you up at the dock? Or do you need a rental car or taxi? Also, I am planning on renting a car in Kauai. Will there be a shuttle waiting when I get off the ship? Do I let the company know I am coming in on the POA? Finally if reserving the car over the internet, do I specify the airport location as the pickup location?
Thanks for the help.

Car Rentals: In Maui, use the airport location. We confirmed directly with the car rental offices on the islands and told them we were on the ship. They had their shuttles waiting at the dock in all ports and ran them all day to their offices. I stongly urge you to rent cars in all ports if you can't schedule a private tour. NCL's shore excursions are about 40% higher than doing it yourself. (we rented a mini-van in Maui for 6 people: 10 hours for $66 total (tax included), the Lahania shuttle was $12.50 per person EACH WAY....a great savings to us and more flexibility)

Shore Excursions: In most ports, only the NCL tour busses can get back to the ship, but in all ports you as a passenger can walk out to the main road and out of the ship yard. There is a parking lot across the street from the dock in Maui. In Hilo, there is a turn around area in front of the dock. Kona is not a problem because it is a public pier where the tenders drop you off. Kauai is the most problemmatic. You may have to walk to the Anchor Cove Shopping Center to be picked up. (about a block). When you make your arrangements, ask the person at the other end about where they can pick you up. They will know better than any of us.

Archived