first time cruiser- lifejackets for kids?

vtwinter

my DH and three kids (3 months, 2 and 7) will be on the Dawn to the Western Caribbean in March. I am so nervous about the tender boats and wondering if all the children (esp. the two little ones) should have lifejackets. I've had a hard time finding ones small enough for the newborn baby. it seems crazy to have them on a small boat without lifejackets.

also, should we bring car seats for the two youngest. i bought a portable one for our two year old, but for the baby it seems I would have to bring the infant seat with the base for any excursions where we might take a taxi.

so grateful for any advice which might soothe my worries.

thank you

VT ...

I think the life jackets would be a very good idea, especially for the little ones. If the 7 year old can swim well I don't know if I would worry too much about them.

Chances are nothing will happen on the tender. What I would be worried about with a very small child is them falling ito the water while trying to move from ship to tender and back. That's why the life jacket is a good idea.

For finding them .. maybe a boating store or marina. Online might work too.

As for the carseat .. the answer is what type of risk are you willing to take? sure, the carseat will take up room, but would it not be batter to have it?

Just curious ... is the 3 month old child able to sail yet? I know on Princess the minimum age is 6 months and even 1 year old on some sailings. I'm sure you have checked into this ... but have never seen anyone on these boards take one that young.

Anyway ... good luck and have fun.

my DH and three kids (3 months, 2 and 7) will be on the Dawn to the Western Caribbean in March. I am so nervous about the tender boats and wondering if all the children (esp. the two little ones) should have lifejackets. I've had a hard time finding ones small enough for the newborn baby. it seems crazy to have them on a small boat without lifejackets.

also, should we bring car seats for the two youngest. i bought a portable one for our two year old, but for the baby it seems I would have to bring the infant seat with the base for any excursions where we might take a taxi.

thank you

I am taking car seats, but will only do excursions that use buses. I don't want to have to deal with car seats at the beaches or on excursions. I'll store them in the closet of my stateroom.

Carnival allows infants over 4 months.

Here is the life vest I am looking into for tendering and beach play:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/132/117.html

I also saw some infant/toddler life vests at Costco this week.

thank you

I am taking car seats, but will only do excursions that use buses. I don't want to have to deal with car seats at the beaches or on excursions. I'll store them in the closet of my stateroom.

Carnival allows infants over 4 months.

Here is the life vest I am looking into for tendering and beach play:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/132/117.html

I also saw some infant/toddler life vests at Costco this week.

thanks for the advice about lifevests and car seats. as for the baby, NCL will allow infants under 6 months as long as you have a letter from your pediatrician stating that the baby is in good health and safe for cruising. you have to fax the letter to NCL in advance and bring a copy with you when you board.

thanks again!

There are life jackets for infants - try sportmart online. They are based on weight.

You may be able to use your infant carrier without the base. The is just for convenience - pop in and out of the car. Take a look at your owner's manual. You wil also be able to strap it on the plane rear facing in a seat the same way you can do with a taxi.

Have a great trip!

There are life jackets for infants - try sportmart online. They are based on weight.

You may be able to use your infant carrier without the base. The is just for convenience - pop in and out of the car. Take a look at your owner's manual. You wil also be able to strap it on the plane rear facing in a seat the same way you can do with a taxi.

Have a great trip!

Assuming taxis in the country where you will be traveling are required to have seatbelts.

We have always cruised w/the kids lifevests. We have been on 3 cruises with them, starting when they were 2 (they are now 5). We found some great ones at Costco a few years ago that we are still using. They are wonderful! They sell them seasonally (just saw them in stock). The size they are in goes up to 50lbs but they have many sizes. We always use them on the tenders, at the beach and even in the ships pools. We have taken them on excursions, pretty much everywhere. Even they can swim now, my son feels comfortable at the beach w/it on when the waves come and we can relax more while watching them, same goes for the ships pool. As far as the tenders goes, I aways make the kids wear a vest when we are on them, or on any small boat (excursion boats, etc....), it's just a good idea for kids when on small watercraft.

Have a great cruise!!

Assuming taxis in the country where you will be traveling are required to have seatbelts.

Most countries/islands in and bordering the Caribbean (including Mexico) have seat belt and car seat requirements.

You may have to look down behind the seat for the belts but they are there. Once in a while you may have to wait for a second taxi. Just takes a little bit of patience to look for the belts.

Have a safe trip!

We were on the Coral Princess last week and in the Muster Drill they said if you need a life jacket for a baby/small child to ask your steward - we asked and he brought a small one right away. My baby is 10 months old. We had it in the room with the other life jackets. It looked like it was ok for infants 6 months and up.

Lisa

Archived