Taxi & Safety with kids?

jellj

I will have a almost 3, 5 and 7 year old with me. I would like to take a taxi to Paradise Beach. By any chance do the taxi drivers carry car seats (just a wish). If not would you feel comfortable taking the kids in a taxi?

In St. Thomas they were more like open air buses that moved slow. I felt ok with the kids there.

We have been to Cozumel several times with our two sons (now ages 7,9) and the first time was several years ago. The taxi drivers drive fast and a little nuts but that is typical of drivers in Mexico. The drive from the cruise port to the beaches, including Paradise Beach, is a straight shot down one long main road. There are no turns or having to maneuver alot so it is a pretty simple course to drive. We have never had a problem with the taxis in Mexico and feel fine taking them to the beach (and don't have a lot of choice either).

The taxis won't have car seats but many have seat belts. The drivers often speak only a little English but are friendly. Be sure to ask the price before you go someplace so there are no surprises. Also, it is better to have small bills so you don't have to get change as they sometimes don't have it handy.

Have a fun trip!

David

I took a taxi to Paradise Beach last March and the driver went pretty fast but, there was not much traffic. My 8 and 11 year old were fine with the trip. On the way back to the cruise ship we were with a small group and we got a van which seemed a bit safer than the single taxi. The taxi did not have AC the van did.

Archived