Amtrak between Newark / D.C.

sgh20037

We are planning to take Amtrak from D.C. to Newark station - then cab from station to Cape Liberty for our cruise in September. We are Southern Californian's who have never been to NJ / NY or New England - this will be a totally new experience for us. So thought I'd ask some of you experienced East Coasters.

I have seen several board questions and comments on people driving to the Cape Liberty port - but nothing on the train service. It looks like a 4 hour trip from D.C. to Newark. Do the trains run pretty much on schedule? And I'm guessing about a 15 minute cab trip?

Sherry

We are planning to take Amtrak from D.C. to Newark station - then cab from station to Cape Liberty for our cruise in September. We are Southern Californian's who have never been to NJ / NY or New England - this will be a totally new experience for us. So thought I'd ask some of you experienced East Coasters.

I have seen several board questions and comments on people driving to the Cape Liberty port - but nothing on the train service. It looks like a 4 hour trip from D.C. to Newark. Do the trains run pretty much on schedule? And I'm guessing about a 15 minute cab trip?

Sherry

Amtrak runs two types of trans between DC and Newark's Penn Station Acela(Metroliners) or regular trains. During the day Acela(metroliners) run about every hour or so but are reservation required trains. They are more expensive than the regular trains and are about 1 hour faster. the regular trains run much less often are less expessive but no reserved seating...btw reserve seating is somewhat a misnomer as it means you are guaranteed a seat not a specific one. On the non-reserved seating there are many specials(buy one get one free AAA discounts etc) You can get a look at the schedule at www.amtrak.com I believe. Its closer to an 1/2 than 15 minutes to the cruise terminal....as for being on schedule....it is mostly except when it gets screwed up. Sometime you can fly cheaper from Reagan National to EWR than the train and the airport is about the same distance from the Cruise terminal....

Archived