Westerdam 1/11-1/18

retiredldo

I am going to post a mini review of the above trip and saw that minitor has addressed many of the points but I will add my 37 cents to the mix. This was our 14th cruise and 3rd on Hal (we have been on the Z the O and now the W dam ships)

Embarkation was smooth and if you do fill our your immigration forms online, you will have a choice of two lines one for paper work filled out and one not. Now the line with paper work filled out had about 50-60 folks in line, so even though my stuff was filled out I went to the other line and right to the front. The land staff was a bit rough to say the least, even asked one handing out paper work about if you had been sick before etc and questioned her about the virus on the ship her lie was "nothing like that on the westerdam" they need to improve their customer service skills and Likeability factor.

We ate in the lido about 12 and went out in the aft pool till 2 when they announced the cabins were ready, went to the cabin and unpacked our bags as they had all arrived. Roamed the ship and waited for the life jacket drill, well conducted.

The sail away was fun, point here get near one of the staff , they were at the four corners of the lido deck pool mid ship Questions are asked and first one up to them with the correct answer wins a prize, I got a Dam Mug, there were shirts, rolling bags drinks alot of fun

Service very good through out the ship with one exception, our waiter was terrible, terrible. Asst waiter was off and running for the meals and stuff really did not see much of him. The head waiter best we have ever seen, I think as I have on other HAL trips that they have the wait staff stretched out to thin. We were on the early dining 545 top floor.

Food was good it is mass produced cruise food, they even tell you that they produce 1200 meals per day. I know this going in so it is not a complaint but what it is. The beef is one area that they can improve in for both quality and taste. The portions have really gotten smaller over the years and that is a good thing I guess. Good dining experience and great table mates. Food was good in the Lido for both breakfast and lunch, that is where we ate those meals every day. But ate in the dining room for breakfast once, like to try the eggs benedict. Not very good, as eggs were over cooked and hollandise sauce was ok. Did see them asking a couple of gents to leave that were wearing shorts, that was good. I wear a tux but would say that was not prevalent outfit for men, dark suit although therer was one guy with shorts a tie and sports jacket and he was not tossed so who knows The chocolate feast was ok, they had problems with the chocolate fountain, so they shut it down, good selection, but not sure why they dont bring some coffee out there (out there being lido deck pool) You have to get your snacks and then into the lido dining area for the drinks.

Entertainment was excellent great shows, went to them all, Darlene and the Hal cats play great music, we would do some dancing to them up in the crows nest. The group they had playing in the ocean bar played good music but the songs went on forever, shorter songs more variety would have been better. The hal cats did that, variety with shorter tunes. Good mix with the comedians, juggler and staff shows, the dancers and the singers had 2 very energetic shows and both were well received. We found the comedians (Julie and the one from the UK very funny) in this day and age you are not going to please everyone.

The idol competion was packed, and the judges added a great deal of humor to the contest fantastic a must see

Ports Grand Turk we took a cab for 3 bucks per person to GOverners beach about 5 minutes away a great beach not very crowded and clean This was a very enjoyable stop very low keyed and relaxing

Tortola got in at 2 took a cab to cane garden beach, a nice beach, I would opt to go elsewhere next time but with the late arrival went there and this is the night that they had the BBQ up on deck.

St Marten rented a car as always had planned to do a few stops but went to Mullet bay 2 chairs umbrella $15 for the day a beautiful beach. great location some snorkeling and fantastic water

I guess you can see we dont go to shop to many nice beaches to go to

Half moon cay was great however I think that they have screwed up some of the snorkeling it was better right near the channel where the tenders come in but very few fish this time, I think they have done something with the eco system recommendation walk to the other end of the beach about a mile and much better snorkleing They also have snorkleing with the sting rays, Hmm 29 bucks to snorkle in about 3-4 feet of water with sting rays penned in ??? How exciting can that be oh well

Cabin 5041 near the elevators no problem balcony outstanding room steward.

Capt was out an about and very friendly as was the staff, I had gone to work out about 6 am one morning and then went to drop off something at the desk passed about 10-12 employees everyone of them said good morning or how was it going etc Terrific

Cruise director was ok, nothing special funny at times lame at others

Disembarkation the shore staff had an attitude problem but once off starting at about 0845 we were in the airport and through the line by 920 so no problems we had a 1030 flight and it went smooth however they had luggage by color and that is fine but with in the colors were numbers so it was confusing at best. We had to bags damaged one leather luggage tag disappeared from the time we put it outside our cabin till we picked up the luggage

Great vacation good ports lousy arrival time at tortola

We would definitely cruise on HAL again and the westerdam

Ok will answer any questions suggestions or nothings

Archived