U/W pix from camera to flash drive without a computer?

w&k

Need some help folks... I've been looking for some type of a gizmo that will take the pictures off my camera (or X-D card) and dump them onto a flash drive.

I don't have a laptop, and really don't want to borrow one and tote it along since I have to fly.

Does anyone know of something that will do this little job and where I might find it? We'll be flying out of Orlando, so we will have a good selection of electronics stores.

Failing that, does anyone know if RCCL will dump cameras/cards to a flash drive or a CD? And what the nominal fee (:)) might be for that service?

Thanks so much!

Wendy

Need some help folks... I've been looking for some type of a gizmo that will take the pictures off my camera (or X-D card) and dump them onto a flash drive.

I don't have a laptop, and really don't want to borrow one and tote it along since I have to fly.

Does anyone know of something that will do this little job and where I might find it? We'll be flying out of Orlando, so we will have a good selection of electronics stores.

Failing that, does anyone know if RCCL will dump cameras/cards to a flash drive or a CD? And what the nominal fee (:)) might be for that service?

Thanks so much!

Wendy

Wendy,

There are a couple portable drives that you can download your X-D card (or other typical flash digital media form) photos to and then connect to your PC later by USB. They are put out by Wolverine Data. I don't know where you can get them except on-line (Wolverine Data directly, Amazon, etc.): http://www.wolverinedata.com/ - look up "FlashPro" or "FlashPac". I can't vouch for them as I haven't tried them out nor do I know anyone who did. The reviews sound promising, though.

Good Luck.

As you may well know, the lowest cost alternative likely will be, buy mo' cards......That's my approach, take an extra card and 2 sets of charged batterys--I'm good for a week and hundreds of pictures.

Shop online for cards. Possibly using pricegrabber.com or pricewatch.com

More cards is the cheapest alternative. AS stated previously, there are several small portable harddrives you could buy. I use an Apple iPod Photo (4th generation iPod). Plus it into the camera and the photos download. Then I can keep them on the card as well as a backup and put in a new card. The iPod stores more than enough photos for vacation in addition to the music.

Mike

Shop online for cards. Possibly using pricegrabber.com or pricewatch.com

http://dealnews.com/memory/ makes it easier to find the kind of memory you want for a cheap price.

More memory cards would be the cheapest, unless you take lots and lots of photos at the highest setting on your camera.

Burning your photos to a CD is really cheap if you can find someone with a notebook to do it for you. It would be spendy to have the cruise ship photo people do it.

A hard drive based storage unit isn't the cheapest, but it will hold lots and lots of photos. The top of the line of these units is make by Epson. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63061067

I actually found a good sale at Office Max on a 2GB Olympus X-D card - like $55 (including tax and shipping), and 2x priority club points in addition. Hopefully, it will arrive at my in laws house before we leave on Saturday morning.

A wonderful CCer from our thread volunteered the use of his laptop for me to do the transfer, so I'll have 3GB on cards and another 3GB on flash drive, and I'm going to take some blank CDs as well. That should hold me through five sets of dives.

The wolverine products look wonderful, and I didn't know that ipods did anything but music. I had not even considered an external hard drive, but that might be a good solution for me to transport large datasets home from work (or dive photos, as the case may be!)

Thanks so much for all your help!

Wendy

A wonderful CCer from our thread volunteered the use of his laptop for me to do the transfer, so I'll have 3GB on cards and another 3GB on flash drive, and I'm going to take some blank CDs as well. That should hold me through five sets of dives.
Wendy, I suggest that you check with the kind volunteer and see if their laptop will burn DVDs. They hold so much more data than CDs. You'll need only 1 DVD instead of 8 CDs.

Archived